A Trip to See Buddha

“If a picture paints a thousand words”, says Nicholas Boyd Crutchley, “then let a picture inspire a thousand words.” [1] This is such a cliché and overly used phrase, but true. Pictures and media can speak to us in ways that simple words would not let us hear. I have seen this while preaching on Haggai and the rebuilding of the temple. During the sermon, I showed pictures of old churches that were run down and boarded up. Several people approached me after the service and said, “I will never forget the images of those old churches.” I was humbled as my ego would have loved them to say, “I will never forget the points you made”. The picture or the creative narrative has a way of capturing our attention in a way that is unique and memorable. This is true in our international fellowship where English is not just people’s second language, but for some, it is their third or fourth language. However, periodically I am asked to make sure the preachers have more than just words and scripture on their PowerPoint, this is to ensure that those that might not have understood all the words, still understand the message. We are a sensory society and our teaching and our learning has to be reflective of that.

Pictures of people living in diverse cultures helps me understand not only about myself, but also how to interact with those around me. Images showing an individual’s eyes, smiles, or the struggles they endure help me know how akin we all are to the residents of this world. Author of The Ethnographic Interview, James P. Spradley said, “I want to understand the world from your point of view. I want to know what you know in the way you know it. I want to understand the meaning of your experience, to walk in your shoes, to feel things as you feel them, to explain things as you explain them. Will you become my teacher and help me understand?” [2] When we have individuals that want to come to work alongside us, I often ask them, “can you humiliate yourself and be the dumb foreigner in need of help?” We have found that as westerners we are very independent and self-reliant. If we can push that aside and see the value in admitting we do not know something, we do not understand why that situation is happening, then we are open and available to be taught. When we approach a culture with ignorance and humility, like a true student, then and only then are we teachable.

Ethnography is as Sarah Pink says, “an approach to experiencing, interpreting and representing experience, culture, society and material and sensory environments…”[3] To visually experience a culture can be fascinating and rewarding. Understanding it in still pictures or movie form brings that culture to life.   “As we encounter each other, we see our diversity — of background, race, ethnicity, belief – and how we handle that diversity will have much to say about whether we will in the end be able to rise successfully to the great challenges we face today.”[4] Visual ethnography helps us see cultural differences through the eyes of one another, especially as the diversity of the world moves in our own neighborhoods and sometimes our own families.

How do we determine what media should shape our perspectives and what shouldn’t? Do signs tell us about the culture they represent? Have you ever seen signs that make you wonder about the story behind them? I recently have seen a few caution or warning signs that really made me want to find the sub-culture that they represent. I have to admit, it would simply be out of zoo-like curiosity to see them in there native habitat and watch the actions of those that needed professionally printed signs warning away from what I consider to be the obvious. I saw a sign that said, “Caution, Fire is Hot”; another said, “If the door does not open, do not enter”. Does this say something about the culture that these signs are posted in? Obviously, these signs don’t represent the whole of a people nor a culture. From a purely visual ethnographic perspective, we can get side tracked down paths that hopefully don’t represent or help us interpret a particular culture very well.  We have to choose the media that helps us bring clarity.

Rivera says, “…choose technology wisely. While a camera or other media equipment may seem to be mundane tools, … they nonetheless inform our sense of identity.”[5] Riviera criticizes Pink saying, “…there are no fixed criteria that determine which photographs are ethnographic”[6] If there is no criteria than all photos have the potential to be ethnographic. Pink states, “Therefore any photograph may have ethnographic interest, significance or meanings at a particular time or for a specific reason.”[7] I like the idea that any photo has the potential to share about a culture knowing that it doesn’t attempt to represent the whole culture but rather is a literal snapshot of a moment in the life of that culture.

A few years ago, I was in a temple taking photos of the different statues of Buddha. There was a fat Buddha, a thin Buddha, a smiling Buddha, a Buddha with money, a Buddha with kids, a bald Buddha, a Buddha with curly hair and more. What I didn’t realize, that day, was I took a course on Buddhism: a course on Chinese ethnography. Buddha is not one man; rather one becomes Buddha when they have achieved enlightenment. What I mistakenly thought were the many faces and kinds of the original Buddha, was really the many people that had been immortalized once they had achieved Buddha-ness from this temple. Those photos and memories have given me pause as I have had conversations through the years with those that sought enlightenment and peace. These snapshots of the culture allowed me to understand a piece of the giant puzzle called China and the complexity of communicating cross culturally.

[1]“Quotes about pictures” https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/pictures accessed October 26, 2017

[2] Spradley, James P. https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/183212.James_P_Spradley. accessed October 26, 2017

[3] Sarah Pink. Doing Visual Ethnography. (London: Sage Publications, 2013) Kindle Edition. 34

[4] Smith, Dan., and Bræin, Ane. The State of the World Atlas. 7th Ed., Completely Rev. and Updated. ed. (New York: Penguin, 2003).

[5] Riviera, Diana. Picture This: A Review of Doing Visual Ethnography: Images, Media, and Representation in Research by Sarah Pink, The Qualitative Report. Fort Lauderdale, Vol. 15, Iss. 4, July 2010 p. 3

[6] Ibid. 4

[7] Sarah Pink. Doing Visual Ethnography. (London: Sage Publications, 2013) Kindle Edition. 75

Greg

Greg has a wife and 3 children. He has lived and work in Asia for over 12 years. He is currently the Asia Director of Imanna Laboratories, which tests and inspects marine products seeking US Coast Guard certification. His company Is also involved in teaching and leadership development.

10 responses to “A Trip to See Buddha”

1. Greg, your post had me captivated from the first word to the last. You expressed the essence of visual ethnography beautifully and loved how you highlighted various cultural aspects of China in the process. I think this book reiterated in a profound way how pictures truly do inspire a thousand words. I’m curious about your take on the ethics of photographing people without their knowledge and consent and if China has any restrictions on what or who you can photograph? Great post once again!

• Greg says:

Jake, Thanks for the encouragement. Like any Asian city (and maybe around world) where there is event, good or bad, there is some videoing or taking pictures. Most Chinese expect that pictures and video are being taken all the time. Especially in a country that doesn’t abide by copy-write laws, the ethics of media is really a non issue.

You used the word Buddha 13 times in your post. I felt believer grief and despair for the people and culture you were describing. Did you sense the forces of evil during your visit? As Christian ethnographers, especially pastors, I believe we should use our spiritual spell-checker and the Holy Spirit’s peer-review before preaching Pink’s loose position on images. I have traveled and lived in many spiritually dark cultures and can confirm that Satan liberally uses all kinds of images to convey his anti-Christ messages for his purposes.

When I saw your “Checking Baby’s Diaper” image I immediately thought of the child abuse and pedophilia cases I investigated when I was in public safety. So, you are right, it says a lot about the sub-culture, victims, and survivors of abuse. That is probably more than you were hoping for, but hey, sometimes we must “lean” into each other for the greater good.

Watchperson Alert: Did I see your connection between Pink and your research question? Are you researching the problem with Buddhism in the 21st Century church? Finally, excellent job engaging outside authors Spradley, Smith, and Riviera to analyze and critically engage Pink’s work.

• Greg says:

Mike,

Understanding Buddhism gives me the ability to have spiritual conversations with those that have grown up in this context. Many don’t even know why they believe only that they are “hedging their bets”, meaning covering all their bases. I have been in many temples and some are very dark. When you enter you can feel the darkness, others I believe are more tourist locations. It is easy to see these places as just historical and not this country’s spiritual center as they desire it to be. Thanks for keeping me in check.

Greg, you did a great job of pointing out the value of visual ethnography, but I was actually more caught up in one of the negatives you may have inadvertently hit upon in discussing your pictures of run down churches. In my reading, I kept trying to critically analyze all of the different positions proposed by Pink. At multiple points, I saw an author very much promoting this practice, but maybe a little too lacking in her ability to be honest about potential pitfalls. Do you believe that sometimes visual ethnography can actually interfere with the message? In reaction to your lesson, you had hoped that the congregation would use the photos to connect to the scripture…but did the photos actually distract instead?

Thanks for the explanation of the many types of Buddhas. That’s a prime example of images being misunderstood. To think of our time in Capetown, I have been pondering on how the fight of apartheid looked between the two different sides. The black and colored south African viewed their struggle as a struggle against an oppressor, while the whites viewed it as a scuffle between brothers.

Without stopping to think how the other side understands or views something can build walls preventing progress and relationship.

5. Greg,

You asked, “How do we determine what media should shape our perspectives and what shouldn’t?” and then also quoted Rivera, “…choose technology wisely”.

It made me consider “screen time”. When we raised our kids, computers were just becoming common, and we would limit their screen time. I’m watching families today, and cringe when I see 2-year-olds immersed conversant on selecting YouTube videos on an iPad. All around the world, but particularly in Asia, I board trains and buses and everyone’s face is connected to their smartphone.

I wonder how can we place appropriate boundaries on this, or have we lost the battle already and are we already rewired?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/behind-online-behavior/201604/what-screen-time-can-really-do-kids-brains

Greg, I appreciated the visual ethnography throughout your post. I was laughing at the baby diaper picture (as I have a baby and have accidentally done the don’t picture before) until I read Mike’s comment on pedophilia which made me reconsider your thoughts on sub-cultures as well. This reminder checks my assumptions of what I know because what might seem silly to me is often real for others.

I especially want to quote your second paragraph. Beginning with Spradley’s quote through to the end of your thought I kept thinking, this is exactly what I think discipleship is like: humbling yourself like a child and being willing to learn. Or, as you put it, “When we approach a culture with ignorance and humility, like a true student, then and only then are we teachable.” What kind of challenges are you finding as you develop leaders where you are? And, how do you handle all of that humiliation in an honor/shame culture? Do you find much grace from to whom you look like a fool?

In your discussion on what media can shape our perspectives and the use of signs to determine what is going on in that culture, I found myself thinking back to time spent in Thailand and the strange signs around the Wats or temples. The idea of leaving money trees for a statue seemed odd to me until I learned that was how the monks were supported, it was just another form of a tithe.
    By the way, it only takes one person screwing up royally to make a sign necessary.

Thanks for this post, Greg. I was nodding my head along as you talked about showing those old church buildings during the sermon. It’s a great idea, and I can definitely see the people remembering those pictures more easily than the carefully worked out points of the sermon (ha!). Great post– this is in-depth stuff, I will keep sitting at your feet to learn!