Authentic leadership is a treasure waiting to be found

Leadership: Theory and Practice, 8th edition by Peter G. Northhouse presents many different leadership theories and models to offer leaders and organizations to practically apply different theoretical leadership models. Each chapter summarizes and discusses different leadership theories by presenting a “definition, a model, and the latest research and applications of emerging approach to leadership.”[1] In this book which can be classified under communication and social science, published its 1st edition 20 years ago, Northhouse brings 30 years of his ample experience in teaching and writing about leadership to communicate strengths and criticisms of different theoretical leadership models. In such a globally evolving and complex world, organizations and communities are always searching for a qualified and self-differentiated leader to lead. Why are there such need for a qualified and self-differentiated leader? Leadership in any family, organizations, and countries are crucial because leadership is directly connected to power and management. Northhouse writes, “It is common for people to view leaders (both good and bad) and people in positions of leadership as individuals who wield power over others, and as a result, power is often thought of as synonymous with leadership.”[2] Also, he explains, “Leadership involves influence, as does management…many of the functions of management are activities that are consistent with the definition of leadership.”[3] The book presents wide range of leadership theories and the readers can gain a lot from case studies and application sections in each chapter.

One of the chapters that drew my attention this time was Authentic leadership in chapter 9. He defined authentic leadership as being about “the authenticity of leaders and their leadership.”[4] There is a growing need for an authentic leadership these days in our churches and in our organizations because “people feel apprehensive and insecure about what is going on around them, and as a result, they long for bona fide leadership they can trust and for leaders who are honest and good.”[5] I am not sure if it happens in every generation, but I feel I have heard too many moral and relational failures in many of the Christian leaders who represented authentic leadership in the past five years. These kinds of heartbreaking and shocking news of failure in trusted leadership sparks off many to be lost on the pathways of spiritual nomads and disheartened prodigals. David Kinnaman, the author of You Lost Me, estimated that about “two-fifths of young adults who have a Christian background will go through a period of spiritual nomadism – disengagement from attending church or significantly distance themselves from the Christian community.”[6] And there are prodigals who are completely hurt from the church to not only disengage, but completely reject Christian faith. Although these recent church drop-out statistics and findings are alarming, I have witnessed many spiritual nomads and prodigals finding a way back to Christ again in their life journey and settle back into the right place in a church community. The key players of faith God uses to bring back the nomads and prodigals are authentic leaders. The repentance and restoration takes place under the mercy and guidance of an authentic leaders who reaches out to give care to the lost nomads and prodigals.

For the years to come, development in authentic leadership in Christian leaders and disciples will be vital to the issue of reviving the Church. Bill George, one who developed the authentic leadership approach, found that “authentic leaders have a genuine desire to serve others, they know themselves, and they feel free to lead from their core values. Specifically, authentic leaders demonstrate five basic characteristics: (1) they have a strong sense of purpose, (2) they have strong values about the right thing to do, (3) they establish trusting relationships with others, (4) they demonstrate self-discipline and act on their values, and (5) they are sensitive and empathetic to the plight of others.”[7] That seems to fit the description of what people desire as their pastor and as their Christian leader. What helps in developing authentic leadership in a person? What brings development of those five basic characteristics of an authentic leaders? I believe authentic leadership is molded and built over lifetime through the weight and pressures that God places upon on our shoulders. I am reminded of apostle Paul’s experience of building his authentic leadership.  The newly spiritually forming identity within oneself that is built over time through living and struggling with faith in the real world. 2 Corinthians 4:7-12. Authentic leadership is a treasure to be found in all of our coming future.

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. 12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

[1] Peter G. Northouse, Leadership: Theory and Practice. 8th edition (Los Angeles: SAGE Publications, Inc, 2018), xix.

[2] Northouse, Leadership: Theory and Practice, 9.

[3] Northouse, Leadership: Theory and Practice, 12.

[4] Northouse, Leadership: Theory and Practice, 197.

[5] Northouse, Leadership: Theory and Practice, 197.

[6] David. Kinnaman, You Lost Me: Why Young Christians Are Leaving Church . . . and Rethinking Faith (Grand Rapids, MI, Baker Books, 2016), 63.

[7] Northouse, Leadership: Theory and Practice, 199.

