A Challenge to Change

A survey in 2018 showed that Indonesian reading interest was ranked 62nd in the world. [1] Somehow, I was not too surprised by that survey. Honestly, I seem to be one of the people mentioned in that survey. I do not hate books, but hard for me to put reading books as my top priority, mainly academic books. Meanwhile, the internet provides everything that many people need in a fast and fascinating way. Information, pictures, photos, and videos from the internet play an essential role in forming a high barrier between myself and books.

My undergraduate and postgraduate theology education brought me tons of book reading requirements (more than 80% in languages other than Indonesian), but under certain conditions, books are still a struggle in itself for me. Reading books (mainly academics) takes up a lot of energy and thoughts because sometimes we need extra effort to grasp the main ideas. Meanwhile, my preaching hours as a pastor shape me to prefer talking rather than being silent to read books. I don’t know if this is laziness or arrogance.

However, my encounter with Adler has helped me to criticize and rethink what I have always understood and done. Adler jostled me from the start of his writing, which reminded me of who I am. Yes, I am someone who has substantial curiosity. Adler reminded me that curious people could be satisfied by reading books. [2]

Another precious lesson from Adler is humility. Through reading, the reader could have the attitude of humility to admit that the author’s knowledge is much more than the reader’s. There is a gap between readers and authors. [3] The reader is in a position that knows no more than the author. Here Adler’s thoughts break through the wall of my pride to seem to know everything. Adler’s ideas reminded me that by reading, I was at a disadvantage. At the same time, I feel reminded and motivated to increase my knowledge and understand new things offered by the authors whose books I read.

Some say experience is the best teacher. But I propose that books are the best teacher as well. Adler reminded me that having encounters and experiences with good books would further enhance my reading skills. Adler shows one of his tricks in this book. For example, classifying what kinds of books we read is an essential strategy for understanding a book. Adler taught that readers need to read headings, sub-headings, and introductions. [4] Reading books, according to Adler, makes a person a wiser person because books bring a person to realize the great and eternal truths of human life. [5] Adler’s idea opened my mind. I realized that I needed books. Therefore, I need to build a deeper relationship with books.

The advantage of reading books is improving skills and making someone wiser, even though a reader does not always have to agree with the author’s ideas. Reading inspirational books will result in enlightenment for the soul. A reader will be motivated to read, analyze and understand a book by building critical thinking on what he reads. Critical thinking helps a reader think openly, have a systematic and logical perspective, have effective communication in finding solutions, and not rush into developing arguments. [6]

Reading books is a crucial need for many people, including me. When we get used to doing it, we will manage it well and effectively. [7] Now I am challenged to prove what I wrote here. Therefore what I need is discipline. Before I change other people, I challenge myself to change first.

[1]https://countryeconomy.com/demography/literacy-rate/indonesia. Accessed January 11, 2023.

[2] Adler, Mortimer J. and Van Doren, Charles. 1972. How to Read a BookThe Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading. Rev. ed. (New York: Simon & Schuster), 3.

[3] Adler, 10.

[4] Adler, 60.

[5] Adler, 340-341

[6] Richard Paul and Linda Elder, The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking Concepts and Tools (London, UK: Rowan & Littlefield, 2020), 9.

[7] Sönke Ahrens, How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking, 2nd edition, revised and expanded edition (Hamburg, Germany: Sönke Ahrens, 2022), 117.

Dinka Utomo

Dinka Nehemia Utomo is an ordained pastor of the Protestant Church in the Western part of Indonesia (Gereja Protestan di Indonesia bagian Barat or GPIB). He has served for more than 15 years. The first five years of his ministry were in the remote area of East Kalimantan, including people from the indigenous Dayak tribe in the small villages in the middle of the forest, frequently reached using small boats down the river. For more than 15 years, Dinka has served several GPIB congregations in several cities in Indonesia. He has always had a passion for equipping Christian families, teaching and guiding them to build equal relations between husband and wife, maintaining commitment, love, and loyalty, creating a healthy and constructive Christian family atmosphere, and rejecting all forms of violence and sexual violence. Dinka's beloved wife, Verra, is also a GPIB pastor. They have two blessed children. Dinka and his wife and children love to spend quality family time, such as lunch or dinner, and vacation to exotic places.

