Allowing that word, “Evangelical” to grow on me…

As a child I had the privilege of not growing up in a religious home. In fact we never went to church, not even on Easter of during the Christmas season. There were no religious paintings on our walls and God, the bible, church, or religious words were never mentioned in our home.
God miraculously pursued me as a junior in high school and when I was born again, my life deepened and became more meaningful.
I read the Bible on the bus to and from school and at home. God had gifted me to be a long-distance runner so as I shared my faith in school, everyone listened to me. Then I miraculously found a church that emphasized the bible as God’s authority, Christ as the way to God, evangelism to lead people to Christ, and that all men need to repent of their sins. It was all new to this 16-year-old and I immersed myself in the Bible, evangelism, and having Christ at the center of my life. From attending West Oaklane Church of God, I can now see how the United Kingdom impacted my church. In his book, Evangelicalism In Modern Britain, Bebbignton distinguishes what is now widely held as the marks of Evangelicalism:
Conversionism-the belief that lives need to be changed;
Activism-the expression of the Gospel as effort;
Biblicism– a particular regard for the Bible; and
Crucicentrism-a stress on the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.1

Twenty-one months after my conversion experience I attended Lancaster Bible College and saw these same four marks throughout my training. I was soon introduced to the term evangelical and realized I was part of a bigger movement. From ’84-’88 I was introduced to J.I. Packer, John Stott, Charles Stanley, Jonathan Wesley, John MacArthur, Jim Baker, George Whitfield, C.S. Lewis, Jimmy Swaggart, Leonard Ravenhill, Gordon MacDonald, Jim Elliot, Donald Barnhouse, James Montgomery Boice, and so many others. Through listening to discussions in and out of class I also learned that evangelical meant being Republican, Caucasian, men only in leadership, women should not preach and they definitely should not teach men, speaking in tongues is unbiblical, evangelize the world, each verse has only one meaning, do not associate with gay people, evangelize the world, love the sinner but hate the sin, attending all church services is a barometer of your spiritual life, God’s Word is more important than your feelings, evangelize the world, and of course a few more “insights.”

While reading Evangelicalism In Modern Britain: A history from the 1730’s to the 1980’s, I was thrown back to the 80’s where most of my professors were trained but maybe not “educated” in the 40’s and 50’s. For many of them their hearts were full of humility but their heads were not open to see life from a different mindset.

Speaking of different mindset, this morning I spent 3 hours with pastors in our community discussing unity in our city and what I heard from the main speaker, Tim Doering from Netzer really got my attention. He said, “The enemy wants me to think, it’s about me. The original iniquity of America is greed. We have no idea how much we swim in greed. This leads to individualism. Greed invites us to believe we don’t have enough in God”2 As he said this all I could think about was Dr. Clark’s paper when he wrote, “Leading early Evangelical leaders themselves noted that their faith propagated fastest and best where capitalist markets were developing.”3 Ironically Bebbington disagreed with this because he believed the cultural context helped evangelicalism to grow and spread.4

I felt Dr. Clark and Mr. Doering were helping me to understand that even though Evangelicalism has been great for our society, it has truly been capitalism and sometimes greed that has helped it to spread. From Christian music to Christian conferences to Christian wrist bands, evangelicalism has done a great job marketing itself. Some would say, “Oh no, Christianity is not in the marketing business but it is hard to overlook, Christian magazines, television, radio, t-shirts, etc. Maybe Bebbington disagreed with this because marketing was not as strong in the 70’s and 80’s or maybe he just simply believes the cultural context is pretty strong and contributes heavily to the expansion of Christianity. For example, “Denominational splits form an excellent index to the advance of fresh ideas.”5 I definitely agree with Bebbington here because when you have splits or new congregations, different ways of doing “life” emerge and can also cause expansion.

With all this in mind I can see how the late 1730’s in Britain influenced the early 1980’s in Philadelphia, Pa. My church still held true to Bebbington’s four marks of Evangelicalism, just like my college. I can also see how capitalism, church splits, and new denominations helped Evangelicalism to expand across the pond. Reading this book has given me a greater appreciation for being an Evangelical because for the past ten to fifteen years I have shied away from that term. Even though that word still has bad connotations, I actually appreciate it a little more, thanks to Bebbington.

1. D.W. Bebbington, Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A History from the 1730’s to the 1980’s (London: Routledge, 1989), 3
2. Tim Doering, Understanding God’s Design for the Church. Seminar at Coatesville, PA Pastor’s luncheon. October 5, 2023. (Netzer.org, One Church Equipping).
3. Dr. Jason Paul Clark, Evangelicalism and Capitalism: A Reparative Account and Diagnosis of Pathogeneses in the Relationship(DPhil Thesis, Middlesex University, London, 2018), 54.
4. D.W. Bebbington, Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A History from the 1730’s to the 1980’s (London: Routledge, 1989), 252.
5. Ibid., 245.

Todd E Henley

Todd is an avid cyclist who loves playing frisbee golf, watching NASCAR, making videos, photography, playing Madden football, and watching sport. He is addicted to reading, eating fruits and vegetables, and drinking H2O. His passion is talking about trauma, epigenetics, chromosomes, and the brain. He has been blessed with a sensationally sweet wife and four fun creative children (one of which resides in heaven). In his free time he teaches at Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary and is the Founder/Executive Director of Restore Counseling Center.

