What is land without a man…

Map that Changed the World

I choose not to focus on war and land, it is such a sore subject. I choose instead to focus on the man that suffered so greatly to create what the book refers to as “The Map that Changed the World”. I would like to speak to the amount of resilience that he displayed as he both discovered and completed his map. Webster states that resilience is the ability to withstand or adjust to challenges. Indeed Smith endured a plethora of challenges but did not give up on his dream.

Smith in his troublesome life was able to look past the lost of most of his possessions. Smith once a married man, had to experience the emotions of losing his wife. Smith also lost financial possessions and landed behind bars due to his debt. How much punishment could one man endure and still believe in a dream. Smith proved that it was possible as he continued to work even after his work was stolen and passed of as the work of some else.

I would be willing to make the statement that although the map was said to change the world it was Smith’s resilience that made the greatest contribution. With very little knowledge of geology the direct message of the reading was challenging to follow. As I read, I could only focus on the story of this poor man. I immediately became empathetic to his story. Smith’s life reminded me of the Bible’s story of Job.

Job’s resilience

In the Bible the story of Job after all of his good work and long suffering loses everything. Each time that Job receives bad news he keeps he continues working. Job does not choose to relinquish his faith but remains steadfast in what he does. Job receives news until all of his possessions and family are gone. Even when he realized that he had nothing left Job kneeled to worship the Lord.

I indeed missed the point when reading this book. I got so lost in the theology that I missed the geology. I could not focus on the fossils that told the story because I was to focus on the man and not the land. It’s no doubt that what Smith discovered made a contribution to the changing of some of the original theories. The advocate in me was not able to over look the great resilience that Smith displayed throughout his life.

Just as God noticed Jobs faith so did the world eventually notice Smith’s work. Eventually he was coined the Father of Geology. He was able to be recognized for the great work that he had down and see the rewards his labor. Similar to Smith, Job was able to prove his faithfulness and received double for his trouble. The knowledge of both men should be encouragement to us all that even though trouble arises, even in our good works there is light at the end of the tunnel. Your work will speak for itself.

Shonell Dillon

A daughter of the KING of kings and the LORD of lords. A lover of LIFE!

3 responses to “What is land without a man…”

1. mm Becca Hald says:

Shonell, I think your focus on the man instead of the map highlights who you are. You care about people. I love what you said, “I would be willing to make the statement that although the map was said to change the world it was Smith’s resilience that made the greatest contribution.” You see, not the result of his work, but what he went through to get there. I see that in your coffee shop. It is not about the business, it is about bringing people together. Thank you for reminding us that the person is more important than the accomplishment, that God cares more about how we grow than what we do. Bless you my friend!

2. Shonell – I loved this blog because your passion for people shined all the way through. In a world that too often touts accomplishment and achievement, you focused on the hard-won resilience that Smith had to overcome. Thank you for that insight!

3. Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Shonell, Thank you so much for the message of your blog. This line from your post stood out for me and I noticed that Becca mentioned it, as well: “I would be willing to make the statement that although the map was said to change the world it was Smith’s resilience that made the greatest contribution.” I appreciate you highlighting Smith’s hard work and continued resilience throughout his life and for your focus on his actual person.