Africa and Christianity

Africa and Christianity

Thomas C. Oden, the author of How Africa Shaped the Christian Mind, successfully overcomes his Caucasian, American, United Methodist, and Wesleyan bias when he characterizes Africa as the geographic cradle and “seedbed” for historic Christianity.[1]  Oden provides the reader with a chronological survey of an Afrocentric ancient world, early African Christian fathers, and the important African contextual events that he believes shaped and influenced post 1st Century Christian thought.  His narrative portrays a passionate and persistent campaign for African recognition by the global Christian community.  His goal is to inform, inspire, and challenge new African Christian academics to adopt his cause, champion a rebirth in African scholarship, prove his thesis, and achieve the appropriate theological recognition for Africa’s historical contribution to modern day Christianity.[2]

“Black Africa” is the racist designation for some of the countries in Sub-Saharan Africa that Oden says have reconciliation challenges with North Africa.[3] My wife and I lived, served. studied, and ministered alongside indigenous people groups in the countries of Zambia, Botswana, and South Africa.  We attended local churches in the bush, and international churches in the city.  We praised and worshiped the Lord with over 30 different cultures from the African continent and with expatriates from other countries.  We made lifelong friends, and informally adopted six young girls that we continue to support as they grow into adulthood.  In all my seminary studies and experiences with the new generation of African moruti’s (preachers) I never sensed a strong resentment or racial hostility towards the western influenced missionary.  Yes, we had a lot to learn on how to live and operate in a collective, tribal based culture; but for the most part the people were very forgiving and tolerant of the lekgowa (white person).  If we showed respect, tried our best to learn and use their language, greetings, and customs while reflecting the image of Christ, we were welcomed into their tribes, huts, homes, and lives.

According to Barnes book review, Oden characterizes the problem coming from racism, prejudice, and false assumptions that permeate the Western Christian mindset and thereby weaken the historical role and legacy of Africa’s original contribution to Christendom.[4]  I agree with his problem, but do not think he goes deep enough as an author of systematic theology to identify and expose the cause of the problem, Satan.  In my experience, discernment, and based on the word of God, I believe that any weakening, distortion, or diminishing of Africa’s role or influence in the advancement of Christianity is because of the interference by the rulers, forces of darkness, and spiritual forces of wickedness.[5]

Oden’s fix for Africa’s apparent loss of historic influence in Christianity is found in his appeal to a new generation of young Africans symbolically positioned at the “feet” of their historical ancestors.[6]  While I think Oden has a very philosophical solution to his African recognition problem, I believe he would be better served to focus these same young Africans at the feet of Jesus and study to learn the ways of God, in obedience and faith to the Holy Spirit.  In conclusion, Oden is a good read for students with very little cross-cultural exposure and a helpful primary resource and reading list for additional inquiry and investigation into the African influence and contributions in historic Christianity.[7]

Additional Comments on Oden:  While he only refers to the influence of evil twice in the entire book, he shows deep a theological understanding of the influence of spiritual warfare as dark forces try to split churches and create disunity in the Christian world.  For example, when commenting on the state of ecumenism in the world church he acknowledges the negative impact of relativism by saying, “When moral relativism puts on the face of being absolutely true, then ironically it proves itself to be neither true nor absolute.”[8] Out of the seven ways that Odens says Africa shaped Christianity I identify best with Africa’s early conciliar patterns that formed the ecumenical movement before the first meetings of the fledgling Christian council meeting at Nicaea in 325 A.D.[9]

In summary, Oden overcame his worldview and changed his personal and theological paradigm to invest and investigate Africa from the ancient origins of Christianity.  As another westerner who lived in and loves Africa I agree with his assessment that “African ecumenism” is making a comeback.[10] One example of how new Christians deep inside Africa are reaching the world is seen through “Macha Works,” which took the internet into the bush and gave it away to the tribes.[11]  I saw lives changed by Christ, and then saw discipleship multiply through the villages new ability to connect with other tribes, other countries, and the world.  Finally, I agree with the Oden’s idea that the heart of Africa is a “living, organic unity of the body of believers in Christ.”[12]

[1] Thomas C. Oden, How Africa Shaped the Christian Mind: Rediscovering the African Seedbed of Western Christianity. (Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2007) Kindle Edition, Location 237.
[4] Andrew Barnes. “How Africa Shaped the Christian Mind: Recovering the African Seedbed of Western Christianity.” Church History 77, no. 4, 2008) 1108.
[5] Ephesians 6:12, “For our struggle is not against flesh and flood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.” ESV.
[6]  Ibid., How Africa Shaped, 1048.
[7] “How Africa Shaped the Christian Mind: Rediscovering the African Seedbed of Western Christianity.” Publishers Weekly 254, no. 41 (October 15, 2007): 57. Academic Search Premier, EBSCOhost (accessed September 6, 2017).
[8] Ibid., How Africa Shaped, 964.
[11] Gertjan van Stam and Gerard van Oortmerssen. “Macha works!.” (2010).
[12] Ibid., How Africa Shaped, 901.

Mike

5 responses to “Africa and Christianity”

Hi Mike,
    It seems like you’ve had some amazing international experiences and clearly have a global lens. One statement you made – “I agree with his problem, but do not think he goes deep enough as an author of systematic theology to identify and expose the cause of the problem, Satan.” is thought provoking. I think you make a very good point – the “spiritual forces of wickedness” do exist. What is most disturbing and discouraging is that most pastors, scholars and theologians, then and now, are celebrated and respected for their knowledge, critical thinking, faith, and insight. The biggest challenge for Christians is to discern truth from fiction. This is a perfect example of camouflaged truth – the learner is left with the responsibility to flush it out.

2. Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts in this post.

Your description of “spiritual forces of wickedness” made me remember that many of the Desert Mothers and Fathers experienced extreme and dramatic encounters with the demonic. Somehow Africans seem more attuned to these realities than westerners.

I am so glad you will be able to bring to the table your experiences from living in a far away land, more than once. Your perspectives will be so valuable.

Now that you are living in Boise, it brings back memories of going to Northwest Nazarene in Nampa where I met my wife. I taught in Meridian and was the athletic director for the West Ada School District. I hear that area is booming with population growth. I look forward to chatting with you about it.

4. Wow, I can’t wait to talk with you more about your experiences in Africa. This is one of the things I am looking forward to in being a part of this diverse cohort and learning so much more about different cultures. I loved your example…”of how new Christians deep inside Africa are reaching the world is seen through “Macha Works,” which took the internet into the bush and gave it away to the tribes.”, and I was thinking what a powerful tool to be able to change the tide in Africa like Oden so desperately wants. Great post and I look forward to meeting you in Cape Town.

I too appreciate your worldview and perspective in this journey. So often we shy away from talking about the supernatural. I think we really can’t understand many areas of the world without it, especially for those of us that have been trained and educated in the western world.