By the Book

I am a connoisseur of leadership materials and have been for almost 30 years. It started in my late 20’s when I went to a pastors conference to listen to John Maxwell who at the time was the lead pastor of a large Methodist Church in San Diego, California. During that period, he was one of the few pastors in the church growth movement who specialized in leadership training. Since that time, he has become, in my opinion, one of the most influential writers and speakers in the world. Over the years I have belonged to a number of monthly leadership programs, as well as, read a great number of books. Many I have found beneficial and others not so much. What amazed me as I read through Nohira and Khuana’s Handbook on Leadership Theory and Practice was not only my familiarity of some of the information being discussed but what was missing as well. They unfold many of the theories surrounding leadership, but their focus was primarily on CEO’s and high-level leaders without consideration that leadership comes in many shapes and types in and outside of the business realm into all aspects of life.

Jay Lorsch in his article A Contingency theory of Leadership brings to the forefront that often writers think leadership is so well understood that a definition isn’t necessary. In fact, the definitions that are expressed are often complex and single focused around a particular vocational genre. Lorsch wisely states “A leader is an individual who influences others to follow him or her.”[1] John Maxwell simplifies it even further in stating “Leadership is influence.”[2] He drives this definition home by quoting an old leadership proverb “He who thinketh he leadeth and hath no one following him is only taking a walk.”[3] In other words if you want to know whether you’re a leader just turn around and if someone is following you are a leader. In my opinion this definition allows everyone to understand they are leaders in one fashion or another. To limit leadership to a business position of authority is naïve. Henry Blackaby in the preface of his book Spiritual Leadership rightly describes the dilemma with secular leadership theory in the setting of Christian leadership. “Christian leaders are reading secular books and are accepting their teachings uncritically. Much secular leadership theory is based on presupposition that may appear sound yet promote ideas contrary to the Scriptures.”[4] By only adopting a secular leadership style and neglecting the spiritual side of leadership a Christian leader is limiting their ability to lead. When a Christian leader, whether in business or in church fails to see leadership through the lens of God’s calling on their life their effectiveness is greatly decreased. Blackaby’s definition is “Spiritual leadership is moving people on to God’s agenda.”[5] It is a great reminder that whether in business or ministry Christian leaders’ primary objective is assisting others to walk in a manner worthy of their calling.

One of the greatest acts of leadership in my opinion is found in John 13:3-5, 12-17.

“Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God, rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him… When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you?  You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am.  If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.  For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things blessed are you if you do them.” (John 13:3-5, 12-17)

This portion of scripture reminds me of 5 important aspects of leadership. If I may be so bold to preach a bit! The first aspect is, we are called to serve. A true leader doesn’t need to blow his/her own horn. True greatness comes from service in doing the will of God. Second, Jesus commands us to serve, “If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. One of the ways our human pride manifests itself is in a stratified society is in refusing to take a lower role. The third aspect of leadership I see is we have to be secure enough to serve. Jesus met his disciples at their point of need and girded himself with a towel. We are told in Philippians 2 that Jesus gave up his divine privileges and humbled himself in obedience and died a criminal’s death. When is the last time a CEO of a company saved a company by eliminating his own position and took a lower paying role? Fourthly we are called to lead through serving. I remember an old saying and cannot remember where I heard it but is says “a boss says “go” and a leader says, “let’s go.” We are told that a servant is not greater than their master. Maybe in today’s world of prestige and power we should say “a CEO is not greater than his/her lowest paid employee.” Lastly, we are blessed through serving others. In today’s world knowing and doing are often divorced from one another. True happiness doesn’t consist of knowing but in doing. When we become servant leaders we are not only ministering to the hearts and minds of people we are adding value to them as well.

[1] Jay Lorsch, “A Contingency Theory of Leadership”, 414, In Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice, Edited by Nitin Nohria, Rakesh Khurana, Harvard Business Press, 2010

[2] John Maxwell, Developing the Leader Within You, Nashville, Thomas Nelson, 1993, 1

[3] Maxwell, 1

[4] Blackaby, Henry and Richard Blackaby, Spiritual Leadership, Nashville, Broadman and Holman Publishers, 2001, x

[5] Blackaby and Blackaby, 20

Greg Reich

Entrepreneur, Visiting Adjunct Professor, Arm Chair Theologian, Leadership/Life Coach, husband, father and grandfather. Jesus follower, part time preacher! Handy man, wood carver, carpenter and master of none. Outdoor enthusiast, fly fisherman, hunter and all around gun nut.

12 responses to “By the Book”

Are you familiar with the term “leading from behind”? Though not synonymous, I find that the be an attempt to find a secular approach to leadership similar to what you are discussing. Lauren Hill with HBR relies on Nelson Mandela’s take on leadership to build this point: “He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”
    https://hbr.org/2010/05/leading-from-behind

• Greg Reich says:

Shawn Though I am not familiar with the “leading from behind” model. After reading the link you sent I find it similar to the leading from the second chair mindset that is often part of “360 degree leadership.” Many of us will never become CEO’s and will end up somewhere in the middle of the pack. “360 degree leadership helps a person realize the differences between influencing down to subordinates, influencing across the isle to your peers and influencing well above your pay grade. Each takes a different approach, as well as, comes with a different set of rules. It is possible to influence way up that ladder and make lasting changes but if you miss use the influence or breech the process the price can be much higher. How does your leadership style change when you are dealing with your subordinates, peers and upper management?

• Jer Swigart says:

Another approach that differs a bit from “Leading from Behind” is what the former President of Whitworth Univeristy, Bill Robinson, refers to as Leadership from the Middle. In his book of that name, he reflects on the power of leadership to create culture and savvy leaders by modeling and participating within the culture. He effectively contrasts this form of leadership from the visionary/lead the charge approach that I think Maxwell preaches. I think you’d appreciate it, Greg: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791L7CM8/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

“In other words if you want to know whether you’re a leader just turn around and if someone is following you are a leader. In my opinion this definition allows everyone to understand they are leaders in one fashion or another.”

