Collective Struggle

“Our struggles are not only external, against laws and institution, but internal, against our own malformed habits, feelings, and values. In this sense, we all participate in dignity because we all struggle against domination.”[1]

We all struggle. We struggle externally or internally, but we are struggling against something that seeks to dominate us. This is the argument set forth by Vincent W. Lloyd in his book, Black Dignity: The Struggle Against Domination. In this work, Llyod unpacks the philosophy underlying the Black Lives movement, while also offering the central philosophy all are engaged – the struggle against domination. Llyon argues that this is the basis of Black philosophy, which is the basis of all philosophy. There is dignity in struggle when one chooses to participate in the struggle. 

Black Dignity

What is dignity? Many consider dignity an inherited trait; something that a person is born with and posses in their personhood. The struggle is to have this dignity realized and affirmed by other people, institutions and culture, yet Black Dignity is different – dignity is performance. As Lloyd eloquently argues, “…dignity is to be found in bodies moving in rhythm.”[2] He goes on to say, “When we turn from dignity as status to dignity as performance, as struggle, we find it easier to state clearly what dignity is not then what it is.”[3] 

Similar to the struggle for status, Black Dignity is concerned with elevating equality for all people. As Lloyd stats on the Yale University Press Podcast, “dignity that is manifest in struggle. We all have the capacity to exercise because we all struggle in some ways. Those of us in positions privilege exercise it is less. Those who are subject to domination exercise it more because they struggle more….There is a kind of nobility that goes along with this struggle.” We all struggle against domination. Some are more practiced in the way of struggle than those who have more privilege. 

This is not unique to the struggle that the current racial justice movement is engaged. This is the point that all people can relate and find their own story of struggle within the common story. Interestedly, Lloyd makes the observation that all people have a story of struggle. “This is the human condition: we are at once master and slave, enjoying some benefits of privilege and struggling against some who have privilege.”[5]  

Answer is Collective Struggle

This is the place where Lloyd is most inclusive and most persuasive drawing all people into recognizing their own struggle, thereby relating to the struggle of others. “Racial Domination may seem like a special problem but in another sense is a universal problem.”[6] Everyone is struggling against some form of domination, whether external or internal.

This is the place where I connected to the argument that Lloyd is presenting. I often feel reluctant to engage in conversations concerning racial discrimination. I can simply own the ways I have participated tacitly while trying to avoid actively contributing to the problem being addressed. Yet, I can relate to the ways I have experienced domination, both internally and externally. Further, I can empathize with other groups that vocalize their own struggles by being aware of the struggles I have. While I may still lack adequate experience of the struggle being named, I receive the invitation to the collective struggle and join with the hope of a better future that is worth working toward.  

‌1. Vincent W Lloyd, Black Dignity (Yale University Press, 2023), 17-18. 

2. Ibid., 4. 

3. Ibid., 5. 

4. Jessica Holahan “Ep. 93 – Vincent W. Lloyd on Black Dignity,” Yale University Press, November 22, 2022, 3:40-4:26. 

5. Lloyd, 17. 

6. Holahan, 13:15-13:23. 

Chad McSwain

Chad is a systematic creative serving in pastoral ministry for nearly 20 years, Chad is a professional question-asker and white-board enthusiast, who enjoys helping people discover their own passions and purpose. A life-long learner, he has a B.A, Philosophy - Univ. Central Oklahoma, M.A Theology - Fuller Seminary, M.Div. Perkins School of Theology at SMU and is pursuing a Doctor of Leadership - George Fox University. He is an ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church, currently serving as Lead Pastor of Whitesboro UMC. Chad and his wife, Brandi live in Prosper, Texas along with their three children, two pugs and a chameleon.

4 responses to “Collective Struggle”

Chad
    Great point:
    “Some are more practiced in the way of struggle than those who have more privilege.”
    I am curious how you respond to this when you find it in your congregation ?
    You do not have to answer this but I am compelled to ask….What is your struggle (if you would want to name one)? I am reflecting on this: “Everyone is struggling against some form of domination, whether external or internal.”

I like your honesty here:
    “While I may still lack adequate experience of the struggle being named…”

I am curious what your response to this is:
    “I receive the invitation to the collective struggle and join with the hope of a better future that is worth working toward.”

So….I ask many questions
    Do not feel compelled to answer them all!! Many times it is easier for me to reflect in asking questions instead of reflecting with statements. My therapist in me cant shut down! HAHA

2. Chad – I felt a similar reluctance to engage in a conversation about race, but I know that change will only come when we do begin responding more collectively instead of individually. Thank you for your honesty and succinct summary of Lloyd’s Black Dignity.

3. Hi Chad,
    I like and agree with your statement here;
    “While I may still lack adequate experience of the struggle being named, I receive the invitation to the collective struggle and join with the hope of a better future that is worth working toward.”
    I believe we are able to stand with others in their struggles even when we haven’t experienced exactly what they go through.

4. Chad,

Great post! I really like your point that you made here with “Everyone is struggling against some form of domination, whether external or internal.”

Competition, dominance, and ego is such a danger in todays leadership and even Christian leadership. Well done!