A Leader with a Heart: What a Novel Idea!

De Pree, Max. Leadership Is an Art. New York: Currency, 2004.

Summary

Though leadership is not a new topic, leadership is a more recent research topic within academic circles. One outcome of research on leadership, and in fact one that has often held up leadership research as an academic discipline, is the inability to produce a definitive, definition of leadership. This is because leadership is a complex multi-layered process—if it can even be defined as a process. It may be just one of those cultural mechanisms, like love and art, that defy definition. [1] That is why I was interested to read DePree’s, Leadership is an Art. Leadership may be more art than science.

By focusing on leadership as an art and not a science, De Pree captures the basis of some of the complex relationships that make up the leadership process. According to De Pree, leadership is about, “liberating people to do what is required of them in the most effective and humane way possible.”[2] Leadership is about relationships and the stewarding of those relationships with civility that is based on fundamental human values. [3] I find it interesting that he chooses to use words like “liberation,” “humane,” and “relationship.” At the time when De Pree first began to lead his company, these were not words often associate with leadership in successful capitalist ventures, where the bottom-line can quickly become more important to an organization than the people who help the organization move forward toward its financial goals.

One of the more insightful quotes into De Pree’s Leadership is an Art speaks of the exclusiveness of capitalism. “One of the great problems of the capitalist system during its first couple of hundred years is that it has been primarily an exclusive system. It has been built primarily around contractual relationships, and it has excluded too many people from both its process and a generally equitable distribution of results.”[4] This is not the talk of a classic capitalist; however, De Pree did grow and maintained a very successful furniture business!  De Pree brought heart to leadership, something that is sorely missing in many leadership models, even today. [5] That alone is reason to call the book valuable for any leader.

Application

I think it is important to be realistic. Not everyone who practices De Pree’s methods will be a successful chairperson and CEO or have a successful business or organization. The Art of Leadership is not a book about successful business practices as much as it is about being a successful leader. The two are not necessarily synonymous.

I am reminded of the church growth literature of the 1980’s and 1990’s. I was pastoring at that time, and I remember full well the questions I asked myself when I compared my church to the churches of those authors who wrote the literature. If you take these steps, if you do these things, recite these words, walk this way and talk this way, your church will grow. They say, “it worked for me, and it will work for you.” Well…it didn’t work for me! Was there something wrong with me? In many of these cases—and I don’t have imperial evidence to back up this statement—the only thing that grew was the author’s bank account! Because like leadership, church growth is too complex, and it too seems to defy definition.

However, De Pree is not giving the five simple steps or the ten things that make your organization grow or your business successful. He says, here is what has helped me lead this company, it may help you lead too. I frankly find that refreshing. De Pree seems to get to core principles that, in my estimation, are critical in leadership: having clear values which include the humane treatment of people, civility in our business transitions (of which labor is one), a moral compass and a heart. Not something for which the business world is known, even today.  If leadership is an art, it gives us all hope to know that, whether it is a natural gift or not, everyone can develop the leader within. It seems that more than ever we need good leaders in our family, communities, churches, organizations and businesses. Of course, I stated the title of this post “tongue and cheek.” However, I am with De Pree, these leaders will have clear values, will practice civil transactions; they will possess a moral compass and a heart.

1. Zaccaro, Stephen J., and Richard J. Klimoski. The Nature of Organizational Leadership: Understanding the Performance Imperatives Confronting Today’s Leaders. 1 ed. Pfeiffer, 2001, 5.
  2. Depree, Max. Leadership is an Art. Reprint ed. Crown Business, 2004, 1.
  3. Ibid., 12.
  4. Ibid., 64.
  5. Ibid., 135.

Jim Sabella

8 responses to “A Leader with a Heart: What a Novel Idea!”

Great reflections and summary, Jim. I think you’re spot on to recognize that he is sharing his story of how he found to be a leader in the business world, leading from his faith. While it worked for him and his company and is encouraging to us, it may not be possible to duplicate it. Still, ideas to work with.

One question I kept in mind while reading this on my trip to Israel was, “how can we as a mission board encourage and embody these ideals for the church leaders in Galilee?” I’m curious if you pocketed any of his reflections to lift out in your ministry with E.European leaders?

Yes I am with you on the church growth literature Jim, and a lot of other leadership and “success” literature. Personally, I am allergic to the “ten secrets to this” and the “seven steps to that” kind of approach. While DePree had his various lists, I appreciated his emphasis on people and on teamwork and on knowing your own limits.
    Thanks for a great post Jim.

I found DePree’s book refreshing too, Jim. It was great for our last book for this semester. We spent a lot of time thinking about the problems in American evangelicalism. Many asked at our last chat – what’s the answer?
    Well, I’m wondering if this book is at least part of the answer. What do you think – as we become more like the ‘artful picture’ in DePree’s book will we be able to start changing our corners of the world?

4. Jim, I took enjoyed this book. One because I believe in creativity and he included it in his support of leadership as an art. This book would add another entree in your research.
    Great Job.

5. “Not everyone who practices De Pree’s methods will be a successful chairperson and CEO or have a successful business or organization.”
    I agree Jim, but I do believe that leaders who practice what De Pree preaches WILL be successful in the ways that Jesus teaches success. Imagine if all church leaders adopted these principles. There would still be struggle and pain in the church, but I believe there would be fewer splits and departures.

6. Great words Jim. “…whether it is a natural gift or not, everyone can develop the leader within.” Such a great reminder to encourage everyone to develop the leader within. How would you best recommend one doing this?
    Yes, we do need stronger and healthier leaders in our families and communities. Again, I question how we can best support stronger leaders as a church? I do find the church to be more progressive than society with educating families, marriages, and individuals to be healthier in their relationships and lifestyles. I look forward to more growth and insight in this area with the church in years to come. Thank you for your insightful post.

7. Jim I agree that DePree’s view of just sharing with us what he has learned is refreshing. So many times books on leadership are trying to sell you an packaged strategy of how to mimic their approach to get the same results. In most cases, it never happens. Much of what has been written cannot be replicated due to so many confounding variables that contextually exist in leadership.

Great post Jim! 🙂

8. Jim, great post. I loved your admonition to be realistic…….which is one of the things I really love about this analogy – if you don’t follow a system, etc. it doesn’t work…. but with Art – while there are varied results and recognition – it is the doing of it that is important in a lot of ways

Thanks, Jim!