Akisomere angajep ngaturkana– How to Study… a Language

Derek Rowntree, a founding member and retired Professor of Educational Development at UK’s Open University—one of the largest universities in England and Europe—presents a “realistic approach” to studying. He suggests that what he offers is not a model, or especially, the model for studying, but rather, an opportunity to understand how we learn, how we approach learning, and how we can strengthen our learning.

How will this book help me be a better learner? (93)language learning

Before we moved to Kenya, we spent a month learning how to learn a language. We were entering a context that did not have language classrooms or language teachers. Our month-long course gave us the tools we would need to direct our own learning of any language (ie. we practiced our tools learning Vietnamese in order to learn Turkana) (55). In the class, we were reminded of humility—people will laugh at your pronunciation, and that’s okay, and the need to approach the language and culture with a learning attitude—we were not going to arrive in Turkana ready to lead the Turkana to Jesus, without knowing how to communicate with them.

Rowntree suggests that “one’s early days as a student are often full of uncertainties and self-doubt” (5), which was certainly true as we landed in Turkana, unable to speak more than a single greeting, “ejoka?” (‘is it good?’ ie, ‘hello’). We became, full-time for a year, students of the language and culture of Turkana. I discovered that I had to work hard and take initiative on my own to understand my neighbors. We hired a “language helper” a bi-lingual speaker, though we were the ones directing our own learning; he was there to assist us. Many days were spent struggling to pronounce words correctly (I accidently discovered that the words for “old woman” and “lantern” are nearly identical, as are “sleepy” and “hairy”). In the midst of our struggles with the language and the challenges of the culture, we had to consistently remind ourselves of our purpose—“Why are you studying? What do you hope to get out of it?” (9). We were learning the language of our neighbors to communicate with them, to walk together in understanding the way of Jesus. The vocabulary and grammar were more frustrating for me than for Kip, but I captured the pronunciation quicker. We met often with our language helper, crafting conversations, recording and listening to him speaking, practicing stories. We started out with simple words, greetings and phrases, but throughout our year’s learning, progressed to the level of preaching, teaching, understanding, and even appreciating the nuances of humor. But it was a lot of hard work, discipline, and drive.

I share this minute window into the beginning of our time in Kenya with you, reader, as a way to suggest that learning is something that’s not simply contained in a classroom, and most likely for all of us in this doctoral program, has been a continual part of the practices of our lives. My attempt here is to “be able to relate what I’ve been studying [in this book, in this program] to my own life so that I see a different significance in things”, that is, approaching learning as understanding and application (19). While I believe Rowntree’s purpose in this book is meant primarily for classroom learning, it seems to me that his approaches can be applied much more broadly to studying in our life experiences.

While I am inclined toward a serialist learning style (25) rather than holist (26), there must be room for both approaches in certain contexts. It was easy for me, when working with my language helper on the vocabulary for a Bible study on Luke, to focus on the details, the step by step understanding of the text in Turkana (arai ayong akasuban a etich a Akuj—“I am the Lord’s servant”). And I missed the bigger picture of my learning— in this case, how to ask questions of the study participants and comprehend their responses.

From Rowntree’s alternate learning styles, I gravitate much more towards the activist and pragmatist styles, preferring relevancy, teamwork, and role models to emulate over the theoretical, reflective styles. Studying the Turkana language was an ideal environment for my preferred styles, whereas reflecting on theories and concepts are much more challenging.

