Believe Anything

What is postmodernism? In his book, Explaining Postmodernism, Stephen Hicks, a Canadian-American professor at Rockford University, seeks to answer this question. In a review of Hicks’ book, Steven Sanders states,

Postmodernism rejects, or is deeply suspicious of, truth, objectivity, and progress, and is characterized by a distinctive anti-science, anti-capitalist mentality. Postmodernists are united by both a shared philosophical history and a shared conception of human nature–or at least agreement about what our “core feelings” are: “dread and guilt” (Kierkegaard and Heidegger); “alienation, victimization, and rage” (Marx); “a deep need for power” (Nietzsche); and “a dark and aggressive sexuality” (Freud).[1]

Author Daniel Palmer writes,

I once asked a group of my students if they knew what the term postmodernism meant: one replied that it’s when you put everything in quotation marks. It wasn’t such a bad answer, because concepts such as “reality”, “truth” and “humanity” are invariably put under scrutiny by thinkers and “texts” associated with postmodernism.

Postmodernism is often viewed as a culture of quotations.[2]

Palmer further states that postmodernism “is best understood as a questioning of the ideas and values associated with a form of modernism that believes in progress and innovation.[3] In an attempt to fully grasp postmodernism, I stumbled across a blog from Focus on the Family. The author observed that postmodernism is a rejection of the Enlightenment and forgoes reason and is pegged as “a worldview that denies all worldviews.” Furthermore, that

Christianity has no quarrel with postmodernism where rationalism is concerned. Both worldviews deny that human reason can solve all of man’s problems. But they clash over the question of absolute truth. Christians say that absolute truth has been given to man by revelation. Postmodernists, on the other hand, deny the existence of both truth and revelation.[4]

Having read Hicks’ book and several book reviews and articles, I am left with this summation for postmodernism: Believe anything. In considering this framework, I can’t say I am either alarmed or surprised by this worldview as this philosophical framework has dominated the cultural mindset during my lifetime, especially in the mountain west of Jackson Hole, WY. It is my conviction that such thinking is contrary to the teachings of Scripture as Jesus Himself teaches that He alone is the way, the truth, and the life, and no one goes to the Father except through Him (John 14:6). There are not multiple gods or pathways to enlightenment or salvation, but one God and one way to be reconciled back to our intended purposes – fellowship, worship, and adoration of God.

I have observed that postmodernism tickles the intellect but leaves one with a deep, unsatisfied hunger and thirst. Raised in a Christian home, I found it difficult to believe there was only one pathway to eternal life. Even the concept of eternal life was based upon the assumption that there was even heaven or hell. At a pivotal time of life as a young man on my way to college, I was on a quest to find “truth” and the path to enlightenment. As much as I could wipe the slate clean of religious dogma that had been placed upon me in my upbringing, I was open to anything, to “believe anything.” There wasn’t a spiritual path that I didn’t consider. My driving motivation was to find that framework to fill the void and emptiness I experienced. I will spare many details, but in the end, I determined to read the Bible in its entirety (something I had never done before) simply because it was the oldest, most historical text while also studying various religions on the side. Four months later, as a freshman at the University of Wyoming, I came to the following conclusions: there was, in fact, absolute truth, there was a knowable God, and there was a pathway to experience the fullness as our Creator intended for all humanity – a relationship with the living God through the restoration that Jesus Christ alone provided all who called upon Him. While postmodernism sounded promising to my young ears, in the end, it only led to further despair. Thank goodness for the One who stands the test of time for all people.

[1] Steven M. Sanders, “Stephen R. C. Hicks’s Explaining Postmodernism: Skepticism and Socialism from Rousseau to Foucault: A Discussion,” Reason Papers 28 (March 22, 2006): 111–125.

[2] Daniel Palmer, “Explainer: What Is Postmodernism?,” The Conversation, last modified January 2, 2014, accessed March 6, 2023, http://theconversation.com/explainer-what-is-postmodernism-20791.

[4] “Understanding Postmodern Thought,” Focus on the Family, accessed March 6, 2023, https://www.focusonthefamily.com/family-qa/understanding-postmodern-thought/.

Eric Basye

Disciple, husband, and father, committed to seeking shalom.

2 responses to “Believe Anything”

EB: I agree, postmodernism “leaves one with a deep, unsatisfied hunger and thirst.” But I enjoyed reading this book because there are so many probing questions philosophy asks. It challenges us to think deeply about our faith, scripture and our experience.

Eric, great post. You cited critical quotes that help understand the issue of postmodernism from the book. I also like your sharing your own personal journey to faith along with philosophical challenges to it. I was also raised in a Christian home, but my challenge was the person on an island who never heard – how can Jesus be the only way? Your post also illustrates how “believe anything” creates a logical inconsistency when anyone who takes the postmodern position can argue that anything is right or wrong. At the same time, I believe the church needs to do better than simply saying “the Bible says…” To engage and reach a postmodern culture will demand an ability to persausively argue to an objective standard on philosophical grounds. Great job!