Bad Religion: It’s Not Only Bad for America!

Douthat, Ross Gregory. Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics. New York: Free Press, 2013.

Summary

I think that there are few who would argue that Christianity in the USA looks different than it did just one generation ago. Many would argue that Christianity in America has lost its cultural influence altogether; church attendance numbers seem to bear that out. Douthat says this shift is the result of “Bad Religion.” His thesis, simply put, is that American Christianity has departed from its roots. The United States is therefore faced with the social, cultural and religious implications of that departure, namely a crisis of traditional Christianity and a general crisis of faith in America. [1]

According to Douthat, the reason for the departure has to do, in part, with the way in which the church engages in culture or in some cases its lack of engagement. Additionally, there has been a decided shift from more an orthodox Christian stances toward an intense individualism that leads toward an orthopraxy of an individual experienced as opposed to an orthodoxy of belief. [2] This individualism has contributed to a re-expression of “ God within” and is articulated by Hollywood, the various media platforms as well from the pulpits of well-known preachers and evangelists who preach a doctrine of prosperity. [3]  Additionally, there is a continuing and strengthening polarization of the faithful into predominately two political parties each drawing hard lines of division not only from political opponents from brothers and sisters in Christ.

It is in this climate that, “Both doubters and believers stand to lose if religion in the age of heresy turns out to be complicit in our fragmented communities, our collapsing families, our political polarization, and our weakened social ties. Both doubter and believers will inevitably suffer from a religious culture that supplies more moral license than moral correction, more self-satisfaction than self-examination, more comfort than chastisement.” [4]

Application

Unlike Heath’s Rebel Sell thesis, [5] and Hunter’s Change the World thesis [6] which in my estimation are more American-centric, Douthat’s Bad Religion has a wider impact. I remember in the early 1990’s walking into a church in the middle of the Eastern part of Europe and seeing a book on a table that espoused what I considered to be an extreme prosperity doctrine. The pastor told me it was one of the first Christian books that were published in the national language after the fall of communism. I remember thinking, “of all of the books they could have translated and publish they chose this one.” That was my first introduction to the religious influence of the Untied States around the world. I’d always read about it and knew it existed but never saw it in action.

The religious impact of the United States on these emerging European churches in the 1990’s became a part of their DNA and is evident and in some cases problematic still today. Some of these early translated texts have impacted the theology and doctrines of movements and whole denominations. As missionaries, we find ourselves working with national leaders to address these issues. The internet, international media availability and the increase of English as the lingua franca have made the problem more challenging. All that to say that “bad religion” is not just an American problem—“bad religion” is a world problem. That gives all the more reason for us American’s to get it right at home.

1. Douthat, Ross. Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics. Reprint ed. Free Press, 2013, 62.
  2. Ibid., 77.
  3. Ibid., 177, 192.
  4. Ibid., 16.
  5. Heath, Joseph, and Andrew Potter. Rebel Sell: How the Counterculture Became Consumer Culture. Harper Perennial, 2005.
  6. Hunter, James Davison. To Change the World: The Irony, Tragedy, and Possibility of Christianity in the Late Modern World. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.

Jim Sabella

8 responses to “Bad Religion: It’s Not Only Bad for America!”

1. “All that to say that “bad religion” is not just an American problem—“bad religion” is a world problem. That gives all the more reason for us American’s to get it right at home.” Great words Jim. Yes, it is a world problem but it has been since the beginning of time. Your world perspective is rich. How would you suggest creating good religion and combating bad religion?

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Jennifer. You ask: How would you suggest creating good religion and combating bad religion? That’s a tough question to answer. It’s very complex. For a simple beginning, Christians can begin by asking, what does the Lord require of us? Do justly, love, mercy and walk humbly. If any one of those is missing, we are heading for problems. That’s a very simplistic answer to a very complex question.

Jim, I felt myself choking up a bit when I read your words, “I remember in the early 1990’s walking into a church in the middle of the Eastern part of Europe and seeing a book on a table that espoused what I considered to be an extreme prosperity doctrine.” That is so sad. We Americans have a lot to answer for.
    When I went to Colombia to adopt our oldest son, I remember watching American TV shows in the motel room. They were the stupidest sitcoms. I flipped through all the channels (only five or six) and there wasn’t anything any better. I felt ashamed to be an American. I wondered if that was the only view that we send our South American neighbors no wonder they can sometimes seem so unfriendly.
    But in your situation it is much worse. I hope by now that many better books are being published and read in Eastern Europe. Has that been your experience?

Thanks Mary. I think that a major contributor of the world’s view of America is via Hollywood and media. Both give only a limited view and on many levels not even a realistic view. When we first arrived in the eastern part of Europe I remember people asking me if I everyone had a house like J.R. Ewing. They were serious. That was a long time ago, but the media—especially hollywood—has a far reaching ability to shape people’s perception of the USA. This is the case in the religious world as well.

Yes, there are better books being published. In fact, when I saw that book it triggered something in me. I quickly put together a team to translate, publish and print quality Christian books. Some of them are still on the market today!

4. Jim my mind began to roam when you mention missionary. In the early centuries, the missionaries meant well I believe when they wanted to share the gospel. They were so eager to change them that they bred leaders who became authoritative rather than a servant to the people. The thoughts of ‘I know what is best for you raiseD its ugly head.” I believe in my communications with individuals in Africa who were raised under the earlier reign of missionaries carry some of those archaic views: The Priest or Preacher is your only connection to Jesus/God, you must be perfect, God is not pleased with your culture’s ways, be humble (insignificant). It wasn’t taught to them in those words but interpreted by those whom they served. The missionaries did not understand the culture before trying the change them with the scripture.
    Summary: Good intentions but bad religion

5. Jim, your post makes me realize how it is more important than ever for American Christians to get our collective acts together. If it is true that access to American/Western culture is driving the church in other parts of the world, then we need to start living like Jesus, loving people better, and practicing faithful presence.

I guess my concern with Douthat on this point is twofold: 1) his assumption that America must solve its own problems, (reminiscent of Steve King’s comment on immigration– “We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies.”) and,
    b) that what might be termed heresies in other contexts would be caused by American imports– in the contexts I’m familiar with, the people seem to create heresies well enough on their own.

7. Jim very insightful post. I do think that many of the issues we face are specific to our American Christian context. Question for you: Do you think that many of the issues that are similar to those in Amerca can be attributed to American evangelism? I am curious to know your thoughts about our global influence.