A History Worth Knowing

In Bebbington’s book, Evangelicalism in Modern Britain, he attempts to sketch with a broad stroke, the considerable influence that the evangelical movement has had in Britain from the 1730’s to the 1980’s. It is a comprehensive history, explaining the early beginnings and then demonstrating how the movement has diverged into so many different expressions of the faith. Along the way, he traces all the major offshoots and outgrowths, such as Romanticism, Wesleyanism, the Quakers, liberal theology, and the charismatic movement. I have read many volumes that cover this material but always from an American point of view; there are nuances that Bebbington brings out that are refreshing. For example, his discussion on how Evangelicalism positively influenced the many social ills of the day in nineteenth century Britain was informative. The movement had a tremendous impact on the poor, the homeless, widows, prison ministries, and alcoholism. Evangelicalism deserves a bright spotlight for its impact on these areas of society—British and American. It is hard to argue with the good it has done in all those areas. Bebbington also spends some considerable time tracing the global missionary outreach that increased because of the impulses of the movement.

Chapter eight was the most interesting and relevant to me because it concerns the time period closer to my experience, the later part of the twentieth century. Liberalism took center stage and infiltrated every university, seminary and church. The ‘higher criticism’ that came into fashion in the later nineteenth century and early twentieth century caused splitting of churches and educational institutions. Nothing was off limits when it came to questioning the validity of scripture and the person and nature of Christ. Bebbington does an insightful job explaining the causes and effects of all this. It made me recall what Augustine said in the City of God: “But it must not be supposed that folly is as powerful as truth, just because it can, if it likes, shout louder and longer than truth.” The theological battles persisted when Neo-orthodoxy made inroads at seminaries and universities. Bebbington states, “Neo-orthodoxy nevertheless provided a context in which conservative Evangelical opinions were not dismissed out of hand” (p.619). This time period was a highly contested time for the church on both sides of the Atlantic. Christians could agree on serving the poor and needy but not on exactly what it means to have an existential encounter with Christ.

Ecumenism was discussed with well-intentioned attitudes but making headway proved to be difficult. “One of the chief developments in the world church after the Second World War was the accelerating momentum of the unity movement” (p. 620). There is an emphasis on the Church of England which I appreciated since I did not know much of this history. I grew up in the Roman Catholic tradition and I appreciated the time Bebbington spent on describing the influences of Vatican II. There was some new communication channels that opened up between Evangelicalism and Catholicism and that helped the spirit of cooperation—and the world took note.

Lastly, Bebbington does an insightful job explaining how the movement at times has affected the culture and at the same time, how the culture has affected the movement. There has been an interplay between the two and for an American looking from the outside in, he does a great job unraveling the riddle. He states about Evangelicalism: “Its outward expressions, such as its social composition and political attitudes, have frequently been transformed. Its inward principles, embracing teaching about Christian theology and behavior, have altered hardly less” (p. 636). It is a true statement and this can also be said about all of Christian history, going all the way back to Pentecost. The outward expression of the faith will look different from country to country and from generation to generation, but the essentials of the faith persist. God, creation, Jesus, the cross, repentance, faith, the Holy Spirit, fruit for the Kingdom, these things are eternal.

Troy Rappold

B.A. Communication - University of Colorado M.Div. Theology - Cincinnati Christian University Currently enrolled in D. Min. program at George Fox University

7 responses to “A History Worth Knowing”

Troy, what a comprehensive summary of the book! You mention an issue I wrote about as well – the church’s impact on culture and culture’s influence on the church. Based on your reading, do you have a sense of which one (church or culture) had more influence on the other? Also, did you get any sense that the Evangelical church spent much energy on politics during the earlier days of the movement? It seems to me that political involvement comes in more recent decades.

• mm Troy Rappold says:

Thanks Roy–The younger generation that I have spoken with do have the same essentials in their faith. They also have a hunger to understand doctrinal truth. But yes, at the same time biblical literacy is declining. If the Bible is taught insightfully though, I have found that the younger generation is eager to learn.

Troy, great summary. It sounds like you really connected with the book, which is great. I would say that I connected in a similar fashion. I too observed the “outward” expression of the faith that was made evident, and has been made evident over the centuries, but as you said, they all have been bound by the same essential truths of Scripture. I find great hope and confidence in this observation.

• mm Troy Rappold says:

Yes, I love these kinds of history books. They give such great back story of how we arrived to where we are today. We keep coming back to the great truths of the faith , don’t we? They are what captures the human hearts and stirs the soul…

3. Kayli Hillebrand says:

Troy – Your summary in the last two sentences articulates well the realities of following Christ in a world that continues to change. I’m interested to know if as you engage with younger generations you find they have similar connections and understandings to the essentials of faith that you list. Working with young college students, I have seen a steady decrease in biblical literacy over the last decade and interested to know if you have too.

• mm Troy Rappold says:

Thanks Kayli: Yes, in my conversations with the younger generation, they are so very interested in the great truths of scripture. And they don’t think that ‘doctrine’ is a negative word (rigid, unbending, unthinking) but they want to know how to rightly understand the Christian faith. These are the motivations that drove me to seminary when I was 25 and these are the motivations I see in college students today. These truths are what human hearts long for!

4. mm Denise Johnson says:

Troy, A very thorough description of the texts. I appreciate how you were able to link in Augustine. I’m interested to hear if anything from these texts connects with your ministry. Or add any perspective to your leadership moving forward.