Transitions Are Sometimes Difficult

William Bridges’ Transitions has continued to be an important and relevant book since its original printing over forty years ago. The book is relatable by every individual because everyone goes through multiple transitions during their lifetime. There is wisdom to be found on every page of Bridges’ bestseller.

The book is neatly divided into two parts: “The Need for Change” and “The Transition Process Itself.” Part one is more descriptive while part two is more prescriptive. The gold is found in the second part of the book: chapters five, six, and seven.

Bridges summarizes his book on page four, “The subject of this book is the difficult process of letting go of an old situation, of suffering the confusing nowhere of in-betweenness, and of launching forth again in a new situation.” In my own experience, some transitions have been easy and exciting—like going off to college or moving to Cincinnati to attend seminary. Other transitions have been confusing and utterly frustrating. This book helps show the way during the difficult experiences.

The first step to learn, says Bridges, is to recognize that, “Endings must be dealt with if we are to move on to whatever comes next in our lives” (p. 110). A new beginning starts with an ending of whatever came before. This can be seen as a kind of death and Bridges says this understanding is critical to move forward. His words are reminiscent of Jesus’ words: “The mind is a vessel that must be emptied if new wine is to be put in” (p. 122).

There is an insightful discussion of the disorientation that can take place during these periods of our lives where one chapter is over and another one has not yet started. I am in such a place right now and I read this section slowly. I still do not know what awaits me after graduation and the more time that ticks away, the more I feel myself becoming anxious. Says Bridges, “Disorientation is meaningful, but it isn’t enjoyable” (p. 126).

The book ends on a positive note and unabashedly dares the reader to dream new dreams and step out in courage and expectation. So good.

There are a few books we have read during this program that parallel themes in Bridges book. Polanyi’s, The Tacit Dimension states, “We can know more we can tell” (p. 4), while Bridges says, “And remember: you know more than you think you know!” (p. 102).

Bridges also draws heavily on mythologies and ancient tales that are also found in Joseph Campbell’s, The Hero with a Thousand Faces. It is always interesting to learn different myths that seem so different at first reading, but in truth tell the same principles about the human experience. Lastly, there was Henri Nouwen’s Discernment. The tone of Bridges book is similar to Nouwen’s—although Nouwen is more explicitly Christian. For example, Nouwen asks “Did becoming older bring me closer to Jesus?” (p. 157). Both authors have plenty of insight to share for the reader and their books complement each other. I am thankful for this book and it is eminently appropriate that this book is the last one we read before graduation. As for me, I will follow the teaching of Psalms 37:7, “Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him

Troy Rappold

B.A. Communication - University of Colorado M.Div. Theology - Cincinnati Christian University Currently enrolled in D. Min. program at George Fox University