A Journal with a Christian Leadership Purpose

The Theology of Leadership Journal’s purpose is to advance Christian leadership by giving it some theological space to discuss, debate, and perhaps embrace the differences that make the difference for incarnational leadership. Since the Theology of Leadership Journal (TLJ) first published in 2018 there were few scholarly reviews found on their material. Nevertheless, the TLJ provides a new forum for advanced degree programs like George Fox University’s “Leadership and Global Perspectives” to study, research, and publish new Biblically inspired ideas and solutions to the old and continuing problem of sin in the world. This post will seek to leverage TLJ’s fresh work on Authentic Leadership Theory and the use of metaphorical language into my dissertation research on why the Evangelical church is not able to withstand the effects of spiritual warfare.

First, Holmquist’s basis for Authentic Leadership Theory (ALT) is found in his four key ideas of “self-awareness, relational transparency, balanced processing, and internalized moral perspective.”[1] I have been a student of leadership for over 30 years and have led in many different secular and ministry contexts. My favorite “go to” model is a mixture of transformational-situational-servant style leadership. My leadership training began as a follower. I followed other leaders in military, public safety, and ministry professions for many years before I accepted the calling to lead others. When I started leading others, I failed my followers, made some terrible mistakes, and sinned against the Lord in my prideful and arrogant thinking that I was somehow qualified to “lead” others.  It was not until I survived the “potter and clay” Biblical metaphor in my life that I began to be used by the Lord. I agree with ALT’s exegetical enhancement ideas on how leadership is a “responsibility that extended beyond human relationships to a leadership responsibility before God.”[2]

Second, in 2003 I determined to “own” the idea that I have a Biblical responsibility to God for fulfilling His purpose in my life. During my desolate combat experiences in the Middle East, I became passionate about Paul’s descriptions on spiritual warfare and his directive to always put on the whole armor of God.[3] This research into resisting Satan helped me discover my hallmark purpose to advance the metaphorical principle of wearing Christ as our armor of God. For the past 15 years the Holy Spirit has inspired me to mediate, mentor, and instruct others in understanding, preparing, defending, and overcoming the evil deceits, tricks, deceptions, and false ideals that assault Christians in their daily walk with the Lord.

Third, I like the TLJ because it presents ideas, talks about research, and opens the spiritual white board to possibly link the scientific with the theological and form contextually appropriate and God honoring ways to discuss Biblical teachings and principles. For example, Richardson says that “metaphor plays a primary role” in transformative communication.[4] I really connect with this line of thinking and have personally experienced the successful cross-cultural connections that can be made when describing the supernatural metaphor of Jesus Christ as the six pieces of the Armor of God. To further this community building effort the Holy Spirit inspired the creation of an artifact, the Armor of God Challenge Coin, that successfully crosses all barriers that typically create resistance to the Gospel. I have been blessed and amazed at how the Holy Spirit connects people to the metaphorical armor images of Christ, the universal words of hope to stand firm, resist, persevere, pray, and the tangible feel and look of the symbolic Armor of God coin that can be held, touched, displayed, worn, and shared with others.

Therefore, sharing Christ with others is our call, cause, and challenge to help finish the Great Commission. Yes, I am glad to have another journal that can help provide a forum that advances scholarly peer-reviewed research into theological problems like spiritual warfare in the church. While the TLJ may not answer the question, it does provide a safe place to explore, discuss, research, and solicit input into the spiritual warfare problem facing Evangelical churches today.  My goal, as an LGP8 student and future ministry leader is to help inform, prepare, and disciple others on how to identify, prepare, survive, and overcome the wiles of the devil.  Paul’s metaphor of Christ and the armor of God coin are symbols to be “experienced and engaged” by pastors and Christian leaders who desire to be relevant servants for that advance of the Gospel.[5]

Finally, the TLJ is a new scholarly workspace for seminary students and theologians to engage, challenge, test, create, and practice “Jesus style” leadership within a modern and chaotic global context. I pray the “scales” will fall from the eyes of those in Christian leadership who do not see nor recognize the ever-present threat of spiritual warfare in their midst.

[1] Daniel B. Holmquist. “Theology of Leadership Journal: Volume 1,” Theology of Leadership Journal 1, no. 1 (2018): Pg. 88., http://theologyofleadership.com/index.php/tlj

[3] Eph. 6:10-18.

[4] Woodworth, TLJ, 84.

Mike

6 responses to “A Journal with a Christian Leadership Purpose”

Mike,

You are back! I am so glad. Not sure we can make it without you…

And you connected our reading so well once again to your topic. Keep it coming. Glad you like the scholarly Journal and that it will be in your potential reading list in the future. Please hold me accountable for seeing the enemy at work opposing our blessed Savior.

Jay

Mike,

I like how quickly you utilized the stated purposes of the TLJ to connect with your own area of interest. I think the journal lends itself well to a wide range of theological pursuits exactly because it deals with leadership and this is an area of concern regardless of the discipline.

I wonder if you were called upon to write a piece for the journal what aspect of the theology of leadership would you seek to demonstrate or develop and how would that connect to your desire to help others put on the full armor of God?

3. Mike!

So glad you posted this week as this is the first I’ve heard from you this fall. I was hoping you were going to carry on with our second year and am glad you are here.

Thank you for sharing vulnerably about how your leadership has been refined through the fire of your past thirty years.

I think you might smile at my next statement. It struck me as I read your description of the AOG coin again that it reminds me of a rosary for charismatics/evangelicals. It is a tangible good that leads us into contemplation of what is true about our relationship with God. All that armour divinely bestowed on us, freely available if we would only embrace it.

Hi Mike! Welcome back! I can’t wait to catch up. You have such valuable leadership experience – in multiple capacities. I really appreciate this statement:
    “While the TLJ may not answer the question, it does provide a safe place to explore, discuss, research, and solicit input into the spiritual warfare problem facing Evangelical churches today”. Yes, yes yes! This is why I appreciate the LGP8’s so much. And I appreciate your intentional listening and thoughtful feedback.

In light of a summer of political (government) and religious (Willowcreek, Catholic priest scandal) frenzy, I am anxious to dialogue about your thoughts of spiritual warfare in our midst. See you in the morning?

5. Chris Pritchett says:

Thank you for sharing from your personal experience. Leadership has clearly been a central part of your vocation for a long time. I appreciate your humility and strength of character. The armor of God has been important in your life and you have shared it with others. Well done!

6. Dave Watermulder says:

Mike!
    I will echo what others have said, that it is good to have you back and to “hear” your voice through your writing :). I enjoyed what you wrote and I’ll look forward to connecting some more very soon.