Another Moment of Understanding

The moment of learning since Hong Kong is now with some books I thought may not be carrying much but they are the critical books I need all the time from now until I finish my dissertation. Learning how to study by Derek Rowntree and the current book of Critical Thinking by Richard Paul and Linda Elder are great aid books in research preparation. It has been an enlightenment for one even as he struggles with balancing his work family and study. From a spiritual point of view, one may say it was God designed that these books are part of the reading s we start our DMin program. On the other hand, the two books were designed to help one define his way towards writing a better Research paper considering several components included in these books.

The universal intellectual Standards[i], were well articulated that I was able to connect and see how my research paper will be structured, organised and executed. One is encouraged of being a good writer with the correct tools of self-evaluation as one writer’s academic papers to ensure that they measure to the intellectual standards of writing. The has equally been an encouragement this would be able to carry out new reasoning as one write using “a criteria for evaluating Reasoning[ii]. It is coming out from a different perspective as it gives one a new view on reading and analysing the book which equally set one standard of writing academic papers for this course.

One thing that strongly stood out from this book was the “Intellectual Traits or Values”[iii]That has made a clear understanding in reading a new book and writing the dissertation. It is one way of making one consider the traits of intellectual integrity, humility, confidence in reason, perseverance, fairmindedness, courage, empathy and autonomy. In May I was given a book to review by a friend, and I regret if I knew these concepts I would have done a good job, and still, I am going to revisit the book and do a review using the intellectual traits or value. When reading from Derek on how to study the states that “Effective reading means being selective about what you read – and the reading it at whatever speed is appropriate to the nature of the material and to your purpose in reading.”[iv] It has been one great moment to read these two books one after the other and the relieve the readings has provided discipline of reading and writing academic papers. In the book, Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe it is written: “An ultimatum was immediately dispatched to Mbaino asking them to choose between the war on the one hand and on the other the offer of a young man and a virgin as compensation.”[v] Its been a real learning process on how to read and prepare oneself.

[i] (Richard Paul & Linda Elder October 20, 2014), Loc 80 of 298 Kindle

[ii]” (Richard Paul & Linda Elder October 20, 2014) Loc 145 of 298

[iii] (Richard Paul & Linda Elder October 20, 2014) Loc 165 of 298

[iv] (Rowntree 2016) Loc.2024 of 6734

[v] (Achebe 2017) Loc.10 of 212

John Muhanji

I am the Director Africa Ministries Office of Friends United Meeting. I coordinate all Quaker activities and programs in the Quaker churches and school mostly in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. The focus of my work is more on leadership development and church planting in the region especially in Tanzania.. Am married with three children all grown up now. I love playing golf as my exercise hobby. I also love reading.

4 responses to “Another Moment of Understanding”

Love how you quote Achebe here John. When I taught High School English, Things Fall Apart was one of the books required for my twelfth graders. I agree this book helps us “raise the bar” with our research.

2. Thank John for highlighting the big gains you’ve made in the better ways of reading and learning from the two books. I’m with you in this and appreciate the learning process that we’re going through, I’m certainly better in knowing how to read books and I’m well equipped on how to use critical thinking concepts and tools. As I aptly pointed out in my blog, it’s a process to gain these skills that takes repeated use of the learnt skills. Repeated use brings forth the positive habits that essentially constitute true learning and it’s well worth the while to put in the effort, such efforts will duly pay off, not only in this Doctorate program but also as valuable life skills.

3. Thank you John for highlighting the big gains you’ve made in the better ways of reading and learning from the two books. I’m with you in this and appreciate the learning process that we’re going through, I’m certainly better in knowing how to read books and I’m well equipped on how to use critical thinking concepts and tools. As I aptly pointed out in my blog, it’s a process to gain these skills that takes repeated use of the learnt skills. Repeated use brings forth the positive habits that essentially constitute true learning and it’s well worth the while to put in the effort, such efforts will duly pay off, not only in this Doctorate program but also as valuable life skills.

John,
    Brother, I am sure we can all relate to juggling so many important and good ministry demands as we continue to strive to move forward in our doctoral work. Thank you for being transparent as you continue to pursue your calling and fulfill God’s desire for you to complete this doctorate. Thank you for sharing how the assigned sources are working together to help you in structuring your research. Blessings, H