13 responses to “Allowing that word, “Evangelical” to grow on me…”

Todd- You have captured my attention in many ways with this post! First: Thank you for sharing your story. I enjoyed hearing you recount the miracles God has worked in your life.

Second: your quote, “For many of them their hearts were full of humility but their heads were not open to see life from a different mindset” knocked me off my feet for a moment. What a great way to capture so many of the influences I can trace back to my own spiritual path. The connection you infer between training and education here is so important to me in thinking about how I want to support others in their growth.

Thirdly: you call out the observation that we are unaware of the greed we swim in. I also can trace back to where Christianity seems to have over-blurred the lines with Capitalism. (Sometime I will tell you about our little local chain of “Christian Supply” stores here in Oregon)

Thank you for the syntopical tour you took me on this morning! Question: you mention that you walked away from this read with an increased appreciation of Evangelicalism. What, specifically, comes to mind in that regard?

• Hello wise young lady. For the past 15-20 years, that word “evangelical” has had a bad taste in my mouth and will most likely for a long time. This read helped me to understand that evangelicalism gave me a great foundation. It was my introduction into Christianity and no matter how it has changed and hurt so many people, I need to be appreciative for what I have learned because of it. This is why I am learning to be appreciative of it…even though I have clients who have been damaged by it. Thanks for the good question, young lady!

Hi Todd,

I have to echo Jennifer’s applause. Your post generated questions about my Christian up bringing (starting at age 33).

Because I was overseas, in an Army Chapel, the focus on was on Christ. However, within the first six months, the pastor/chaplain was put in prison for having sex with his adopted Korean Daughter.

This did not shake my faith, but instead I actually visited with the pastor in prison and we shared some moments together.

The Bebbington Quadrilateral is new to me. So is The Wesleyan Quadrilateral and Adam Harris also mentioned the Rohr tricycle.

Sigh much to consider.

Thanks for your post.

• Hey Sir Russell, thanks for sharing your insights bro. Grateful, you went to see that pastor just like Jesus would have. How is he doing now and how did the Church reach out to him?

• mm Russell Chun says:

Update:

I would like to think he is out of prison now. I was abrasive back then. As a new Christian, carrying my own load of sins, I was frightened at the condemnation of the church. I challenged them, “what about hate the sin, not the sinner?”

There were enough Christians who talked me through this. And my faith stuck.

Shalom.

3. Cathy Glei says:

Thank you for sharing your conversion story. It is such a privilege to be on this doctoral journey with you, my friend. The words and phrases you mentioned hearing in discussions are spot on. It prompted me to times in my upbringing when I heard similar phrases. Please explain in what ways you appreciate evangelicalism more.

• Hey Cathy! I just started appreciating evangelicalsm more because after reading Bebbington, I realized it was my foundation. it introduced me to Christianity and therefore, it’s important for me to be grateful for how my faith started and how strong I became because of it. I still have issues with evangelicalism but I appreciate what it did for me in the beginning. 😊

I frequently hear from congregation members and others that the church is a business and must be run as such. In seminary we were told over and over again, “The church is NOT a business and must not be run as such.” Arggh. I can see the point of the congregation members – to some degree the church does need to be run in such as way as to bring in new “customers” to “bring in revenue” so that we can pay staff and pay for our “services.” However, if we think that way we have completely succumbed to the capitalistic machine. Instead, aren’t we to trust that God will provide – Jehovah Jireh? I mean, we do have responsibility toward stewardship of our churches but we also are called to rely on God and trust God to take care of us – even as we are called to give sacrificially.

I really appreciate what the speaker, Tim Doering said, ““The enemy wants me to think, it’s about me. The original iniquity of America is greed. We have no idea how much we swim in greed. This leads to individualism. Greed invites us to believe we don’t have enough in God” When I think about running the church as a business -which extends into the Christian music business, Christian wristbands, and other such ventures you mention – I think we are falling not only into greed but into the hustle culture – we have to do more and more and more to earn our right to exist, to be “successful.”

Good thoughts on all this Todd. Obviously you got me thinking! I appreciate you!

5. Hustle culture? Whoa! That’s a great phrase to title a sermon or blog! But it’s also a good leadership phrase to use when you speak at conferences. Anyway, I’m gonna start using that phrase this week. Kally, as always, your leadership insight and depth are a blessing to our community. Thank you!

Todd, I think your middle initial must stand for Eternally grace giving! You are the kindest and most earnest person and I am better for knowing you. It’s hard to not sometimes just dust your hands off and walk away from a word like Evangelical. I’ve tried, and probably mostly have succeeded, but it finds me. Kind of like how Christ found you….He pursued you. I am drawn to your spirit of love and joy Todd! Thank you for always finding the “good” things! Especially when I know you see the “darkness” in humanity in your work! Thank God for you.
    How would you redefine Evangelical if you could?

7. Hello Jana! I appreciate your kind and gracious words. Ooooh, I’ve had my serious concerns with that word and I definitely see, hear, and feel the dark side of evangelicalism when I’m counseling. Since I have been through it and I’m in it, I use it to help others work through their abuse/pain/doubts/fear, etc.
    At this time, I don’t think I could redefine it…if that is possible. Well, it’s probably possible, I’m just not smart enough to know how to do it. 😊

8. Cathy Glei says:

Thank you for sharing your conversion story. It is such a privilege to be on this doctoral journey with you, my friend. The words and phrases you mentioned hearing in discussions are spot on. It prompted me to times in my upbringing when I heard similar phrases.