Belajar Bersama (Learning Together)

Originating from Malaysia, English stands as my third language. Fortunately, I come from an English-speaking family. My first English story book was Little Red Riding Hood. I was captivated by Little Red Riding Hood’s bravery as she walked all alone into the forest to visit her grandmother with a basket of bread.

Subsequently, my academic journey led me to an English-medium school. I was exposed to the English language more than other kids. At standard one, my first textbook reading was the story of George Washington (the first President of United States) and the iconic cherry tree incident. The phrase “I cannot tell a lie” still lingers in me. This leads me to believe that I tend to remember readings that inspire me. Furthermore, to be efficient in English, my family encouraged me to read books and the newspaper.

I enjoy reading self-development books, amongst many others, Soul Cravings: An Exploration of the Human Spirit by Erwin Rapheal McManus is one of my favorites. Upon my conversion to Christianity, the Bible became my life roadmap. The history, the places, the lives of the disciples as they followed Jesus – intriguing! Currently, as a Category Manager, I read, write and develop construction contracts, agreements, legal materials and compliance documents. I have to read everything in detail, I cannot skim through these documents. Therefore, I am a detailed reader, slow reader and I apply analytical reading mostly. I have difficulty relating to Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren’s claim, 1“We do not have to know everything about something in order to understand.” This statement is liberating but creates the fear that I may miss something.

2Sonke Ahrens, How To Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking has become one my favorite books. I particularly enjoyed Sonke’s online materials, his emphasis on engaging with the material actively and making meaningful connections with my own understanding.

I explored the Obsidian platform. In week one, I organized my reading notes, posts, and miscellaneous thoughts, ensuring that everything is conveniently located in one place.

It has been a while since I drafted essays at an academic level. Professionally, I constantly write reports, presentations, business cases, sermons and analytical documents but not essays. I have to refocus to cite my work according to doctoral standards. The Six Steps to Successful Writing from 3Sonke Ahrens, How To Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking is a helpful chapter – ‘The moment we stop making plans is the moment we start to learn.’ This is a mind opening statement.

I plan to develop my skills in my doctoral journey by being organized, applying critical thinking, actively learning, maintaining an open mind, and being curious.

[1] Mortimer J. Adler and Charles Van Doren, How To Read A Book, The Classic Guide To Intelligent Reading (New York, NY: Touchstone, A Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc., 2014), 4.

[2] [3] Sonke Ahrens, How To Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking (Hamburg, Germany: Sonke Ahrens, 2017), 64.

Shela Sullivan

Born and raised on the vibrant Penang Island in Malaysia. "Mari Makan!!" — a cherished Malaysian greeting that reflects the warmth of shared meals. Since 1996, I have called Oregon, United States, my home. I enjoy the raindrops and the serenity of its beaches. The ocean connects me to nature and energizes me. I hold Bachelor's in Business & Marketing from University of Phoenix, Master's in Spiritual Formation from George Fox University and Congressional Leadership (Lay Pastoral) Certificate from Dubuque Theological Seminary. I work as a Category Manager for a power utility company and serve as an ordained Presbyterian Traveling Pastor. My aspirational career goal is to become an inspirational speaker. I reside with my husband, David Sullivan, and our fur-baby, Rolo. Our shared passions include traveling, exploring diverse cuisines, home improvements and classic cars. Favorite Bible Verse: Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. ~ Psalm 37:4 ~

11 responses to “Belajar Bersama (Learning Together)”

1. Jeff Styer says:

Shela, I think I’m intimidated by your writing abilities, the ability to write for many different contexts, and your organizational skills. Sounds like you’ve jumped into using Obsidian and are already organized. Reading differently will be a journey for many of us. Like you, I fear I may miss something if I don’t read every word. My wife and I engaged in a good conversation last night about reading and Adler and Van Doren’s philosophy that not every book deserves to be read. I’m excited to see how everyone progresses in this journey as we navigate the DLGP program.

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Jeff, thank you for reading my post. Yes, totally, ‘not every book deserves to be read’. I just learned this now. It tickled me to read that my writing abilities are intimidating – this is the highest praise I have ever received from an educator. Cheers!

