You Decide?

In all honesty, when I first read the title, my heart sank and a bit of math phobia was reactivated.  In 1990, Ray Hembree, from Adrian College, conducted a meta-analysis of 151 studies concerning math anxiety. The study determined that math anxiety is related to poor math performance on math achievement tests and to negative attitudes concerning math. Hembree also suggests that math anxiety is directly connected with math avoidance. [1]  Legit. . . Feelings validated, right?  Or could this be a situation of the reader using the data to support their own anxiety?   
I am much more comfortable with alliteration (and all things literacy), than the deeper understandings of the three M’s (see cartoon above).  My personal anxiety with math may be a result of being raised in an era when females were less likely to be encouraged to pursue math and sciences and therefore may have affected the instruction provided in the area of math.  My parents were avid readers, my dad, a scientist, and my mom a nurse.  Not for certain the origin of my own math incompetencies (never took calculus or pre-calc; stopped with Algebra 1, 2 and Geometry), but I just know that it is not in my gift mix.  Despite my phobias around math, I enjoy reading research and find the reading of research very interesting.  In my role as an Instructional Coach, I support teachers with reviewing data so that we can get a better grasp of where our students’ needs are and how we can collaborate to support their academic growth.  So, I appreciate the authors’ reminder that numbers often represent people or things that matter to people.  Equally important is the use of statistical literacy skills and understanding our responsibility to the use of research.

In the text, a compendium of statistical literacy skills was presented for accurately reading data.  A few overarching ideas that were highlighted in my mind were:  1) the importance of understanding why numbers aren’t clear-cut, 2) why sometimes what sounds straightforward is in fact more complicated, 3) as well as understanding the nuances in statistics to make better decisions about which ones to trust, and when. [2]  With each skill, principles surfaced that led to more thought about the integrity around the interpretation of data and how it is used, especially in light of the fact that it is easy to use numbers to mislead or obscure.  Matthew 7:16 tells us that we are known by our fruit.  As an apprentice of Jesus, I want to live a life that brings glory to Him, especially as I read, process and collect research in my studies.

Numbers aren’t clear-cut . . . as mentioned earlier, numbers represent people or things that matter to people.  So while I read numbers, it is important to have a greater awareness of what the data represents and keep the bigger picture in mind.  It is easy to read a statistic and get sidetracked believing without thinking critically about what is behind the data.

Data may sound straightforward, but is more complicated. . . Digging deeper into the process of data collections and the representation of the data, helps the reader to be aware of the other side of the data.  Considering the Simpson’s Paradox, the idea of using the same data to tell diametrically opposed stories, depending on what political point a person wants to make, pointed out another moral principle around the use of data and my thoughts about honesty and integrity.  I remember this happening during Covid, when the cause of death was represented as Covid in the numbers but the actual cause of death was something else, like a heart attack/stroke, preceding Covid. The honest thing to do, when referring to the data, as shared by Chivers and Chivers, is to explain that the paradox is present. 

Understand the nuances in statistics, to make better decisions. . . When we read surprising data, we can easily become alarmed without considering all of the nuances in statistics.  Such as, what other confounding variables need to be considered?  Is this a big number?  Seeking out greater clarity around the stats, will help us make better decisions in our representation of the data.

You Decide. . . So let’s play a little game.  None of us have time for this, I know, but if you do, play along. . . I was reading through some interesting statistics online and thinking through some of what we have learned in this week’s reading.  Below are three studies linked:  1) % of Adults Who Still Sleep with An Object,  2) Most Popular Male Baby Name, 3) Adult Literacy

When you consider the data represented in each, and what we have discovered in this week’s reading, consider this question. . .  How might this data misrepresent, miscue or be misinterpreted to support a particular bias, misunderstanding, etc.?  (Things to consider. . . Statistical significance? Absolute risk shared?  Other confounding variables to consider?  Absence of a denominator?)

1. A study conducted by Sleepopolis and OnePoll reported that 34 percent of adults still sleep with a stuffed animal, blanket, or other sentimental object, according to a survey of 2,000 adults. [3]
  2. Over the past century, “Michael” has been the most popular male baby name 44 times. [4]
  3. More than 36 million U.S. adults cannot read above a third grade level.According to ProLiteracy, an organization that publishes Adult Literacy Education: The International Journal of Literacy, Language, and Numeracy in conjunction with Rutgers University, more than 36 million American adults cannot read, write, or do basic math above a third-grade level. [5]

You may want to use Chivers and Chivers statistical guide for numerically responsible journalists on page 166. Or maybe you want to consider the invitation to join the campaign: howtoreadnumbers.com. [6]

[1] Hembree, Ray. “The Nature, Effects, and Relief of Mathematics Anxiety.” Journal for Research in Mathematics Education 21, no. 1 (1990): 33–46. https://doi.org/10.2307/749455.

[2] Chivers, Tom and David Chivers, How to Read Numbers. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2021, 4.

[3] Study Finds. Third of adults still sleep with ‘comfort object’ from childhood, survey shows. June 12, 2019 Accessed:  February 5, 2023. https://studyfinds.org/third-adults-sleep-comfort-object-childhood/

[4] Social Security Administration. Top Five Names in Each of the Last 100 Years.  Accessed:  February 5, 2023. https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/top5names.html

[5] ProLiteracy. Adult Literacy Education: The International Journal of Literacy, Language, and Numeracy. Accessed:  February 5, 2023. https://proliteracy.org/Portals/0/pdf/PL_AdultLitFacts_US_flyer.pdf?ver=2016-05-06-145137-067

[6] Chivers, 171.

Cathy Glei

Cathy Glei brings more than 25 years of experience in teaching, leading and coaching. She currently is an Instructional Coach and loves to support individuals in discovering who God has made them to be, both professionally and personally. She has led a variety of professional development opportunities, trainings and workshops both in the fields of education and ministry. Cathy desires to support individuals in discovering the Creator's design and image within. Cathy and her husband, Steve, live in Michigan with their seven year old Springer, Otis. They have three adult daughters and two son-in-laws. Together, they enjoy the company of friends (both old and new) in their home, as well as cycling, camping, backpacking and hiking. They can be found hiking and enjoying the outdoors with Otis right alongside them.

12 responses to “You Decide?”

That you offered these studies and their links to look at was brilliant! (I have not yet looked at them but will probably make time to do so!)

My daughter has an IEP as she is dyslexic which of course affects all subjects of learning. She has come so far in reading over the last few years that she is now reading slightly above her fifth grade level! Whew! However, her math is still at or below grade level. Recently the school has begun conversations about getting rid of her IEP as she is not in as much need for additional instruction. I have reservations about this especially as she is headed to middle school next year. They are not concerned about her math because they feel the middle school has much support built in to their curriculum and she is on the cusp of being at grade level. I think the school is using not only numbers to evaluate my daughter but also her ability to advocate for herself and her needs.

Your blog post made me wonder about how exactly they are making the argument to do away with the IEP. I am not necessarily doubting their thoughts, just wanting to dig a little deeper into the numbers they are using to evaluate.

• Cathy Glei says:

Kally,
      What great growth!! You must be so proud of her. I understand your concerns. Moving from elementary to middle school is a big transition and I share your concern about removing the accommodations that are provided to a student in an IEP at the time of a transition like this. Have they considered a 504 plan for her? A 504 plan might be a way to insure that she still receives some supports in her IEP.

I’m intrigued about how many of us admit to some level of numbers anxiety. I’m not sure if I’ll ever be strong with numbers, but this book certainly made me more comfortable with them. Maybe that’s the point, that we aren’t as intimidated and can have the comfort level of engaging numbers in our research (and know better what we don’t know).

Thanks for this fun post. I liked the game at the end. I am shocked to learn that my name made the list 14 years in a row!

Anyway, I dug deeper into the link, and found that the headlines left out that this was a Social Security study, so I am curious about how the trends would change in we included other English speaking countries (what do they name their kids in Canada?!?), or what would happen if the study went global. Fun!

“John” – number ONE in the, wait…1920’s!?!?!

🙁

That doesn’t add up.

Math joke.

There are a few of us with “Math Trauma” in our cohort! I have always felt more comfortable with words than numbers. I have grown to appreciate numbers, but they are not my first love.
    Okay, I’ll play! Who did they survey to determine that Michael is the most popular boy name? I know three Michael’s and twenty Ethan’s and maybe thirty John’s (fifteen of them are in my family)!I am always suspicious of the claims to know “the most popular” this or “most liked” that. Just out of curiosity…what is the most popular boy name in your family or circle of influence? Is it Michael?

6. Cathy Glei says:

What determines popular is a great question. . . (first and middle names)
    My paternal grandmother – Reva Electa
    My paternal grandfather – John Irving
    My maternal grandmother – Sarah Catherine
    My maternal grandfather – Robert Lewis

Edward is a popular name in my family for boys. My dad is Curtis Edward and my brother, David Edward. There are a few other Edwards down the line too.

I remember “girls are not good at math” when I was little too. I’m sure as an education coach research and the “latest” research are a huge deal. Have you ever been part of looking at new curriculum committees? I’m sure all those meetings are full of statistics and numbers! Aahhh!

8. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Thank you for your writing, Cathy! I am intrigued by your statement that one of the significant factors for followers of Christ in conveying research data and results is to ensure that our lives bear fruit for the glory of God’s name. However, the question is, when we are surrounded by various data and research results that may be biased and driven by interests, how can we as Christians respond to this while also developing critical thinking as suggested by Chivers?