Civility and Confidence

In my view, books like “Spirit of the Cities” and “The Bible, Justice and Public Theology” don’t offer a clear vision for the role of public theology. But with the reading of Ross Douthat’s Bad Religion: How we became a Nation of Heretics[1], I can envision the robust and essential role of the public theology.

Douthat’s first two chapters are a history of the American Protestant and Catholic Churches in the early- and mid-twentieth century. With the gruesome reality of world wars, alternatives were needed to the unjustifiable over-optimism of modernism; that alternative was the resurgence Christian orthodoxy. Douthat calls this “neo-evangelicalism”.

What was the catalyst of such theological renewal and church growth? Part of the story was certainly the post-WWII context: no one could believe a utopian society was around the corner. The culture recognized again that there were deep injustices and evil in the world. The American public was ready for an alternative way of life; there was a religious openness, but answers would not likely have been found in orthodoxy without the influence of public theologians. But because of them, for a few decades American society had a resurgence of Christian belief.

Douthat goes on to describe how that brief era was lost.   One of the reasons offered for the heretical movement away from orthodoxy was a shift toward political and social liberalism starting in the 60s. Liberalism in society felt like untethered progress, but applied to church doctrine there was a rejection of the inerrancy of scripture, acceptance of ordaining homosexuals, and even questions about the divinity of Christ. The slide into liberal thought wasn’t just for the mainline denominations but evangelicals likewise lost their convictions, or rather traded them for “unbiblical and self-serving influences within Christianity itself: “prosperity Gospel” preachers (a la Joel Osteen); Christological revisionists in the professoriate and the media; anodyne “spiritualists” like Oprah and Deepak Chopra; and ideologues who have wrongly appropriated Christianity for political ends (on both the left and the right).”[2]

But I’d like to reflect on that brief mid-century resurgence in orthodoxy. Wystan Hugh Auden—poet and prolific writer, Reinhold Niebuhr—theologian and professor, Billy Graham—America’s evangelist, Fulton Sheen—an American Bishop and television host—as well as Martin Luther King—civil rights leader, all with their various audiences each counting in the tens of millions were all a part this Renaissance. They made orthodoxy relevant to the public and a part of the public discourse. Niebuhhr realism, deeply rooted in the biblical narrative, was a welcome alternative to the unfounded optimism of modernism. Graham’s unheard of popularity took evangelicals out of the Bible belt religious fringe and into the mainstream. He walked the tension of advocating conservative theological positions while helping evangelicals become active in addressing the day’s social problems.[3]   Bishop Sheen had a television audience of nearly 30 million who regularly listened to him take biblical concepts and apply them to real life. These men, coming from very different theological camps, seemed to transcend their heritage and gained a much broader audience. MLK became a beacon for peaceful change to the civil laws that discriminated against African-Americans, all by means of thoughtfully applying theology to public and political discourse. Like Jesus, he had a posture of compassion but wasn’t afraid to throw people out of the temple either.

I’m impressed by two values that surface from their example. Generally they leveraged a moment in public awareness that something deeper, more substantive was needed. These men stepped up with civility and confidence. By civility I mean the ability to have a broad reach, an attitude where a discussion is encouraged, where those who are different aren’t enemies, but friends—friends that respect different convictions. Graham, for example, “struck a delicate balance between Evangelical rigor and openhanded ecumenism… between warnings about God’s justice and promises of God’s all-encompassing love.” Likewise was “Martin Luther King’s ability to use the language of Scripture to break down ideological barriers and transcend partisan divides”.[4] These men also have a lot to teach us about confidence. None of these men were anti-intellectual; each one held a deep orthodoxy, they were well-versed and willing to go public with their faith. I recently saw an old Woody Allen Show segment, where Woody Allen was interviewing Billy Graham on his show. Allen, with wit and a bit of snobbery, asked Rev. Graham about pre-marital sex. Allen, in the age of free sex, said something like I couldn’t imagine buying a car without driving it around the block for a few times. Rev Graham simply and clearly talked about what scripture say about premarital sex and marriage and of course he also talked about God’s love for Woody Allen.