Departing from my Turkana experience and landing back here with you, fellow cohort peeps and adviser, I confess this was the most difficult reflection to date for me to write, primarily because the content of the book focused on me, as reader and student. Rowntree’s method of asking direct questions of the reader, on our purposes, styles, and preferences forces me to confront, not only my own approaches to studying, but my own habits of studying. At this point in each of our lives, we’ve had many years to perfect our habits of organizing, reading, and studying—sometimes sloppily. However, hopefully, we’ve also had years of disciplined studying, inherently following Rowntree’s suggested approach of SQ3R (Survey, Question, Read, Recall, Review) (83). By the conclusion of the text, I felt confirmed with my study strategies, and appreciated his delineation of various approaches to studying—for instance, understanding that my concentration preference is to study and write for short intense periods with frequent breaks was not “wrong” (74).

akisomere lokojokon tokona kotere ngakiro keng—I will be able to study better now because of this man’s words

Katy Drage Lines

In God’s good Kingdom, some minister like trees, long-standing, rooted in a community. They embody words of Wendell Berry, “stay years if you would know the genius of the place.” Others, however, are called to go. Katy is one of those pilgrims. A global nomad, Katy grew up as a fifth generation Colorado native, attended college & seminary and was ordained in Tennessee, married a guy from Pennsylvania, ministered for ten years in Kenya, worked as a children’s pastor in a small church in Kentucky, and served college students in a university library in Orange County, California. She recently moved to the heart of America, Indianapolis, and has joined the Englewood Christian Church community, serving with them as Pastor of Spiritual Formation. She & her husband Kip, have two delightful boys, a college junior and high school junior.

9 responses to “Akisomere angajep ngaturkana– How to Study… a Language”

1. Katy, I enjoyed reading about your work in Kenya.
    I too found it challenging to learn TWI language spoken in Ghana when I visited in 2008. I keep saying I was going to challenge myself to learn so that I can return and communicate with the residents there.
    Rowntree encouraged and confirmed my methods of studying. He also shared some great tips that I need to return to that I utilized when working on my Masters.
    Again, thanks for sharing your experience.

2. Mary Walker says:

Great post, Katy. Yes, learning is a big part of life in the classroom and out.
    I relate only a tiny bit to your language study. When we adopted our kids from Korea they were 5 and 3. I tried to learn a little Korean to ease them through their transition. You know how important inflection is in oriental languages. I learned that “appa”, depending on how you pronounce it was either “daddy” or “a pain in the stomach”. Ok, so that went well.
    I appreciate the depth of your comments. The book was simple and yet did not go through so many editions without being the basic timeless truths about learning. Thanks for a great post.

3. Stu Cocanougher says:

I always enjoy hearing about cross cultural experiences. My experience in the Philippines as a young man changed my worldview, and my life.
    I agree with you that Rowntree did an excellent job of catering the book to the reader. This is refreshing. I know that seminars about “learning styles” are very popular among educators elementary, middle, and high schools. Rowntree reminds us that we need to be in touch with the ways that we learn best.

4. So interesting to hear about your Kenya experience. I’d like to hear you say that Kenya phrase in person! Sounds like a tongue twister. I’m glad you were validated through this reading that your studying methods are acceptable. Great post.

5. Rountree talked about learning outside of our comfort zone. After reading your post, I can see how your Kenya experience allowed for you to learn outside of your comfort zone. In doing so, you gained far more knowledge and understanding then you have otherwise! I think that is amazing and a great example of how it can be done.

6. Jim Sabella says:

Katie, I’m reading your post just after commented on Jennifer’s post about my language acquisition experience in the Czech Republic. Isn’t there a saying about “great minds?” This is a really interesting post. I too agree that, “[Rowntree’s] approaches can be applied much more broadly to studying in our life experiences.” His holistic approach is refreshing. Agree with the others too that your experience in Kenya is interesting and impacting. I can completely relate to the language learning experience too. Enjoyed your post.

• Katy Lines says:

Thanks Jim. You can relate to the challenges and discipline it takes to learn a second language, and the way a second language can stretch the way you see the world. For instance, there are just some words/phrases that always work better for me now in Turkana than in English. Do you ever feel that way?

7. carolyn kelly barney says:

my son will soon Jan. 18uth spend a week or more in Turkabna. Can you send me these words to help him get along? Thank you, please, beautiful, good, excuse me,