Cavanaugh & Cavanaugh

This week we are discussing two books both by William T. Cavanaugh. The first book is titled, Torture and Eucharist: Theology, Politics, and the Body of Christ; the second is titled, Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire.

Several themes run through both books. Some of the major themes are oppression, power, freedom, and the individual. Another is Cavanaugh’s use of Augustine to lends a theological foundation to his theses. However, it is the theme of “the Eucharist as the solution” that clearly stands out as a major theme in both books. In the context of these two books, the Eucharist is the solution for the effects of the abuse of power by the state and the solution for one’s desire in a consumer culture.

Cavanaugh’s narrative of the Pinochet regime’s use of torture is gripping and moving. Cavanaugh contends that the use of torture by the state has ultimately one purpose, that is to control the individual in such a way that the individual becomes a property of the state, controlled by the state, and by the action of the state, powerless. This action also destroys social bodies via the destruction of the actual body of the individual. Torture then becomes a message from the state that it alone owns the individual and by extension the social bodies including the church.[1]

Cavanaugh introduces the Eucharist as the churches response to torture and the means of justice to the oppressed. [2] In this, he refers to Augustine: “A commonwealth must be based on justice, and justice depends on giving each his or her due, but this is impossible where God is not given God’s due in sacrifice.”[3] The Eucharist, therefore, becomes the cornerstone of justice and enables the church to resist oppression, correct injustice and be in the truest sense of the word, “free.” [4] In the end, the “church does not simply perform the Eucharist, the Eucharist performs the church.” [5]

It is quite a jump, but not a far jump from Cavanaugh’s Torture and the Eucharist to his work on consumerism. In Being Consumed Cavanaugh again connects the Eucharist to the solution of a difficult problem, in this case, the problem of living in a consumer society.

Cavanaugh focuses on the four basic principles of life in a consumer society. They are the free-market, consumerism, globalization and scarcity. In most theological treatises on economics, the free-market is attacked as the core problem. However, Cavanaugh approaches the idea of economics from a different perspective. He states, “Rather than blessing or damning the ‘free market’ as such, I want to focus our attention on concrete Christian attempts to discern and create economic practices, spaces, and transactions that are truly free.”[6] Cavanaugh again relies heavily on Augustinian theology concerning what freedom is and again places the Eucharist as the central solution. For it is in the “Eucharist, God forms us to consume rightly.” [7]

At the heart of Being Consumed is the idea of desire and detachment. The challenge of consumerism is not so much the buying or the wanting of things; the challenge is that the consumer is completely detached from purchased item. That means being detached—among other things—from the object’s origin, the laborer who made it and the context in which the laborer works. In this vein, “Consumerism is not so much about having more as it is about having something else; that is why it is not simply buying but shopping that is the heart of consumerism.” [8] According to Cavanaugh, it is this “restlessness” that make shopping a spiritual exercise in which one looks for, and seeks for the fulfillment of desire but never quite attains that fulfillment and so quickly moves to purchase something else. [9] For Cavanaugh, the Eucharist is a “Christian practice that offers an alternative way to practice consumption.” [10]

I am not a Catholic, and so I feel that the I am viewing Cavanaugh’s understanding of the Eucharist in the context of oppression and consumerism from a distance. What I mean by that is that it is difficult for me to sense the depth of the words, “The Eucharist is the church’s response to torture and the hope for Christian resistance to the violent disciplines of the world.” [11]  Or, the Eucharist is a “Christian practice that offers and alternative way to practice consumption. [12]

I understand on a academic level, and his points concerning oppression, resistance, desire, and fulfillment have validity. If, however, the only spiritual solution is found in the Eucharist, then I can have no part in the solution, except to convert to Catholicism.  Maybe that would be, in some ways, Cavanaugh’s point—in this situation there is nothing that replaces the Eucharist. What is more, if that is the point then the discussion would have to end there.

However, I do not sense that Cavanaugh is suggesting that, but he would want all to do their part. In this context, as I reflect on the Pentecostal experience, it seems that the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the life of a Christian can be “that” significant presence of God that gives the power to stand up to oppression and to become more Christ-like despite the culture in which we live. And therefore, though I am not Catholic, I can still be a part of the solution, assisted by a power who’s presence is greater than I. The book of Acts is full of such examples. We easily get the consumer part. It’s the death part that’s difficult to conceive. It’s not something that we often want to talk about, but a reality for millions of Christians around the world.

