All Too Common Leadership

Written by: on December 1, 2023

“As you read, you will discover that each of us will either follow the scandalous way Jesus led or become a scandal. There is no neutral ground.”[1] There is truly no neutral ground to leadership. It is no surprise that leadership books, blogs, email list and water-cooler-conversations persist the way they do. We all participate in this delicate dance called leadership in are professional, social, religious and family lives. The choice, according to Jr Woodward in his book Scandal of Leadership, is to choose the “scandalous” way of Jesus or become a scandal at some point in your journey. I don’t think he is being hyperbolic.  

Biography and Leadership as Theology

Scandal of Leadership seeks to address the the deeper issues underlying “fallen” leadership in the context of the Christian church. In particular, the role that dominating power has contributed to leadership abuses and misbehaviors by those in positions of leadership. Jr Woodward seeks to get to the root causes of this and offer a remedy, because dominating leadership is pervasive in the church and undermining the mission of Jesus. As he observes, “As a result [of experiencing dominating forms of leadership], an increasing number of people are deeply suspicious of all organizations that might interfere with their self-agency, especially the church. There is a growing resistance to institutions.”[2] This resonated with my experience. 

My first full time ministry position was in a small nondenominational church in a bedroom community outside of Dallas, Texas. The founding pastor’s leadership was characterized by a persuasive, charismatic, and domineering manner that was initially attractive to me and many others that came to the church. Over time, it became obvious that there were issues with this form of leadership including pride, bullying, lack of accountability, and fluid policies and procedures all veiled under the mission of being “less religious.” Initially, the church grew for a time, until a breaking point in which half of the staff was abruptly dismissed, including myself. It was a traumatic experience that hurt more people than I can count. As a result, I’ve sought lots of healing in my own journey; which is why I appreciated Jr Woodward’s observation that, “For those of us who have been hurt by the leadership of others, we do not have to allow that hurt to define us. We can forgive even if we cannot reconcile with others, for forgiveness takes just one person, but reconciliation takes two and involves repentance from the wrongdoer.”[3]

Powers and Mimetic Desires

These kinds of stories are not unique to those who serve on church staff or those who have attended churches with domineering leadership, which is why Woodward wants to dig deeper into the causes and solutions. Woodward explains the focus of the book in this way, “In developing an imitation-based framework, my aim is to address the problem of domineering leadership more robustly and to equip us in developing a spirituality that reshapes our desires toward God, his kingdom, and his righteousness.”[4]

Two of the interesting features of the book and the imitation-based framework proposed is the nature of the Powers on leadership and the way humans replicate the mimetic desires of those around them. The concept of Powers is a tricky one that is difficult to contextualize[5], Woodward defines in this way: “In brief, the term Powers refers to Satan, demonic, and the principalities and powers mentioned in Scripture.”[6]. 

Mimetic desires is a key characteristic of humanity and one that is deeply forming in leadership. One of the main influences of Woodward’s theory is René Girard and he explains that, “René Girard’s key discovery, which he confirms through theology and various academic disciplines, is that those who look to us as models will imitate our desires.”[7] Woodward completes the idea by observing, ”We become what we love, and ultimately, what we love is what we worship.” [8]

This is a threshold-concept level idea, that our imitation is so complete to include the desires of those around us, including those in positions of power. This raises the question of who is functioning as our model in leadership, which Woodward would say is either Christ or Satan/Powers.[9]

Redeemed Desires

I found this book extremely convicting and revealing. It was convicting in the ways I see the Powers at work in my own denominational structures. My annual reports consists of comparing attendance, baptisms, and money collected. Interestingly, denominational leaders know that this is not an adequate measure, as a result, there is little feedback given based on the annual reports. Yet, so many conversations among pastors and church leaders use these metrics to determine success and effectiveness of pastors. We often lament that these measurements are “all that we have” yet, that rightly is an inadequate answer. 

