Be careful of the leadership bug…

Nohria and Khurana’s Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice “has one purpose-to stimulate serious scholarly research on leadership.”[1] This book seeks to understand why “leadership” development is often ineffective, and what factors contribute to strong versus poor leadership in organizations. Some difficult questions are approached, such as “Will leadership largely be seen as a means of getting ahead, of gaining power, rather than of being understood as a serious professional calling with social responsibilities?”[2] Leadership seems to be the new buzzword. Most leadership training is geared towards transforming one’s ability to be effective in their work, life, and spirituality. There are thousands of popular books written on the subject. With so much activity around leadership, it would seem to be an easy subject to master. Yet, despite so much focus poor leaders plague organizations.  I’m not sure that I want to catch the leadership bug from just anyone…

Over the course of my own life and career, some amazing leaders have influenced me significantly.  I’ve also encountered some horrible leaders who completed extensive leadership training, yet still couldn’t lead.  If I compare the good versus bad leaders that I’ve encountered, the difference is between those who focus on making the world a better place versus those who focus on looking good, getting promoted, or pushing their own personal agendas. In other words, the good leaders care about others and the bad leaders care about themselves. I’ve seen much damage done to organizations, teams and individuals when poor leaders are given power and placed in roles to manage people and resources. “It is ironic that the significance of leadership to important organizational outcomes may need to be addressed in scholarly research at precisely the time when society at large is viewing the unprecedented organizational failures that have occurred as irrefutable evidence of leadership failures.”[3] Christian organizations are not immune. Failure of a leader can have widespread impact and risk the very nature of the organization’s mission and success. The recent Mars Hill debacle is one of many that have hit the news recently.[4]  I appreciate Nohria and Khurana’s statement that “Leadership is accepting responsibility to create conditions that enable others to achieve shared purpose in the face of uncertainty.”[5]

As a consultant, I’ve been in many organizations with both good and bad leaders. Leadership health is typically evident within the first week of consulting with an organization. Indicators are things like lack of innovation, micromanagement, and unengaged workers. I often see insecurity by those in leadership roles, which is expressed by a lack of acceptance to new ideas, constant pressure on their teams to make themselves or their department “look good”, and limited partnership and collaboration with other functional units within the organization. It is also obvious when one has “book” learning versus real experience. The good leaders that I’ve encountered don’t feel threatened by knowledge or ideas, rather they help to fuel them and to empower others to get work done or accomplish goals. They are humble, yet able to be firm when necessary. They treat their teams well and focus on doing a good job for the organization, even if it means giving up some of their resources to help the greater good. They know when to fight battles, and when to gracefully bow out. They aren’t afraid to ruffle a few feathers if for the greater good of the organization.  They demonstrate that they care about and appreciate their workers, yet they aren’t afraid to discipline or fire when necessary.  They empower others and create an environment that accepts change, is innovative, and continuously improves. This being said, there isn’t a one size fits all model for good versus bad leaders.  I’ve seen some pretty negative leaders, and they seem to come in all shapes and sizes.  Some seem really great on first impression, but the indicator of their ability can be seen in the way their teams get work done and accomplish goals.   The Christian community is not immune. If there are signs of operational dysfunction or poor environment, there is typically one or more “leaders” that are in the wrong seat on the wrong bus. I’ve seen church leaders who treat their workers poorly (often with a smile), yet wonder why they can’t get their team to develop innovative ways to minister. Alternatively, there are some incredible leaders with a heart for others. These are the leaders that people want to work for, and the leaders that set a positive tone that allows the organization to function appropriately and effectively for a sustained period.

I like Nohria and Khurana’s approach towards leadership development. I believe the structure that they recommend can take a person with a good heart and appropriate priorities, and teach them how to be more effective and influential. “Teaching leaders and followers to process and reflect, as opposed to developing a particular style or behavior, will become more the norm than the exception.”[6] In their research, they spoke with leaders from some of the most innovative companies in the world. Each talked about the need to constantly follow-up on wins and failures, and to analyze how leadership development looks within their organization. There is much additional research to be done on leadership development, and many questions are yet unanswered. There isn’t a single book or program that can make a person a “good leader”. Yet, being a good leader is something we must work towards. Genuinely caring for others and understanding our purpose within the world will position our thought patterns and attitudes to become more effective in our personal leadership development. Real growth occurs when the focus isn’t on oneself.  As John 3:30 (ESV) states, “He must increase, but I must decrease”.