1. Cavanaugh, William T. Torture and Eucharist: Theology, Politics, and the Body of Christ. 1 ed. Wiley-Blackwell, 1998, 3-4.
  2. Ibid., 2.
  3. Ibid., 10.
  4. Ibid., 14.
  5. Ibid., 237
  6. William T. Cavanaugh. Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire (Kindle Locations 19-20). Kindle Edition.
  7. Ibid., 14-15
  8. Ibid., 409
  9. Ibid., 403-411
  10. Ibid., 416
  11. Torture and Eucharist: Theology, Politics, and the Body of Christ, 2.
  12. Cavanaugh. Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire, 416

Jim Sabella

12 responses to “Cavanaugh & Cavanaugh”

“We easily get the consumer part. It’s the death part that’s difficult to conceive.”
    Amen, brother. I’m guilty.
    I appreciated the idea of Eucharist/Christian Community as an antidote to the selfishness in our culture. But, I wasn’t sure that Cavanaugh really answered the question, “How are we gonna make people want to do it?”
    A agree with you, Jim. The Holy Spirit gives us the power to repent and take up our crosses and follow Jesus.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Mary. “How are we gonna make people want to do it?” I’m still working on all of this myself. Lynda mentioned in her post the necessity of the church taking an active role and I do think that’s the core of Cavanaugh’s books. I do think that the Holy Spirit is an important aspect of the active role of the church. In all cases, people must want to act. You make a good point Mary. Thank you.

2. Yes Jim! Such a powerful and great reminder of the constant work of the holy spirit and how we get that partnership in every area of our lives to become more Christ-like. Thank you for this simple yet profound reminder. Often times we try so many other things before we ask for counsel and wisdom from the Holy Spirit.

“The indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the life of a Christian can be “that” significant presence of God that gives the power to stand up to oppression and to become more Christ-like despite the culture in which we live.”

Amen. If someone who is not committed to to Christ participates in the ritual of the Eucharist, is he mystically transformed because of the ritual? If someone is filled with the Holy Spirit, but has never participated in the Catholic Eucharist ritual, is he lacking? I think not.

Stu, what an excellent point! Thank you!

“If, however, the only spiritual solution is found in the Eucharist, then I can have no part in the solution, except to convert to Catholicism.”

While I am not Catholic either, our church does weekly celebrate communion. I’m curious, does the AoG observe communion/the Lord’s Supper? It is the same ritual as the Catholic Eucharist, based on the same Last Supper, though we understand it theologically slightly differently. Still, similar enough that, as I read Cavanaugh, I generally equated communion with Eucharist. From my background, I understand the presence of the Holy Spirit within each of us is made most complete in the Body of Christ (church), and experienced most evidently when we participate in the action of communion together. It is by doing this, that the HS fills us (or consumes us) to become the Body of Christ in the world.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Katy. Generally, the AoG USA churches observe communion monthly. It is a time of reflection and remembrance of what Christ has done on the cross. I’ve always found the differing views on the subject very interesting and enlightening.

6. “it seems that the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the life of a Christian can be “that” significant presence of God that gives the power to stand up to oppression and to become more Christ-like despite the culture in which we live.”
    This is a great point, Jim. I believe that the Holy Spirit works through the Eucharist and/or Communion to remind us of the indwelling of Christ in us and the indwelling of us in the greater Body. This only happens, though, when we take the Table seriously and remain open to the work of the Spirit. Sadly, I feel that many churches do neither as a community.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Kristen. I agree that we need to take the Table seriously and sometimes that’s not the case in churches. I know that in the eastern part of Europe the AoG churches approach it very seriously. I’ve observed that both culture and doctrine play into our approach to communion.

7. Jim very insightful reflections! I couldn’t imagine sharing in the Eucharist without the active presence of the Holy Spirit! It would be hard for me to conceive that by only sharing in the act alone is transformative. I believe that as a Cbristian every act of worship is done in cooperation with the Holy Spirit. It is Him who brings repentance, transformation and reconciliation.