Cheers to System 2

I know I have shared this in a few posts already, but it applies to Kahneman’s book, “Thinking, Fast and Slow.” It is used elsewhere also but is a big focal point for those in recovery – the acronym HALT – Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.

Being self-aware is critical to staying sober. It is also extremely important in any type of decision-making. Any of those five scenarios can cloud judgment, be more susceptible to biases, and lead to poor decision-making, keeping people stuck in system 1 thinking rather than system 2 reasoning. There is a lot of selfishness in drinking and using, and I have to wonder if selfish people tend to be more in system 1 and have an “it’s all about me” attitude and make rash decisions because of it.

Kahneman writes: “The most “rational” subjects—those who were the least susceptible to framing effects—showed enhanced activity in a frontal area of the brain that is implicated in combining emotion and reasoning to guide decisions.”[1] If I understand correctly when faced with making a decision, we need to be sure we are in a “rational” frame of mind, and the HALT method may be something to check on ourselves.

My opinion is that people with addictions tend to be System 1 thinkers. It’s all about the impulse. I need a drink now because (insert reason). Bad decisions are made because of the impulsive actions that are taken rather than taking a step back and rationalizing the cause and effect of why they want to drink. There is no rational thought of long-term impacts on their momentary impulse. I am trying to figure out how to implement rational system 2 thinking in my project!

When I was going to meetings, one of the things that struck me was the woe-is-me attitude. It drove me crazy when they would call people who don’t have a drinking problem “Normies” (meaning normal people). The thought that you aren’t good enough or different from society cannot help healing and positivity. Kahneman writes, “Your moral feelings are attached to frames, to descriptions of reality rather than to reality itself. The message about the nature of framing is stark: framing should not be viewed as an intervention that masks or distorts an underlying preference.”[2] If the description of reality is that because you are a recovered alcoholic is that you are less than others, I don’t know if you will ever get ahead in life and will always be in some state of depression. It is not reality. There are very successful reformed drinkers (and drug users), but it is all in how it is framed.

Also, lining up with sobriety and Thinking Fast and Slow is the concept of overconfidence that Kahneman writes about. When people who have been drinking for a long time stop drinking, and after the cobwebs are swept away from their brains and they start feeling good, there is a considerable tendency to think that they have the drinking problem licked and go out and try it again, which rarely works. Kahneman writes, “And it is natural for System 1 to generate overconfident judgments because confidence, as we have seen, is determined by the coherence of the best story you can tell from the evidence at hand. Be warned: your intuitions will deliver too extreme predictions, and you will be inclined to put far too much faith in them.”[3] Remember, people in recovery have used System 1 thinking for a very long time of living on impulse, so again, the answer to this might be that they need to be steered into System 2 thinking to lean more on the rational side of decisions. Recovering people talk about their days of “stinking thinking,” which is what got them there in the first place (I struggle with calling it a disease). Suppose we can work with them to understand the concepts of systems 1 and 2 and how the mind reacts to the stimuli that come at them. In that case, I believe there is room for change – to change negative thought patterns and to be empowered to have a more positive outlook on themselves and their situations. That thought takes me to another well-worn AA saying, “Easy does it.” People in recovery tend to be very hard on themselves for all the failures and past hurts they have caused. I would like to think that each good decision, followed by another good decision, will slowly bring a sense of peace and victory over the bondage they have been under for years if not decades.

This book has brought me hope.

[1] Daniel Kahneman Thinking, Fast and Slow (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2013), 366

[2] Ibid., 370

[3] Ibid., 193

Chris Blackman

20 responses to “Cheers to System 2”

Hi Chris, thanks for your post. Something that stood out to me is when you said being self-aware is important for people in recovery. I believe that, mostly because I find it important for those not in recovery as well. Kahneman aluded to people being aware of their biases and those of others as they look at their decision making and eventually in ourselves [p 4]. However, while I could probably come up with the steps that recovery takes, I really don’t know much about the recovery process. My question is how does self awareness impact recovery. Thanks again for your thoughts.

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Thanks for your reply, Diane. I think there are several things to being self-aware. One may be just walking out the door to check yourself. How will your current state of mind handle the negative parts to your day? If suddenly you find yourself frustrated or angry, and for the addict or alcoholic, do you suddenly want to take a drink? Check yourself to understand what has brought you to that point. If you realize then you haven’t eaten, you will know why you are reacting the way you are.
      Yes you are correct, being self aware is good for everyone!

Thank you for your post, Chris.
    I admire your openness. In your experience how do the concepts of System 1 and System 2 thinking apply to helping individuals in recovery make more rational decisions?

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Thank you Shela, and good question! I don’t know if I know the answer to that yet, but what I do know is I want to explore it deeper with my project. How do we get them to act out of a sudden and quick decision to thinking through in a rational way, the long and short term effects of their decision? I am fascinated to see what I will come up with!!

3. mm Kari says:

Chris, I really appreciated this statement, “… I have to wonder if selfish people tend to be more in system 1 and have an “it’s all about me” attitude and make rash decisions because of it.” YES! What great insight. It takes time and effort to think of others (write a thoughtful note, do something kind for someone, etc), it is often easier to go with our selfish impulses.
    I’ve always been one to believe that people will stop being victims, heal additions, and in general thrive in life if they would actually apply Philippians 2:3-4 to their responses to others and Philippians 4:8 to their thoughts.

What do you think practically helps people in recovery start shifting their thinking to others-centered thoughts and actions?