[1] Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice (Kindle Location 77). Kindle Edition.

[2] Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice (Kindle Locations 112-113). Kindle Edition.

[3] Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice (Kindle Locations 169-170). Kindle Edition.

[4] http://www.christianpost.com/news/mars-hill-church-on-course-to-dissolve-by-end-of-year-local-congregations-make-decisions-on-future-129528/

[5] Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice (Kindle Locations 6452-6453). Kindle Edition.

[6] Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice (Kindle Locations 9388-9389). Kindle Edition.

Dawnel Volzke

Christ follower, wife, mom, teacher, student, professional...my passion is to serve Christ and my calling is to help organizations become great at fulfilling their mission.

6 responses to “Be careful of the leadership bug…”

1. Jon Spellman says:

Dawnel. I think your post didn’t get categorized in with the LGP5s. It’s not Orange in my browser..

Anyway, you said: “There are thousands of popular books written on the subject. With so much activity around leadership, it would seem to be an easy subject to master. Yet, despite so much focus poor leaders plague organizations.” and later followed up with “Christian organizations are not immune.” In my mind, I conflate those two lines and think you have hit the nail on the head. If attention was enough to ensure quality leaders then the world would be full of them yet, we still see that there is a gaping void of quality leaders in the world today.

There has to be some other secret sauce doesn’t there?

J

• Dawnel Volzke says:

Agreed John. I’ve thought a lot about this, and I wonder if we are making leadership too “trendy”, while at the same time putting the wrong people, in the wrong seat, on the wrong bus.

2. Nick Martineau says:

It’s sad. We have poor leaders and bad leaders. Leader has become a position instead of a character quality. This is where Caroline Ramsey would shake her head and point us towards leadership. Leadership doesn’t just fall on an individual but we should try to create environments where leadership can arise. I’ve thought about this a lot since talking with Caroline. Definitely something I need to work on.

• Dawnel Volzke says:

Nick…very well said! A leader doesn’t need to equate to a high position within an organization, and an organizations can have multiple leaders in multiple roles at all levels. A good leader is a powerful influence no matter their position. Unfortunately, we equate leadership with things like charisma and power. This is how organizations end up with the wrong people in the wrong roles…nobody wants to work for someone on a power trip. My Nana is one of the most influential leaders that I’ve ever met. She genuinely cares about others, and her very presence points others to Christ. She motivates and encourages others to be their best.

3. Travis Biglow says:

Hi Dawnel,

I like your blog. It is so much to leadership and we are in it. I find that so odd at times when i had come to a place in my life that i did not want nothing to do with leadership. I was in business for myself at a young age as a General Contractor and I grew up paying people and being in charge. I had so many night mares in business that after awhile i began to reassess why I was building in the first place. I was young then. I even opened a church in Arizona and moved there only for it to fail. I spent a lot of money, time and effort in these areas of profession and i came to the conclusion I would rather get a check from someone and be under a pastor then deal with the stress, failures, responsibilities and anything associated with being the major leader. But you cant get away from what you are called to do. So I’m back in the leadership thing and that bug got me again! lol

4. Phillip Struckmeyer says:

Dawnel, It is funny how we make good leadership into rocket science when I think you spell out the key in your post. You write, “If I compare the good versus bad leaders that I’ve encountered, the difference is between those who focus on making the world a better place versus those who focus on looking good, getting promoted, or pushing their own personal agendas. In other words, the good leaders care about others and the bad leaders care about themselves. I’ve seen much damage done to organizations, teams and individuals when poor leaders are given power and placed in roles to manage people and resources.” Well said but it is amazing how much work it takes to keep that simple key at the heart of the leader and leadership as a whole.