Jonathan Lee

President of Streamside Ministry Lead Pastor of EM @ San Jose Korean Presbyterian Church in Sunnyvale, CA

12 responses to “Authentic leadership is a treasure waiting to be found”

Jonathan: I agree that for the years ahead of us will be determined by how Christian leaders take advantage of opportunities. Authentic leadership has to be the order of the day. We are all learning as we go here, but this book has a lot to offer to those of us develop our leadership skills. What one practical insight can you take away to help you in your ministry immediately?

• mm Jonathan Lee says:

Hi Troy, I realized that authentic leadership needs to be more communicated and exemplified by the Christian leaders. One practical application was to be clear and intentional in emphasizing to pursue after authentic leadership of Jesus Christ. Also to distinguish between the difference between transparent and being authentic.

Jonathan, I was also drawn to the chapter on Authentic Leadership. Do you believe that to be a leadership model for ministry or is that a non-negotiable characteristic for people in ministry? I kept going back and forth in my mind on that issue as I read the chapter. Are you seeing the youth in your ministry jaded due to the fall of some high-profile Christian leaders? How do you think we turn that perception/reality around?

• Kayli Hillebrand says:

If I could piggy-back off of Roy, have you found any impactful approaches to teaching and guiding youth of today into truly understanding what authenticity is and what it means for them? Especially in the heavy social media engagement, I see with college-aged students how challenging it is for them to even recognize what we would consider their authentic self.

• mm Jonathan Lee says:

Good question Kayli,

I dont have a definite answer to that question yet, but I am also worried to see a major double layer of identity forming in both real and virtual world of the new emerging generation. One thing I try to do with my children, Joy and Jayden is to accept the reality of social media and help them to discern between true and Christ-centered identities they want to cultivate vs. false and worldly identities they need to filter away. Also, I try to inform them both internal and external beings of us make up one identity in us and God calls us to work on the garden of our beautiful God given and designed identity.

• mm Andy Hale says:

Roy, I was hoping you had read this post. It reminds me so much of your NPO and our discussions about character.

Skills and talents can be taught, but passion and character cannot always be taught.

Great post, Jonathan.

• mm Jonathan Lee says:

Hi Roy,

In the past five years I heard so many influential Christian leaders fail in authentic leadership, some have even influenced my life personally. The lack of authenticity has a long term and harmful effects to followers. It’s not just an individual influence, even the Church has lost authentic leadership and platform in the society. It will be harder to find authentic leaders in the years to come, but the few will bring greater impact. In regards to youths, I see the powerful impact that one dedicated authentic leader can make to his or her young disciples.

Jonathan, first off, your posts continue to get better and better! You would never know you don’t like writing:) Good job friend.

I also liked that particular chapter and “model” of leadership. It is also my opinion that this kind of leadership is more crucial now than ever. Today I start my protype and one of the questions I am asking the group is: Can you lead if you don’t have influence? Can you lead without an official title or position?

I believe “authentic leadership” speaks to this… it is about character, integrity, influence, etc. I believe that the Church (and pastors) will have many opportunities going forward to demonstrate true authentic leadership, serving as another portal of the gospel to a hurting and dark world.

• mm Jonathan Lee says:

Ty Eric! Your encouragements means a lot to me. I am trying to grow in my writing skills and it is challenging. I will keep you in my prayers in your time of transition.

4. Elmarie Parker says:

Jonathan, thank you for your thoughtful post and for sharing the way in which you are wrestling with and seeking to apply the practices of authentic leadership in your context.

I also found myself drawn to the chapter on Leadership and Culture in the 8th Edition. I would value hearing your thoughts on how the leadership behaviors valued by different cultural groupings of people influence the experience of authentic leadership. In particular, Northouse makes note of the GLOBE study which places South Korea in the grouping of Confucian Asia nations. This same study then identifies six desired leadership behaviors (some stronger than others). I’m especially curious to hear your observations of how immigration might impact what Korean-American communities value regarding leadership behaviors–how different or similar are their desired leadership behaviors from those valued in South Korea? That’s a lot of interrelated questions. I’d love to hear your thoughts on any or all of them :).

Jonathan, love your title. Thanks for providing a very insightful analysis of Authentic Leadership. It seems that this is a style that is important to you. Is it something you have been using or are there some traits, attributes you hope to integrate into your leadership? Why or why not?