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Thank you Kari. I agree with your beliefs about how people react to situations, and if they would apply the Phillipians’ verses, how much better would life be for them? Thank you for that.
      As far as shifting in sobriety, fortunately, for those that take their program seriously, the last few steps in the 12 step program is being of service to others. Evne newcomers are asked to be of service – clean up the tables, straighten the chairs, or do anything to get them out of thinking only about themselves, and it does work!

4. Daren Jaime says:

Chris, the revelation you express through the vulnerability of your posts is truly inspiring. Keep Shining! You mentioned that many in recovery operate on System 1; I would like your perspective on System 2. Do many fall prey to overthinking and problem-solving through a lack of self-awareness?

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Thank you brother Daren. Any type of addiction is all about self-centeredness. The secrets, the lies, the masks that people wear almost forces them into a system 1 thought process as they have so much to hide.
      The self-awareness part comes into play as they are trying to get or maintain sobriety and need to, maybe for the first time, think through the short and long term effects of their decisions. Thanks for a good question!

5. Christy Liner says:

Chris – I love how you tie your readings to your work and passions. I have learned a lot from you this semester in reading your writings.

I was actually thinking about Fast and Slow Thinking in similar terms for my life personally – how some bad habits are performed in system 1 thinking.

I know there are programs like AA for addictions – and these programs support system 2 thinking. But what about bad habits (like nail-biting)? Do you have recommendations on how to engage in system 2 thinking to overcome these?

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Christy!! Thank you, as always, for your kind words.
      I don’t think there is a lot of difference between the people that I will be working with and people with a bad habit – like nail biting. It is all about reflection. What are the triggers or situations one is in when biting one’s nails? Knowing what those are, can give insight to the why’s which will hopefully build a little defence next time the desire comes.
      Applying a systems 2 thinking model, if you get the urge to bite your nails, try questioning why you’re doing it. This can help you break the habit and make a more intentional choice. Hope that helps in some way!

6. Debbie Owen says:

Chris, great application of Kahneman’s ideas to addiction. I was speaking with my coach today about a presentation I’m putting together, and she encouraged me to focus on having participants think about their identity. What role do you think the two systems play as people create – and live into – their identities?

7. mm Chris Blackman says:

Great question, Debbie. I am not sure of the answer. I have met people who had the worst of family life or life situations, and you would never know by the way they do life. Then I have worked with people that had everything going for them, and can’t quit picking up a bottle. I know both systems have a lot to do with both examples, I just don’t know how to apply it! but thanks for giving me something to chew on!

8. Graham English says:

Thanks for your post, Chris. I always appreciate your vulnerability and your desire to integrate your learning into your life and work. Great jobs.
    How might we teach a preventative approach to addiction using an understanding of the two systems? Or is that even possible?

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Thanks for your reply Graham. Honest answer? I don’t know! But this book has brought me a desire to dig deeper into it. I feel like there is something there with System 2 thinking and how to apply it to maintain sobriety, but I don’t know what that is yet!

9. Noel Liemam says:

Hi, Chris, thanks for your post. It is very informative, and I have learn important lessons from it. You were referring system 1 to impulsive decision making? Is it because decision is made fast?

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Thanks Noel. Yes a fast decision, or on impulse is how I am seeing system 1 thinking, and its not a good thing in my thinking. Thanks for your reply!

10. Akwése Nkemontoh says:

Chris, as always I am apprecitive of your posts!

There is much to be gained from the acronym HALT – Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. I assume this is a helpful tool because it’s an easier way for people to get in the habit or reminding themselves to check in with themselves and to know that when they are any of those four things, they won’t be doing the most aligned decision-making.

I have to admit that your framing around the self centeredness challenged me. I see the truth there for sure AND at the same time I cant help but wonder what came first – Is it that addicts are self-centred System 1 thinkers or that addiction leads them to be more self-centred and operate in System 1 regularly, and why does any of this even matter? I’d love your thoughts because I almost think that framing as the latter could be helpful in recovery, especially noting the low morale and woe-is-me mentality you’ve already named amongst those in AA

I also think you’re on to something with taking it slow and steady AND finding a way to introduce people to these two systems in whatever you end up creating as your project. I’ve had my own struggles with addiction, and what I found was a HUGE turning point for me was when I began learning more about how it impacts and changes your brain and body, making everything else hard. This provided hope because it helped me move away from simply seeing myself as too weak to heal on my own but showed me why I needed adequate support AND just how vital placing measures to support me when hungry, angry, lonely or tired is .

• mm Chris Blackman says:

Thank you for a thoughtful reply, Akwése! I don’t know if I know the answer to your question, but my best guess is for whatever reason people turn to addictions, forms them into System 1 thinking. It is a selfish action that gives the person struggling instant relief (kind of) for what they are trying to run from, instead of dealing head-on with it. You have given me something to think about! Thank you!
      I also thank you for confirming my thoughts on how to introduce 1 and 2 to people in recovery. I don’t quite know what that looks like yet, but God does!! 🙂

11. Elysse Burns says:

Hi Chris, thank you for this thought-provoking post. I always enjoy your vulnerability and wisdom in the area of recovery. When someone is in the recovery process and is no longer using, have you noticed System 1 taking over in other areas of their lives? Or does System 2 start to naturally develop?

12. mm Chris Blackman says:

Thank you Elise. From what I have seen, and one of the beauties of the 12 steps is that people tend to quit thinking about themselves. and are concerned for others. I think that brings them into system 2 thinking and that would be a good thing!!