12 responses to “A Challenge to Change”

1. mm Kim Sanford says:

I appreciate what you said about critical thinking and how it stops us from rushing to develop arguments as we read. I’ve often heard the advice, “Listen to understand, not to reply.” The same could be said about reading: “Read to understand, not to argue.” I’m pointing the finger at myself here. I’ll confess that I have read books with a system of two highlighters – green for statements I agree with and red for statements with which I disagree. I think it’s time for a new system.

• mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hello Kim!

Thank you! So glad you mention about read to understand. Probably you can mix it into your reading trick. Because I think your technique for understanding the important ideas in reading a book is excellent. I owe you.

You mention: “My preaching hours as a pastor shape me to prefer talking rather than being silent to read books. I don’t know if this is laziness or arrogance.” As a fellow preacher, let me offer one more option—maybe it’s neither laziness or arrogance, but the “sweet spot” of your gift mix, and passion and wiring we read about in “Mining for Gold” (chapter 10).

No doubt like all of us you get to grow in your critical reading skills, but I want to encourage you that as you do God will use that in your life to increase your effectiveness and impact in who He has made you to be, not replace it.

I’m looking forward to this journey with you in my peer group. I’m glad we ended up together.

3. mm Jana Dluehosh says:

Dinka, I have spent my time both as a member in your peer group and every time I see you in class and sit in awe of you and your commitment to this work as a Doctoral student in language that is not your native tongue, not to mention the time difference. Thank you for being a part of this program, for sharing yourself with us and I’ll speak for myself, for broadening my world view. May discipline find you friend and I look forward to hear your voice through these blog posts!

• mm Dinka Utomo says:

You are very welcome, Janna!
      And thank you for your patience and effort to hear me speak in our peer group. And I would like to learn from you too both in the peer group and in this blog.

4. Cathy Glei says:

Dinka, when I read your post I hear your voice, my peer group pal. Thank you for braving the challenges of language to better yourself and others. In part 1, Adler uses the analogy of catching and compares catching a ball to the art of reading. He describes the art of reading as the skill of catching every sort of communication as well as possible. My mind considered what your process might be like when you add the challenges of language translation into the mix. Reading IS hard work, but as you stated it IS a best teacher.

• mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Cathy!

Yes! The challenge already comes! It’s better to face and beat it rather than run and hide from it.
      Regarding the challenges of language translation, sometimes I need to read over and over again to understand the author’s idea. And I still need the dictionaries also (haha)..especially for some academic words. But, it is always joyful when I can understand it.

5. Jennifer Vernam says:

Thanks for this assessment. I read a concept here about humble curiosity that I appreciate because this posture has a lot of merit on its own. I am struck that we need more of that in our world. On that string of thought, then, will our studies, and process of researching be character-building activities that will have broader impact than just our degrees?

• mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hello Jennifer!
      Thank you so much for your response. Indeed! From the beginning of this study, I started to think that every element of this program was designed to shape us as the precious creation of God holistically. I believe it will bring many positive and constructive impacts to our ministry context.

6. Dinka! Dinka! Dinka! I love your self-awareness and self analysis!!! You questioned yourself about your talking possibly being laziness or arrogance when it comes to just being silent. What if you’re talking is a gift and your inexperience to be silent is just an important area to work on? Just. like all of us have key areas to work on. As you improve your silence with books, you just might improve your silence with the Lord? Or as you improve your silence with the Lord, you just might improve your silence with books? 📚
    You even said it yourself, “The advantage of reading books is improving skills and making someone wiser” You will definitely become wiser in so many ways. I wish you the best, sir! 😊

7. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Todd!
    Thanks for your comment! It means a lot. I like how you connected the improvement of silence with books resonate with silence with God and vice versa. It’s brilliant!

I wish you all the best too!
    Blessings!