This is very true. In some capacity, there’s always SOMEONE following us (though we may not realize it). We need to be aware that someone is always watching us. Our spheres of influence extend far beyond what we may initially believe. When I lead training for my old teaching organization, one of the things I’ve always hit on is that the students know how you treat your teammates and will respond to that. Even when we don’t think someone is looking, there’s always someone who’s there to notice.

• Greg Reich says:

Dylan, I am a true believer that leadership concepts should be taught as young as possible. If you boil leadership down to influence and the effects of how we influence others, young people of today would see just how powerful their voices can be.

As a parent I never paid my kids to do chores or gave them an allowance. Starting in Jr. High I hand picked books on leadership that I felt they could understand and paid them to read and then discuss them with me. By the time they graduated High School they had read books on how failure can be used to grow, leadership basics as well as, books on relationships. Though my kids did chores, I felt as parent I wasn’t raising my kids to be garbage men or janitors I was raising them to influencers. What was the greatest leadership lesson you learned growing up? Positive of Negative?

I so appreciated your wise words. Leadership is a funny thing. I look at my husband, a West Point and Yale MBA grad. Between his time in the military and his growing up on a commercial fishing vessel, he has always taken the posture of a servant leader. This actually hasn’t always served him well in the private sector. The people who work for him usually love him, because he will roll up his sleeves and work with them on a consistent basis. Those superior to him are often frustrated with his relational approach. Its counter cultural, unless of course it’s already part of an organizations culture.

The servant leadership of Christ that you highlighted is also not something I have seen very often in church leadership settings, though I think the size of the organization would significantly impact how servant leader-y a leader could be. The hierarchal structures and expectation seem to prevent leaders from stepping out from behind their offices to help pick up the coffee cups and set the chairs.

I’d love to impart some leadership wisdom to my son while he’s still here in our home. He learns a ton of leadership lessons from playing competitive soccer, but I’d appreciate if you’d share a few of your favorite resources that you shared with your kids:)

Darcy,
    You are correct in that much of corporate america doesn’t embrace servant leadership, especially among middle management employees. Of course, this never stopped me from doing it but I had to be discreet, For example when did safety inspections I would bring the most common items that were noted to be violations of policy and make the changes as I insected to keep the company in compliance. It didn’t take long before the employee would join me and assist in the process. When the inspection was complete most of the problems were solved.
    Two books come to mind depending on your sons willingness to read. Both happen to be written by John Maxwell. The first is Put your Dream to the Test, the second is Failing Forward. John Maxwell is an easy read without a lot of heavy terms. Learning to see failure as a stepping stone to success is vital.

5. Steve Wingate says:

So, far you have the post of the week! Deservedly so.
    “In other words if you want to know whether you’re a leader just turn around and if someone is following you are a leader.”
    If one looks at the wrong time, one would they they are not a leader by this definition. It’s like saying that because a pastor (me) does not currently serve a congregation they (me) are not a pastor. Sorry, I don’t see that in Scripture. Now, it can’t remain that way, I think… I think. I don’t want to test it too much longer frankly, but Jesus is Lord. So, there are variables to the principle.

Steve, Can I kindly say I think you are misunderstanding my words. Leadership has nothing to do with position (pastor) it has everything to do with influence. I know a few people in high paying positions that I would not call leaders. They hold positions of power but they are poor leaders. Leadership boils down to influence. How do you know you are an influencer? Because people follow you. Jesus wasn’t followed due to his position in life, he was a lowly carpenter’s son. He was followed because of his influence. He alone had words of eternal life according to Peter. I know a lot of pastors who are not the main influencers in their church but they have learned to influence those influencers. Look at who your life impacts, and influences. You are a leader not because of a position or a lack of one. You are a leader because God has given you influence in someone’s life. In the life of your family, friends, peers and many others. If you have influence in their lives then you hold the power of a leader. If leadership was based solely on position then why is it that people like Harriet Tubman born a slave can have such a powerful impact on American history? How about the apostle Paul, he was a murderer and tentmaker? Moses, a murderer and a shepherd? Joseph a slave? My friend these people were leaders long before they held a position in power because they were influencers. I have seen you in action, trust me you are a leader even though you do not have a congregation you do have people who follow you. Be blessed!

A wise professor (and Maxwell fan) imparted to us over and over about the connection between leadership and relationships. From that perspective, where the leader sits (front, rear, or middle,) is not as important at how the leader sits (with and among, not over and above.) Not too many people will run through a brick wall because of mission statement. But there have been plenty who have done so because of the trust and devotion they felt for an effective leader who cared about them. From what I’ve learned about you so far, I sense this is the way you like to operate and I imagine it’s been fruitful for you.

• Greg Reich says:

John I have had the privilege of being discipled and lead by some great leaders you I not only trusted but who were willing to invest time and energy in my well being. All of which I would have charged the gates of hell with a water pistol if they would have asked. I also know what it means to be promoted amidst several others who had more seniority and longevity than I. Earning trust and respecting seniority in the business sector while being the leader can be tricky. Sadly I also know first hand the dark side of leadership that no one really wants to write about.

8. Simon Bulimo says:

Greg, You reminded me of one man I love when teaching on Leadership thus Maxwel, Am a keen follower of him. E.G. Developing a leader within you. Nohiri and Khurana, the way I understood them is that the Harvard Business was an example and we need to develop in many disciplines the idea of leadership. He proposed sociology and many other areas.
    Your article was such an encouragement