2. Diane Tuttle says:

Shela, thanks for sharing. My husband had a saying in his home growing up, “Everything has its place and there is a place for everything.” I thought of this reading your post. It is understandable that your corporate work has an impact on your current reading method. In the workplace, it is crucial that you are exact. And then there is the writing in a doctoral program. Each very different, but I believe each very attainable with practice. All this is to say maybe balance is a way to look at it.

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Thank you for reading my post, Diane. I agree with your husband, “Everything has its place and there is a place for everything.” You are so right to say “balance”. I am learning to shift my reading approach, “Skimming” Cheers!

3. Graham English says:

Shela,
    I appreciate the awareness that you have for the need to refocus to cite works according to doctoral academic standards. It seems you are already well-equipped, as you have already developed capacity in many ways.
    Your quote from Ahrens about the need to stop making plans to learn is actually quite profound. What might be your biggest challenge in this?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

Thank you for reading my post, Graham.
      The primary difficulty I face with Ahrens’ quote relates to my inclination towards planning. His statement, “need to stop making plans,” caught my attention, prompting me to pause and reflect. Upon revisiting the phrase, its significance became apparent. I realized that my meticulous planning often leads to inflexibility, turning adaptability into a weakness. In doing so, I might miss out on potentially better opportunities right in front of me.

4. Nancy Blackman says:

Shela,
    I giggled slightly at your reference to the Adler quote “We do not have to know everything about something in order to understand,” because years ago I realized this (not from reading Adler) and found it to be liberating, just as you have mentioned.

I am, like you, a slow reader, but over time have learned that I don’t have to understand everything in order to be able to talk about something. I don’t have to understand why the microwave works in order to push the buttons and make things warm.

I resolve to keeping what I do understand to the things I’m passionate about.

And, like others have already mentioned, and of the little I know of you, I think you’re going to take this program by storm with the same bravery that Little Red Riding Hood had.

What do you think is the most liberating thing for you so far in your learning experience? How has that helped you in every day life?

• mm Shela Sullivan says:

I will giggle with you Nancy, Giggles!!! Thank you for reading my post. Is not Adler’s quote “We do not have to know everything about something in order to understand,” so profound? This phrase just hit me. The books GFU assigned for us to read are deep.

The most liberating thing for me so far is reading the book by Schulz, On Being Wrong. I grew up in a shame-based culture, so being wrong is associated with stupidity and embarrassment. Based on Schulz’ book, it is liberating to learn, ‘wrongness is a vital part of how we learn and change’.

5. mm Kari says:

Shela, you bring special gifts with your unique background and multilingual, multicultural upbringing. You mentioned that you enjoyed Ahrens’s idea of “engaging with the material actively and making meaningful connections.” It seems you have been developing this skill from a young age.

As someone who is working on learning my third language, I have come to appreciate what other languages and, subsequently, cultures bring into academia, literature, and even critical thinking approaches. What area do you think your multilingual upbringing and culture most influenced who you are now with reading, writing and note-taking? I am also curious as to what is your biggest challenge in being a multicultural, multilingual learner? For myself, prepositions will forever be my nemesis in all languages especially in professional writing!

6. mm Shela Sullivan says:

Hi Kari, thank you for reading my post.
    Wow! Your thought-provoking questions have sparked my interest and prompted reflection on my personal growth in the Western world.

I take notes in both English and Malay. When I cannot quickly find an English word, I use Malay word instead. Similarly, when capturing thoughts, I switch between English, Malay, or Tamil, depending on what’s easier to retain :). When reading in English, I do pause to find an understanding in Malay or Tamil.
    I grew up reading the Bible in English, but I also refer to my Malay Bible for a deeper understanding.

My multicultural upbringing helps me adapt easily, and I rarely feel out of place. Coming from a multilingual background, when I moved to the US, hearing English all the time became monotonous, so I would purposely visit an Asian or Hispanic market to hear another language.

I was thrilled the first time I dreamt in English—ha! ha! I shared it with my colleagues here in Oregon, though nobody seemed interested. I found it amazing to dream in English.

7. Christy Liner says:

Nice post Shela! I am impressed by your advanced reading and writing in a language that is not your first. I love how you switch languages for the context you’re in.

Your proficiency in legal writing and reading will benefit you here. Have you seen growth in yourself as a reader as you’ve become more experienced in the legal/professional reading that requires a high attention to detail?