Work, Rest, Repeat

There are worse places to write about deep work than sitting by the pool at a house just outside of Palm Springs, CA. Honestly, though, I struggled to concentrate this week despite finding so many things within Cal Newport’s book that could eventually be life changing for me. When I opened the book and saw words like “rules” and “strategies” I nearly set it aside for a time when I could give it better attention. Instead, I read through the book and decided to choose one or two things on which I could “marinate” throughout the week. This turned out to be a really good strategy.

I try to meditate every morning; not the kind of meditating Newport talks about, but meditation in which I give my full focus to breathing and centering prayer. This week, I chose to spend time meditating on Newton’s Rule #1: Work Deeply. Each day I focused on one or two of the strategies for this rule (Decide on your Deep Work Philosophy; Ritualize; Make Grand Gestures; Work With Others; Execute Like a Business; and Be Lazy. I wasn’t sure if this would have any effect on me, but I figured it would be worth a try. I won’t go into the details of every day, but the first two days really clarified why Newport’s ideas, rules, and strategies are important – at least for me – when it comes to surviving and flourishing in the deep work of our program.

On day one, I tried to imagine myself using the various philosophies suggested and realized that the philosophy I gravitate toward is “Rhythmic.” I like to set aside a particular time every day to work on my weekly assignment and particular days to work on research. I set my timer for one hour at a time and take a 5-minute break when the timer goes off. These are rhythms that help me stay focused.

On day two, I pictured the rituals that keep me focused – my desk, the way I organize my books, my preferred highlighters and post-it tags, the way I take notes – these signal my brain that deep work is about to happen. I have my coffee and water close by and try to minimize any distractions. I had never realized how these things help me focus and slip into the deep work necessary to do the work I do each week.

What strikes me as most amazing is the way Newton’s ideas have settled deep within as I practiced the strategy, “Be Lazy.” I have rested and relaxed more this week than I have in ages. Sunshine, warm water, and a lot of sleep have recharged my batteries and I find myself thinking creatively again, looking forward to research and writing. My husband and I are moving into a new place in a few weeks and I keep thinking about how I will set up my work space, which hours of each day I will work, how many days each week I will do research, and when I will rest. Newton doesn’t call it a Sabbath, but that’s what his “being lazy” idea is all about. It’s part of the ritual and cycle of deep work. All the rituals and strategies will only take me so far. If I don’t rest, I will wind up in a place where no deep work can happen. I’ve spent some time there recently and it is a horrible place for a creative person. If I had one criticism of Newton’s book it would be that I would like to see him put more emphasis on this rest part of the cycle. I love his ideas, but I think we emphasize strategies for work and forget to emphasize strategies for rest. Maybe that can be his next bestseller.

Kristin Hamilton

16 responses to “Work, Rest, Repeat”

1. Jim Sabella says:

Great post Kristin! Hi could hear the relaxation in your voice. I agree that there is direct spiritual application of Newport’s deep work concept. However, I didn’t consider the sabbath connection. Enjoyed your post!

2. Mary says:

Kristin, I really love the way you put the “rules” and “strategies” into immediate practice. I too am “rhythmic” but the only think I’ve done so far is make sure my 2 hour stretch of study between 9 and 11 AM isn’t interrupted.
    Thanks for the comment about the alarm clock. I will make my time better by stopping after and hour and going for a walk. You are so wise; the break will do me good.
    Great post as always; I really learn a lot from you.

• Kristin Hamilton says:

I can’t take the credit, Mary. I learned this rhythm from MaryKate in a class I had with her. This is why I love seminary. We learn from our professors and from each other!

3. Stu Cocanougher says:

Kristen, you mentioned something that I need to work on. My office is filled with clutter. There is always a piece of paper crying out for attention. I need to focus on this to be able to truly take breaks.

• Kristin Hamilton says:

Wellllllll, I didn’t say I’m not surrounded by clutter, Stu! I am an “organized chaos” worker. One time, my assistant decided to help me out by cleaning my office while I was on vacation and I burst into tears when I walked through the door. My method looks like chaos to everyone else, but I know where everything is. The trick is to move the pile you want to focus on in front of you. HAHA

4. Katy Drage Lines says:

Rest– I find that times of rest and stepping away from work, “marinating” on it, actually allows for better focus, creativity, and quality.

I remember my high school history teacher telling us to study hard for a test, but not to do any studying the day before the test, because when the brain rested it remembered better.

• Kristin Hamilton says:

You and I must have had the same history teacher, Katy, because mine told us the same thing! It feels non-productive to step away, but I am learning that it is the only way I can find clarity.

5. Jennifer Dean-Hill says:

Enjoyable, personal, and practical post, Kristin. I enjoyed picturing you resting up in Palm Springs (my home town) and enjoying the warm weather. Also helpful hearing how you implemented some of the book’s principles. Agreed! I would love to have seen him put more emphasis on how to implement creativity in deep work. It’s so key to healing (we heal in the right side of our brain which is our creative side) and producing original work. As usual, great post.

• Kristin Hamilton says:

Thank you Jen. I LOVED being in the sun and the pool. What a great place to call your home town.

I often wish that I could “push through” to creativity, but I am learning that the best work flows when I take Sabbath rest. Maybe the Creator understands the created, huh?

6. Christal Jenkins-Tanks says:

Kristin, Sabbath keeping is something I use to incorporate daily. Lately, life has been put into overdrive. I have not been able to apply the habits I had once done consistently to ensure that I had the necessary reset button to refresh my life.

I need to begin one habit at a time and will eventually get back to experiencing my daily rest and reset. 🙂

• Kristin Hamilton says:

Some seasons are so much harder than others, right Christal? Unfortunately, those seasons caught up with me and my body rebelled. Forced rest is so much worse than planned rest. I’m hoping I can learn from this!

7. Geoff Lee says:

A very enjoyable read and some great thoughts. I always find other people’s rhythms and processes really interesting and insightful. We could do worse as a group to discuss these in greater depth – how do YOU study and do deep work? We could learn a lot from each other.
    Sabbath is vital and very easy to compromise!

• Kristin Hamilton says:

I think that’s a great idea, Geoff. A discussion about how we each find the best methods for deep work would be so helpful!

8. Lynda Gittens says:

Okay Kristin, when I had a work office, I would use my desk drawers and file stands to organize as well as the top of the desk.
    I now have a couch for my credenza and chair as my desk. I have been working on setting up my office for two years. Desk still in box, room still storage. Why? Distractions. One of my friends keeps saying to me “Call 1 800 Junk.”
    I agree with Newport that organization is needed. I agree with you, know one understands your genius organization system but you.

9. Chip Stapleton says:

Kristin,
    Loved that you got some relaxation and that you have put some of these things into practice.

You are spot on, I think, with your desire to see more focus on the ‘how’ of relaxing…..
    In our family – even though we often long for ‘down time’, because of the frantic nature of our regularly [over]-scheduled lives, when we get the magic of a ‘blank calendar day’ it never seems to go well unless we plan and schedule it.
    Traci and I use to fight it and try to just have ‘do nothing’ days… but eventually we realized that we just aren’t that family.
    As I read this book, I resonated with the discussion about how hard it is to do nothing and then again with your request for more ‘strategies for rest’…. I didn’t realize that we have been trying to figure those out as a family for a while!