Where are today’s public theologians? Where are the men and women who capture the public’s imagination with orthodoxy – who draw millions away from heresy and back toward God? I guess it’s up to all of us. But I’d love to see another Niebuhr, King or Graham.

[1] Ross Douthat, Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics, Reprint ed. (New York: Free Press, 2013), 1.

[2] David Wilezol, “Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics,” Washington Times, May 18, 2012, accessed April 7, 2015, http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/18/book-review-bad-religion/?page=all.

[3] Douthat, 37.

Dave Young

husband, dad, friend, student of culture and a pastor.

11 responses to “Civility and Confidence”

Dave…I’m with you. I wonder who will step up? What will it look like this time around? Loved your comment, “they leveraged a moment in public awareness that something deeper, more substantive was needed. These men stepped up with civility and confidence.” Any current/relevant people come to mind for you? It’s funny that I don’t want to assume it’s me, but instead it’s someone else.

• Jon Spellman says:

Nick, it is interesting that for you, and all of us I would venture to guess, the answer must always be someone else. Why don’t we see ourselves in that light? I think in this cohort alone there are 8 examples of people who could rise and fill the needed role of public theologian for 21st Century America. Why not?

• Nick Martineau says:

Jon, I agree. Why not us? But why is it hard to think of myself? Do we just think to small? Is it about opportunity? Confidence? I’m so much more likely to point towards someone else then myself.

Dave, these four men focused on by Douthat all expressed a public persona of unshakable confidence, staying “on point” with their messages in spite of any pressure to bend. I wonder how they came to that place? I think that confidence translated into a comforting sense of acceptance that many people gravitated toward whether in person, on the radio or on the small screen.

• Brian Yost says:

I wonder if it comes from reaching a point where a person simple cannot remain silent any longer; whether it is King seeing the unjust disparity in a nation that claimed liberty and justice for all or Graham that could not sit idly by and watch people enter eternity with knowing Christ.
      Are we too comfortable and complacent to sense the urgency of the moment?

Dave, “Where are today’s public theologians? Where are the men and women who capture the public’s imagination with orthodoxy – who draw millions away from heresy and back toward God? I guess it’s up to all of us. But I’d love to see another Niebuhr, King or Graham.” Right on! I think this is what our world needs most!!! In my mind I hope and pray that church planters can be this wherever they are planting. Relevant expressions of the church, equipped with the capacity for great dialogue (civility), with great conviction for which they have staked their lives to the gospel (confidence). It seems a little lofty but it seems it is what our world most desperately needs. Great post

• Brian Yost says:

“I hope and pray that church planters can be this wherever they are planting”
      Amen…but not just church planters. Rather than a few noted names, wouldn’t it be great if countless followers of Jesus stepped up to the plate all around the world, where ever they are?

Sure appreciate your words, Dave. You articulate yourself well in your grasp of Douthat’s points. I, like the other responses, am taken with your comments about civility and confidence of those who stepped up to speak into culture, both social and religious. I thought your use of “civility” in understanding it’s purpose as a broad reach thought-provoking. How can we too be in a position to have a broad reach? Where are our circles of influence, and what is God asking us to speak forth in respect and conviction? You got me thinking and praying about my own call.

Dave,
    Challenging post. I often wonder what it is that makes a person truly great. When I look at their lives, they seem to be people who are genuine and humble, not people looking for fame and glory. I love your example of Billy Graham and Woody Allen. Rather than get defensive, he just continued to share the truth and remind people of God’s incredible love. Perhaps we need fewer practitioners of apologetics and more living demonstrations of God’s love and truth.

Dave:

I would like to see a resurgence of an apostolic leader too.i am studying about topics that include apostolic and incarnational leadership that goes into the community and impact it for the right reasons. I see too many super star preachers and how people love them. In many respects they could focus more on the mission of being a sent church into the world. Its always a breath of fresh air when we have a leader who is orthodox. Yet i dont see that as being the most important concept about an apostolic leader. Its is their mission given to them by God. And everyone dont have the same mission but we are all sent into the community and the world to reach people for Christ. I just try to focus on where i am now and that’s a lot for me at times!