A Call to Adventure

First Stage of the Journey:  Call to Adventure

It is a scary place to be. . . the moment you leave the status quo and pursue a call to adventure.  It was March 23, 2021 for me.  I was an elementary school teacher, Kindergarten, to be exact.  School was supposed to be closed for two weeks due to a virus that had spread across our county, our nation and the world.  Daily reports of new cases, rising and lowering, daily.  Deaths everywhere.  The virus doesn’t even need to be named. The effects are fresh in our hearts and minds.  I packed up my classroom for what was to be a two week closure and brought home materials.  My precious little five year students were scared.  The world was in a panic.  Milk, bread and toilet paper was nowhere to be found.  

So we packed up our things for the two weeks, like we did for December break, fully intending to be back in school after two weeks.  I was quickly transported into the unknown.  In no way am I claiming to be a hero/heroine. However, I see so many correlations to my journey into this program through Joseph Campbell’s identification of a hero’s journey.  In Campbell’s description in chapter one of The Hero with a Thousand Faces, the hero is separated and transported from the comfort of ordinary life into the unknown, with the unknown containing both treasure and danger.

Enter Danger. . . The streets felt eerie.  Traffic seemed to cease.  We were advised to stay home, so we did. There were nine in our family living together to conserve resources and care for one another, two of our kids were in college and the dorms closed. My mother-in-law came to our home so we could care for her needs.  I remember my first journey out to the store.  It was like gearing up for surgery. . . gloves, a bandana, because there was a mask shortage and we didn’t have any at the house yet, our reusable bags, and plenty of hand sanitizer for sanitizing before and after entering the store.  Faces were covered and you could no longer see the unique smile of each person you met in a store.  Not only were faces covered, but it was like everyone didn’t have a voice either, maybe fear of contracting the virus along with the rush to get the goods and get out as fast as you can.  There was so much unknown as to how the virus was contracted with some theories adamantly proposing that the virus was airborne, one sniff and the bacterium could enter the nasal passages and get you infected.

Our place of worship even ceased to meet in our ordinary fashion, making a quick shift to online.   I was a worship leader at the time.  The sanctuary that was once filled with followers of Jesus lifting their hands and voices in praise, felt empty with just our band, tech and audio teams having a go with a new venue for gathering together.  Except it didn’t feel like together.  We even printed names of all of our families, kids, and college students and placed them all over the sanctuary to pray for them but also to imagine their presence with us.

I had never been trained to lead worship through a camera nor had I been trained to teach Kindergarten online, virtually.  In my mind, how could one do virtually anything, without the presence of humans with them.  The weeks of school looked like phone calls to my students, a shared google drive for families to access materials and interaction through daily video greetings using Seesaw.  The two weeks passed and then it was months and before we knew it the 2019-2020 school year was over.  No end of year Kindergarten celebration, no spring break, no little hands to hold or hugs to receive on the last day of school.  Instead, my student teacher and I drove from driveway to driveway making visits to my kiddos, to drop off an end of year gift on their porch, only to wave at them in the window and offer best wishes for a safe summer.

I could go on and on about this unknown containing danger.  It wasn’t that long ago and we are all too familiar with how the Covid pandemic has rocked all of our worlds.  Lost loved ones, academic struggles for our children, strained relationships, not to mention the thousands, maybe millions of followers who have left the Church and have never returned.  The pain is all too real. Here is where I enter the next stages in the hero’s journey. . .supernatural aid and crossing the threshold from the diagram above.

Second Stage of the Journey: Supernatural Aid for Crossing the Threshold. . . ( I think I am over my word limit, but if you could see the tears on my keyboard. . .) In this unknown time and space, God, always faithful and good, met me.  We had so many special times together.  I cried out to Him on the rug of my bedroom floor, many mornings my face imprinted with the carpet fibers and the carpet wet from tears.  Holy Spirit pinged a passion in my heart.  God was doing a new thing so I began to pray.  It was a passion for shepherding the hearts of others that had looked more like a side job at the time.  I heard the Lord calling me to give my life fully over to Him for His plans and purposes.  I prayed.  I questioned.  I consulted my spiritual director and my pastor (who happens to be my husband).  

At this same time, when we returned to school, I was offered a position in our district as an instructional coach, serving teachers.  I cannot begin to tell you how many times my training as an instructional coach aligned with my call to ministry.

I entered Asbury Theological Seminary and took a year of intensive classes while pursuing ordination.  I became a local ministerial candidate and am on the track for ordination.  It is also in this process that I pursued where I am with all of you today in the DLGP.   The whole process of researching programs, meeting with an advisor, applying, praying, questioning, doubting, praying and praying A LOT MORE.  My LMC team was praying for me, my spiritual advisor, my coach, my family and friends all for God’s direction and discernment.  I questioned my ability to travel alone to South Africa, London, etc.  All along the way, Supernatural Aid, Jehovah Jireh, gave strength, wisdom and guidance.  

Before I received the call of being accepted into the program, I was certain that I wouldn’t be allowed this opportunity.  I couldn’t do it, afford it and had definitely heard God incorrectly.  Supernatural signs and wonders enter here (well, everywhere).  

My stepmom called and asked me to stop by the house to pick up things that were my mom’s (my mom passed away when I was much younger). So after a bridal shower for my niece, I stopped by to pick up a box of items that had belonged to my mom.  After I had entered the door, my step mom quickly put a plastic tub in my hands.  I had not shared with my family that a part of this program involved travel.  I opened the tub and on the top of the stack of photos was my mom’s two travel brochures from her missionary journey to South Africa in 1970-71.  She was a missionary nurse for a short time in Africa.  Her two travel brochures along with the frail agenda of her trip to Capetown.  I balled.  I had specifically asked God for a sign that this was what He wanted me to do and He delivered.  He is faithful to His promises.

Third Stage:  Crossing the Threshold and the Road of Trials 

This is the scary unknown where I reside today, crossing many thresholds, even as I read our text for this week.  Can I get an “Amen”?  I am trusting the process, as I posted in an earlier blog post, and the One who made this journey possible for me.  I am incredibly grateful to have the honor and privilege to experience this journey with all of you.

Cathy Glei

Cathy Glei brings more than 25 years of experience in teaching, leading and coaching. She currently is an Instructional Coach and loves to support individuals in discovering who God has made them to be, both professionally and personally. She has led a variety of professional development opportunities, trainings and workshops both in the fields of education and ministry. Cathy desires to support individuals in discovering the Creator's design and image within. Cathy and her husband, Steve, live in Michigan with their seven year old Springer, Otis. They have three adult daughters and two son-in-laws. Together, they enjoy the company of friends (both old and new) in their home, as well as cycling, camping, backpacking and hiking. They can be found hiking and enjoying the outdoors with Otis right alongside them.

6 responses to “A Call to Adventure”

Cathy…I am in tears. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful part of your story. I am always in awe of how God sends confirmation in the most personal way. I remember praying about whether it was the right time to pursue this program. At the time that I submitted my application, I was knee deep in responsibilities. My Mom lived with us and required full-time care, it took a small, beautiful army to provide loving, quality care. I imagined that this would be our life for at least another ten years, and it was an honor to serve her. I had no idea that she would transition. My acceptance to this program came 3 days after she died. I later saw that as permission to explore this program. I prayed for confirmation that this was the right program and the right time. I know that I would not have been able to keep up with the work given the level of responsibility that I had. Confirmation come in all sorts of ways, but I believe that God always makes it personal and easy for us to interpret.

You closed with, “This is the scary unknown where I reside today, crossing many thresholds, even as I read our text for this week. Can I get an “Amen”? ”
    Amen to this. I share this feeling. I am happy to be on this journey with you.

2. Wow – thanks for sharing such an intimate look into the way you responded to that time of COVID. It’s interesting how the pandemic changed the way we look at life. Tonight, my friend was over for a visit and he was telling me his family is planning a vacation but they don’t know if they should get COVID insurance or not. The barrier being that it is so expensive. It is such a concern for them they are paralyzed in their ability to make a decision about going on vacation or not!

I think it is wonderful COVID gave you comfort in your faith and a new passion for helping others through prayer and seeking God’s guidance. What a beautiful response.

Also I think you would be a great kindy teacher.

3. Noel Liemam says:

Hi Ms. Glei,

Thank you for your sharing. One important lesson that was really brought home to my family was that importance of family relationship. I mean specifically, spending quality time with your loved ones. Once in a while on weekends, I visited my mom so I could check on her and get for her what she would be needing.

Then later, she was hospitalized with the COVID for about a month, and no one was able to visit or be at her bedside. My mom died alone at the hospital. We have a big family, but no one was allowed to be there. Looking back, I have learned that spending quality time with your loved ones is very important, priceless!

Cathy, wow, your story brought me back to our year in COVID. I actually caught it twice, once when it was first coming out, then later. I had pneumonia and was laid up for quite a while. I think the worst part was the “unknown” aspect. The randomness of it all. My 80 year neighbor said he had it with no symptoms. I figured I would get flu like symptoms and be done with it. Nope. Some people thought I was a goner.

On top of that we were selling a house in Texas and buying a house in Colorado Springs. Moving cleaning? My wife did it all while I sat in a lawn chair trying to breathe.

I almost went nuts in the recovery stage. New state, new house, no friends, no church…boy it was miserable. I wished I performed better and was more supportive, but nope.

Not only does this program keep me off the streets, but it has brought me into contact with PEOPLE. I did not realize I was such a people person. Thanks for your comments….shalom…Russ

Welp. I’m a mess now. Thanks for that Cathy! I was able to find myself intertwined with your story on so many levels. This is what makes it not only a good story, but the WAY you told it in such a way that the reader (me) feels brought along on a journey, as a participant rather than just a spectator. Good work.

Transparent Question: Have you experienced something that I have been experiencing as of late…having gone through crisis upon crisis, I feel like I’m just now dealing with a little bit of PTSD – layers of emotional responses to what we collectively went through, but couldn’t quite acknowledge in the moment because of the expectation (and even necessity) to LEAD OTHERS THROUGH IT?!?

Oh, Cathy. You are such a gifted storyteller. I am drawn to take a moment and simply reflect on how very real and present God was in the midst of so many unknowns, fearful thoughts, and tragic realities. My husband and I lost all of our parents (his mom, my mom and dad) within 13 months during the Covid season. A deep groaning in my spirit gave way to a greater calling of the Spirit to follow Him in spite of outer circumstances. He is faithful and ever-present.