This book was revealing to my own leadership motives. What are my actual goals or ambitions in my pastoral leadership? What truly excites me about the work I am called to do? How does this get expressed to my staff, congregation, and family? What parts of my leadership truly reflect an imitation of Christ or an imitation of the test business approaches? These are all questions that I need to continue to reflect on desperately. It seems quite obvious that I am to imitate Christ in my leadership, yet it is so easy to imitate other perspectives that can seem less scandalous but are ultimately counterfeit. 

‌1. Jr Woodward, The Scandal of Leadership (Cody, Wyoming: 100 Movements Publishing, 2023), p. xxv. 

2. Ibid., 5. 

3. Ibid., xxvii. 

4. Ibid., 216. 

5. Ibid.

6. Ibid., 4. 

7. Ibid., 109

8. Ibid. 

9. Ibid., 220. 

Chad McSwain

Chad is a systematic creative serving in pastoral ministry for nearly 20 years, Chad is a professional question-asker and white-board enthusiast, who enjoys helping people discover their own passions and purpose. A life-long learner, he has a B.A, Philosophy - Univ. Central Oklahoma, M.A Theology - Fuller Seminary, M.Div. Perkins School of Theology at SMU and is pursuing a Doctor of Leadership - George Fox University. He is an ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church, currently serving as Lead Pastor of Whitesboro UMC. Chad and his wife, Brandi live in Prosper, Texas along with their three children, two pugs and a chameleon.

9 responses to “All Too Common Leadership”

1. mm Daron George says:

Chad,

Great post! Reflecting on Woodward’s discussion of mimetic desires and the Powers, you’ve highlighted the tension between Christ-like imitation and the influence of worldly measures of success(best business practices). How do you envision church leadership maintaining a focus on divine aspirations in an environment that often rewards and recognizes the latter?

• mm Chad McSwain says:

Great question. I think it begins in my own heart. I am often schizophrenic in what I celebrate with staff and with the congregation. I am guilty of highlighting numbers and size of events and programs way too often. Yet, I have celebrated people stepping into new opportunities to grow and encouraged our church for supporting members who are trying to grow in their faith. I think all of this is a reflection of my own soul.

2. mm Audrey Robinson says:

Chad,
    I enjoyed reading your post and thank you for being transparent. We’ve heard this quote many times, ”We become what we love, and ultimately, what we love is what we worship.” As you reflect on your ministry, have you identified what you love? If so, care to share a few nuggets of wisdom?

• mm Chad McSwain says:

One thing I love is helping young leaders grow. This summer, our church had five different preachers present sermons. I coached them along in the development and presentation and our church was excited to give them this opportunity. As a young leader, I hoped for those who would mentor me, which eventually happened. I take great joy in being intentional with young leaders.

3. Chad – Excellent summary and discussion. I struggle with measurment metrics for ministry, as well. We know that what we measure is what we focus on. Do you have ideas or suggestions for alternate metrics that would be less conducive to promoting a domineering attitude among leaders?

• mm Chad McSwain says:

One that is helpful to me is investing and platforming other leaders. I find that it requires a lot of behind the scenes work to prepare a leader to give a sermon, lead an event or study. The person is the one who is celebrated and people rarely celebrate the one who spent time coaching. I’ve found that keeps my ego in check and I’ve found the deeper joy of helping those who are coming behind me. Perhaps, what ways have you invested in another person this week?

Great post Chad. Thank you for sharing. Great questions in your conclusion. Another question is how do we discern between the Powers and Mimetic desires? It is not always easy.

Chad,
    This is awesome:
    ” I love is helping young leaders grow. This summer, our church had five different preachers present sermons.”
    I bet you did some great coaching with those who preached! I am curious how it was giving and receiving feedback for the five? I am curious how these people were elected or did they self elect to preach? How many of these people were women and how many men? Will you continue to have these people preach? What were the trademarks of the sermons that were delivered well? I am happy these people got this experience. Practice…this is how we improve at something. How was it for you trusting the pulpit with others?

Chad,
    This is awesome: