A Return to Christendom?

The desire to retain or regain the cultural dominance once held by the Christian church in the US, specifically the white, protestant branches of the church, has been an ongoing struggle. As the mainline churches began to decline in the early 1960’s and significant shifts took place in the culture caused by a variety of factors including the Vietnam conflict, the Women’s Liberation Movement, ‘Free Love’, Technological advances, Roe vs. Wade, Postmodernism, etc. the once unquestioned cultural norms supported by the Church were unequivocally altered.  As the 70s rolled into the 80s a concerted effort was made, largely by conservative Christian factions, to reassert the ‘Christian’ cultural standards. James Davison Hunter’s book ‘To Change the World’ argues that those efforts have not only proved to be futile but that they were never going to be successful.

To understand the perspective of those trying to save the country from its precipitous moral decline it is important to understand the foundations upon which it was laid.  From the time of the alleged conversion of Constantine to Christianity and the ensuing position of power and influence gained by the Christian Church, the idea that all aspects of life in over the entire world could and should be controlled through Christian influence has prevailed.  Once this power and authority was gained it was not going to be relinquished without a fight.  Christendom can thus be defined as “The dominion or sovereignty of the Christian religion.” Thomas John Curry, Roman Catholic auxiliary bishop of Los Angeles, defined Christendom as “the system dating from the fourth century by which governments upheld and promoted Christianity.”[1] Clearly it was not all positive as it was during this period that horrific events in the name of Jesus occurred including; the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, The Great Schism and in the US residual effects in events like the Salem witch trials.  Further, one can even make a case for the racially biased Jim Crow laws stemming from a view of WASP culture as ‘normative’.  Whether one is viewing the historical period of Christianity known as Christendom or seeking to understand the culture wars that have occurred in the US since the late 1960s, it is necessary to recognize both of these phenomena as attempts to establish a theocracy in order to ensure a specific sociopolitical reality.

I have experienced consistent frustration with these culture war efforts since returning to the US after 17 years living in a very post-Christian environment in New Zealand.  When the election cycle rolled around there no-one was interested in what church a candidate attended or even if they attended at all. That eliminated the need for pretense and allowed candidates to focus on important issues rather than distractions regarding church attendance or whether or not they regularly read the Bible.  Further, church communities were not infiltrated by those seeking to gain social capital by their attendance.  None was to be had.  So those that worshiped, attended small groups, volunteered, ate at the potluck dinners etc. were all those who were for the most part genuinely seeking to know God and grow in their faith in their chosen church community.

Issues most commonly targeted by Christians, whether conservative or progressive varieties, remain largely determined along racial and class lines.  “In the early decades of the twenty-first century as in the last decades of the twentieth, Christian presence in America has been a presence primarily in, of, and for the middle class in everything that this designation means.”[2]  From my perspective the culture wars revolve around issues particularly important to the security, comfort, financial well-being, and moral values of the ‘ruling’ class and race.  While they are touted as orthodox Christian values they frequently fail to take into account the full spectrum of Christian understanding.

While I believe moral issues are important, and most would view me as a social conservative, I do not believe that the purpose of government is to allow Christians (particularly those of the WASP variety) to feel comfortable with the surrounding cultural and social environment. I believe that Christians do have a role to play in the political arena but do not support efforts to establish a tacit theocracy or push a moral agenda in the name of Christianity.  The demise of the moral fabric of society in the US has little to do with some catastrophic collapse of the Christian church.  In fact, to much of the outside Western world the US is still very Christian.  As Hunter states; “From the European view, America remains remarkably Christian, to the point of being weirdly puritanical.”[3]

I thoroughly concur with Hunter when he states; “Contemporary Christian understandings of power and politics are a very large part of what has made contemporary Christianity in America appalling, irrelevant, and ineffective—part and parcel of the worst elements of our late-modern culture today, rather than a healthy alternative to it.”[4]  The danger in seeking to ‘win’ the culture wars is that the object is cultural dominance rather than genuine connection with the creator.  “To be sure, Christianity is not, first and foremost, about establishing righteousness or creating good values or securing justice or making peace in the world. Don’t get me wrong: these are goods we should care about and pursue with great passion. But for Christians, these are all secondary to the primary good of God himself and the primary task of worshipping him and honoring him in all they do.”[5]  While we all desire that God establish the Kingdom of God we must remember that it is God’s work to do one that God alone will perform.  I believe our role should be that espoused by Hunter when he says; “By enacting shalom and seeking it on behalf of all others through the practice of faithful presence, it is possible, just possible, that they will help to make the world a little bit better.”[6]

[1] “Christendom.” Wikipedia. March 09, 2018. Accessed March 15, 2018. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christendom#End_of_Christendom.

[2] Ibid p. 89

[3] Ibid p. 79

[4] Ibid p. 95

[5] Ibid p. 285

[6] Ibid p. 286

Dan Kreiss

Former director of the Youth Ministry program at King University in Bristol, TN and Dean of the School of Missions. I have worked in youth ministry my entire life most of that time in New Zealand before becoming faculty at King. I love helping people recognize themselves as children of God and helping them engage with the world in all its diversity. I am particularly passionate about encouraging the church to reflect the diversity found in their surrounding community in regard to age, gender, ethnicity, education, economic status, etc. I am a husband, father of 4, graduate of Emmanuel Christian Seminary, an avid cyclist and fly-fisherman still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

5 responses to “A Return to Christendom?”

1. Jennifer Williamson says:

Totally agree Dan, and I can only imagine the culture shock in readjusting to the US climate after 17 years in New Zealand. It seems to me that there could be a strong link between Hunter’s work and what you are studying about millenials and the church. Are you already thinking/working/writing/researching along those lines?

Dan,
    Great perspective on coming back to the U.S. after your time in New Zealand. I will be honest, even after spending two weeks abroad it is a shock to my system when I come back, I cannot imagine the shock after 17 years. I have always hated the idea of the “culture wars” that Christian leadership has wanted to foster, war mean hurt and dominance. I am pretty sure I don’t see that as our goals as given by Christ, make disciples, that is our goal. If we were better at that I think we would be better off. It is never to be about our comfort, pretty sure Jesus did not live a comfortable life.

Great post.

Hi Dan!

Wow, what a picture you started with. I am still contemplating and working thru that one.

What a bold and amazing statement you made, “From my perspective the culture wars revolve around issues particularly important to the security, comfort, financial well-being, and moral values of the ‘ruling’ class and race. While they are touted as orthodox Christian values they frequently fail to take into account the full spectrum of Christian understanding.”

I think you nailed it! I had never thought of it that way, but you helped me broaden my thoughts. I almost pulled a brain muscle…

Dan, your post was thought provoking. I too have had a problem with the way politics uses Christianity and also the way Christianity tries to use politics. As I read your post, for some strange reason, I thought about the Devil leading Jesus up to the top of a high mountain and showing Him all the kingdoms of the world…I wonder how politics differs from that? When some candidate says “Vote for me an I will ___________” How have we not figured out that most, if not all, of the time, this is an offer to sell out? I have seen Christians that fight harder for their political party than they do for God. I have seen preacher or their wives that have come forward and repented and shown NO mercy, and yet political candidates that lie, cheat, steal, deceive, etc, and yet Christians that will back them to the grave. I just don’t get that.

“The danger in seeking to ‘win’ the culture wars is that the object is cultural dominance rather than genuine connection with the creator.” To this I say AMEN. We are focusing on the wrong things and therefore achieving the wrong things.

What a brilliant historical summary of the decline of Christianity since the 1960’s, the influence of imperialism and themes of conquest and power throughout. And you weaved that historical timeline with a balanced critical review of the book. This strikes me as critical to pay attention to: “Whether one is viewing the historical period of Christianity known as Christendom or seeking to understand the culture wars that have occurred in the US since the late 1960s, it is necessary to recognize both of these phenomena as attempts to establish a theocracy in order to ensure a specific sociopolitical reality.”