Bible Belt Theology

I have lived my entire life in the Bible belt. Not just the Bible belt, but white Christian suburbia. No doubt this plays deeply into my theology of God, even in ways I don’t understand.

I can remember when I first realized God is bigger then the box I have put him in. When I was in high school I had a great youth minister. I remember sitting on a boat dock with my friends asking our youth minister every question about God we could think of. He pointed us to Jesus, embraced the mystery, widened our view of who God is, and helped us think. About 5 years later I found myself living outside of London working with youth at a church. It was a six-month internship and it opened my eyes to a culture very different from the Bible belt. One weekend I took the youth on a sailing trip. As evening approached we found ourselves on a boat dock and the students started drilling me with questions about who God is and what He is doing through the world. The questions were the same as my youth but at the same time very different. It was at that moment I saw a way bigger God then I ever had before.

David F. Ford’s book Theology A Very Short Introduction, widens our narrow base of thinking with intriguing questions and insights. While it should be obvious to us that where we live, our family upbringing, education opportunities, economic level, etc. would affect our beliefs and lifestyle, it unfortunately gets too often overlooked. Many are aware that where they live affects how they live but they aren’t aware that it affects the truths about what they believe. I really appreciate how Ford consistently brought world views and world religions into the conversation about theology.

In his final chapter, “Theology for the Third Millennium”, the question I most appreciated was, “How can dialogical and comparative theology flourish?[1]” While the church isn’t an academic institution this question isn’t just to be asked for the academy. Ford says, “Mutual hospitality, conversation, facing differences, rigorous argument, friendship with integrity: if those are not possible between people who pursue theological wisdom in different disciplines, faith communities, and nations, then what hope is there for the world?[2] Churches must teach respectful ways to deal with differences and conflict. There is a beautiful picture of love and grace when the body of Christ works through our differences. Instead of running somewhere else, name calling, and putting God in our small little boxes, lets build long lasting trusting relationships that know how to work through differences and conflict. That’s the body of Christ.

This Leadership and Global perspectives program is one way we are participating to see “dialogical and comparative theology flourish.” I love that Caroline Ramsey is my advisor. In my first conversation with Caroline she found out I was a pastor from Kansas. Her response was, “I don’t think Kansas would like me. I make Obama look conservative.” Her response made me smile. I’m in this program to develop my thinking and I knew right away Caroline would stretch my white suburban Bible belt perspective and widen my view of God. Conservative, liberal, moderate, radical, however we decide to define our beliefs, I hope we can all come to believe that God can’t be boxed up, and we must welcome the questions and conversations as we search for truths about God.

[1] David F. Ford, Theology: a Very Short Introduction (New York: Oxford University Press, 2000), 174.

[2] Ibid., 174

Nick Martineau

Nick is a pastor at Hope Community Church in Andover, KS, founder of ILoveOrphans.com, and part of the LGP5 cohort.

12 responses to “Bible Belt Theology”

1. Dawnel Volzke says:

Very well said Nick! As I read this post, I have the idea to capture my thoughts on theology and ministry while I’m still at the beginning of this learning journey and am just starting to get a glimpse beyond the predominately white Bible belt. It will be interesting to compare to my views at graduation time, and then at intervals as life progresses.

• Nick Martineau says:

We are all on this journey together…Capturing our thoughts on theology now would be really wise. I just can’t find extra time to do it! I actually had the thought that it will be fun to read back over these blog posts in a few years. Just to catch a glimpse at how much we have all grown through this process.

Soo… kind of the opposite of Bible Belt Theology. This is a great post, and yes churches do need to teach ways of respectful disagreement and conflict. Unfortunately my experience this week was again the opposite, more on the name calling side of the spectrum. I know we’re supposed to be salt in light in the culture but sometimes that seems like wishful thinking. Thanks for lifting my eyes up to what is possible with faith and vision.

• Nick Martineau says:

Dave…sorry about the name calling this week. I think whenever you put yourself out there it is bound to happen. Hang in there. I’m thankful you aren’t just planning it safe. We must disarm our critics with grace while we also stay in the conversation. Praying for you and your Corkgrinders time.

Nick, my roomie, the Ford quote: “Mutual hospitality, conversation, facing differences, rigorous argument, friendship with integrity: if those are not possible between people who pursue theological wisdom in different disciplines, faith communities, and nations, then what hope is there for the world?” was one that I highlighted as well. Im reminded of the emerging friendships that I am nurturing even now with a Lutheran, a Wesleyan, a couple of Presbyterians, a Christian and Missionary Alliance, a few Baptists, a couple of Anglicans, an Acts 29 guy, a few non-denoms and even a Foursquare pastor as a part of the Atlanta Church Planting Alliance (www.atlantachurchplantingalliance.com). We have discovered that if we put EVERYTHING on the table that we all believe, then, one by one, remove the things that we disagree on, very few things come off the table. We agree on WAY more than we disagree on and all hold strongly to the belief that the church is the only hope for the world and that we need more of them, LOTS more. Thanks Nick for reminding me that the struggles are worth it.

• Nick Martineau says:

I love that you have such a diverse group of believers you meet with. That is so unique and has to be incredibly fruitful for your faith. I love the reminder that “we agree on WAY more than we disagree on…”

Nick, “‘How can dialogical and comparative theology flourish?[1]” While the church isn’t an academic institution this question isn’t just to be asked for the academy. Ford says, “Mutual hospitality, conversation, facing differences, rigorous argument, friendship with integrity: if those are not possible between people who pursue theological wisdom in different disciplines, faith communities, and nations, then what hope is there for the world?[2]” was the other question I was and thought of Ford’s that I wanted to post on. I love the posture of a theologically sound Christ-follower it portraits. If we could have more conversations with our world and hold such a posture it seems there would be much more room for God to move in our culture. Great post and I appreciate the thoughts in provokes. Oh yeah, and go Royals!

• Nick Martineau says:

Thanks Phil…I’ve got to post on comments now because I’ve got game 3 and 4 this weekend. Go Royals!

As church leaders we need to not just teach theology but we must teach the posture one carries themselves with as we engage the world.

Nick that is so me too. I have not been raised in white suburbs but where ever you are your theology is formed there. I used to realize that God was not in this little box but feared to ask people what has narrowed their view if God is so big? I thank God for all that He is doing today not looking back just trying to take it day by day because its so much to learn about God. I like how Ford opened up our minds with other religions and thoughts of theology that are in the world. Im glad though that I have Christ in me the hope of Glory instead of having a relationship based on do’s and dont’s. Ritual and traditions can keep us from getting to know more so thank God he has afforded us the opportunity to study at the Doctoral level!

Nick,
    What I think is intriguing is that you were able to get out of the fish tank. Not many people realize that they are swimming in water that is different than others. But somehow God grabbed a hold of your heart, and helped you see a much bigger world. And then what’s fascinating is that he’s brought you back to that same fish tank, able to now help others see a much bigger world. I too was struck by the two quotes that you used, mostly because I think you exemplify them: a gracious hospitality willing to dig in for good conversation and challenge. You demonstrate what you long for others.
    Thank you for sharing your story.

Nick,
    You reminded me of an interesting observation; when we change our location or circumstances, we begin to see things from a new perspective. It is interesting that both you and your students began to ask questions when sitting on a dock. One thing I love about my job is being with short-term mission groups when they begin to see things from a new perspective and start asking questions that they would never have asked at home.

• Nick Martineau says:

Really great thought Brian…whether it’s “mission trips” or just getting to the mountains. Some of those “different” experiences have widened my thinking of God. As leaders we definitely need to help people have different experiences to have them have different perspectives. Good thoughts. Thanks!