Character Matters!

I concur with Chris Lowney about the volume of leadership books on the shelves of bookstores. About a week ago I stopped into one of the small airport bookstores just to take a look at the number of books on leadership. I counted no less than 50 titles on the top-seller list! There is no question that there is an overabundance of leadership material. It is in this context that Heroic Leadership addresses an important issue. Why in the midst of all of this available leadership material is there still a vacuum of good leaders?

Lowney addresses the problem by introducing us to the Society of Jesus—the Jesuits—and their leadership practices. Lowney states that the heart of Jesuit leadership principles is “whole-person leadership,” that is the belief that “leadership begins with self-leadership.” (L. 80) In other words, the measure of a leader is not the appearance of success in public life, but also in who the leader is as a person. Character does matter!

It is on this foundation that Jesuit leadership places its four unique leadership characteristics. They are: (1) “We are all leaders, and we are leading all the time, well or poorly;” (2) “Leadership springs from within. It’s about who I am as much as what I do.” (3) “Leadership is not an act. It is my life, a way of living.” (4) “I never complete the task of becoming a leader. It’s an ongoing process.” What makes the Jesuit principles of leadership effective and unique is that the principles address “one’s whole life and not merely one’s work life.” (L.40)

In this context, good and successful leadership is measured qualitatively and not quantitatively. Character development becomes a goal and not financial acquisition alone. This character development then naturally influences others with whom we work, serve and come in contact, and we become leaders without the title of “leader.” What a powerful and freeing premise!

Lowney highlights four pillars that serve as a guide to character development and ultimately successful leadership. They are, (1) Self-awareness; (2) Ingenuity; (3) Love; and finally (4) Heroism. It is from this fourth principle that the book gets its name. (L. 81) The idea of whole-person leadership in which character is a defining trait is at once intriguing and deeply satisfying.

The idea of “whole-person leadership” in which character is a defining trait is at once intriguing and deeply satisfying. Of the four pillars, numbers two and four lead me to say: if leadership is who I am—not merely an act but a way of living, then many, many, many leaders are not leaders at all! Here is the background for this statement.

I attended a conference for which the topic was healthy leaders. At one point the psychologist began to describe the traits of a person has a narcissistic personality disorder. She went on the explain the challenges they cause to their family, friends and their relationships. I remember her saying that this person, outside of a miracle, can never change because they can never imagine that they need help, that they are wrong or that they are the cause of the problem. She said, a true narcissist seldom if ever feels remorse! She continued. Interestingly enough, because they often have charismatic personalities, they are the very ones promoted to positions of leadership! Is was as if the proverbial lightbulb went off in my head. I immediately recognized this person in examples of leaders in politics, business and yes the church. I remembered the pain they caused, without remorse—sometimes in the name of God.

The majority of leadership material I’ve read deals with the external issues and the steps a leader takes to address them. Very seldom does a book on leadership speak to me as a person and a leader so clearly as did Heroic Leadership. If we go right to the heart of great leadership, a person’s character does matter. What is missing in many leadership books is the issue of character and the question of success. Both are addressed in Heroic Leadership in this way; character is important, and success is more about character development than it is money. Ultimately, the truly heroic part is not so much in “energizing ourselves and others through heroic ambitions,” but in facing ourselves, and then asking the Holy Spirit to begin the leadership process in us.

Jim Sabella

14 responses to “Character Matters!”

Yes Jim, I like your focus on the character piece, which, as you say, is at the very core of leadership. You and I both have witnessed many leaders without good character, who have crashed and burned, or damaged a lot of other people en route. It is a very good reminder that who we are trumps what we do every time!

2. Hey Jim,
    Thanks for sharing your views. A good character is so in leadership but it does require support and that I agree would be the Holy Spirit.
    I also agree that there are few books on leadership that addresses the inner person. That is an important part of our character development.

3. Jim, what an inspiring post. I could tell you liked this book, as I did. I so agree about the character development of leaders is so under-developed and success is measured too much by money, and I would add, numbers. Great summary of the book and you really captured the critical elements of leadership. Any ideas of how you would inspire character development in leaders and to redefine what success is? This appears to be out of focus and balance with many American churches.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Jennifer. Interesting question. Concerning the success issue, a book that I read 20 years ago and to which I still refer is titled: Liberating Ministry from the Success Syndrom by R. Kent Hughes. Don’t know if you’ve read it. It is a powerful book that helped me to see the impact our culture had on my view of what success is, and how detrimental it is to us when we carry that view of success into ministry and life.

• I’m putting that book on my list, Jim. I have been talking with a group of church planters who have become frustrated by their denominations requests for monthly numbers. Each month they are made to feel like they are somehow failing because they don’t have a bunch of new people and most of the people they help or build relationships with will never come to their church. It’s so hard.

• Jim Sabella says:

Kristin: it’s really a great book for people in ministry. The numbers thing can be so discouraging—especially when the church or ministry you are leading is the one on the lower end of the numbers scale. Don’t ask how I know that! 🙂 We immediately blame ourselves for not being “better” at what we do. It’s just not the case. There are so many variables in a church/faith community setting, including location and personality of the community and people.

4. Jim yes character is at the core of what makes all of us noble human beings. In our society it is a highly forgotten leadership virtue. The way we create organizations and companies we do so with high expectations for quantitative results. Rarely are the qualitative and character forming qualities measured equally with profit focused key performance indicators. Healthy organization have healthy leaders. We need more leaders who choose the holistic approach to leadership.

I agree, Jim. I think I am seeing a theme in all of our posts – character matters! Many of us have seen the importance of self-examination and love and ingenuity and heroism.
    However, I really appreciate your point about the narcissist. How does anyone go about helping them? What about books like “The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse?” I’ve been to 2 churches like that. What should be done about those leaders?
    Ok, well change begin with us. We can at least put the principles from Lowney’s book into our lives and then as you say trust the Holy Spirit to take it from there!

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Mary. I haven’t read the book “The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse,” but I will put it on the list for future reading. The pain dysfunctional leaders cause is real and the guilt that accompanies that pain can be crippling. I’m convinced that that’s why leaders should be held to a higher standard on every level. There is one book “Leaders Eat Last” that talks about the standard of leadership—the sacrifice a leader must make in order to lead well. None of us needs another book to read at this time. But it’s one to put on the list to read about a year after Hong Kong!

6. “Ultimately, the truly heroic part is not so much in ‘energizing ourselves and others through heroic ambitions,’ but in facing ourselves, and then asking the Holy Spirit to begin the leadership process in us.”
    This is really it in a nutshell, isn’t it Jim? Your thoughts on narcissism are chilling because we all know leaders like that. The humility to look in the mirror and face our weaknesses and things that shut down potential leadership is crucial. I don’t think I could submit to this process without the daily inner working of the Holy Spirit.