Towns, Gowns, and a Sub Four-Minute Mile

Written by: on August 31, 2023

As we approach our Fall 2023 Advance, I find myself knowing very little about our destination, Oxford.  Fortunately, there are a variety of resources available through which to learn about this region of deep history, culture, and fascinating reputation.  One such resource is The Secret History of Oxford, by Paul Sullivan.

A Summary of Sullivan

Sullivan leads his readers on a nontraditional tour of the city of Oxford, covering history, the Oxford colleges, celebrities from the area, museum highlights, and even some of the curious and unique facts about the region.[1] As he is not a native of the town, Sullivan set out to learn about his new home upon arrival and found that his journey became a series of “detours,” in which he discovered many secrets and surprises along the way.[2] Those secrets and surprises are woven into his book, providing the reader with a well-rounded introduction to the city that spurs a desire to learn more through one’s own expedition and experiences.

In reading Sullivan’s book, I was particularly interested in the following three topics: the “Town and Gown” conflicts, the changing entrance requirements to the University of Oxford over the years, and the lists of famous alumni associated with the various Oxford colleges, which also caused me to ponder the not-so-famous alumni who have passed through the various colleges.

“Town and Gown” Conflicts

According to Sullivan, the “Town versus Gown” riots, which represented “Oxford townsfolk versus university students,” were first recorded in 1209 but a well-known riot in 1355 marked a “watershed” year that increased tensions for centuries to come.[3] That conflict began in a tavern, incited by a complaint about the beer by a group of students and a priest.  The tavern owner responded aggressively, and the fight was on. “Tables went over. Fists turned into broken bottles, and then into bows and arrows, knives, and cudgels. St. Martin’s Church bell at Carfax summoned the ‘Town’ and the bell on the university church of St. Mary summoned the ‘Gown.’”[4] Sixty-two students were killed in the conflict.[5] Not until 1955, on the anniversary of the 1355 riot, were the hard feelings laid to rest in a ceremony through which the university Vice-Chancellor “gave an honorary degree to the Mayor of Oxford… and in turn, was made a Freeman at the Town Hall.”[6]

I wonder if there are still tensions of this rivalry present in Oxford.  Dr. Jason Clark mentioned an ill opinion of a pastoral colleague toward the university in recent years.[7] Could this represent the long-lived “Town and Gown” conflicts in any measure? I’m curious.

Changing Entrance Requirements Over the Years

I also found it interesting to learn that the university in Oxford has experienced periods of both decline and success throughout its history. According to Sullivan, during the early nineteenth century, the “college experience was little more than a rite (and right) of passage for rich young men.”[8] Degrees could be obtained by answering two questions: “What is the meaning of ‘Golgotha’?” and “Who founded University College?”  The answer to the second question was King Alfred and this ‘fact’ was based on legend.[9]

Sullivan writes that the university began to make strong refinements late in the nineteenth century and during the twentieth century, it “rose again to become a pre-eminent academic institution.”[10] Learning about the Oxford community struggles gives me a new appreciation for the people who have formed and continue to form the university as it strives to be an academic center ever cultivating growth and improvement.

Famous Alumni and Not-So-Famous Alumni

It is a powerful exercise to reflect on the many people who have passed through the colleges and halls of Oxford University over the centuries. Sullivan includes a list of famous alumni at the end of each of his descriptions of the forty-four colleges and halls.[11]  It is interesting to imagine C.S. Lewis, John Wesley, J.R.R. Tolkien, and many other well-known world leaders, scientists, musicians, and theologians living their everyday lives and shaping their worldviews in many of the very buildings, squares, lanes, and pubs that exist still today. These lists of famous alumni also make me think of the not-so-famous alumni who have come through the Oxford education system, bringing their own meaningful gifts, and contributing to the wealth of culture, knowledge, and rich reputation that has created the University as it stands today.

One famous alumni of Exeter College that caught my attention was Roger Bannister.[12] Bannister, while a medical student at Oxford, made it his goal to run the mile in less than four minutes, a feat that had not yet been accomplished in the world and one that most people thought humanly impossible at that time.  Training forty-five minutes a day during his lunch hour, Bannister, on a spring day in 1954, competing on the Iffley Road Track at Oxford University, ran the mile in 3:59.40.[13] The two-thousand-person crowd who had come to see the race went wild. Bannister was the first person to break the four-minute mile barrier.

For those interested in track and field, running a lap on the now aptly named Roger Bannister Track is a must. I hope to do this when I am in Oxford in honor of Roger Bannister, in recognition of the many famous alumni who have passed through this university, and in memory of the not-so-famous alumni who have contributed positively to the landscape of this longstanding institution.

Sullivan has provided me with a great introduction to Oxford from which I can now pursue various avenues of interest and topics of intrigue. I look forward to arriving in person and continuing my learning experience with my peers, faculty members, and possibly new friends made when we arrive.

[1] Paul Sullivan, The Secret History of Oxford (Cheltenham, Gloucestershire: The History Press, 2013), 5.

[2] Sullivan, 8.

[3] Sullivan, 245, 243.

[4] Sullivan, 244.

[5] Sullivan, 245.

[6] Sullivan, 245.

[7] Jason Clark in the DLDR 807 Chat, Portland Seminary, August 28, 2023.

[8] Sullivan, 43.

[9] Sullivan, 43.

[10] Sullivan, 44.

[11] Sullivan, 46-102.

[12] Sullivan, 57.

[13] 1954: Roger Bannister runs the first ever 4 MINUTE MILE, Newsreel, Classic BBC Sport, BBC Archive, https://youtu.be/Nb5AtK08gPM?si=sH3Aqcp7ShC4LOHO.

Jenny Steinbrenner Hale

11 responses to “Towns, Gowns, and a Sub Four-Minute Mile”

Hey Jenny,

Wow, reading about the Town v. Gown fight was fascinating. I was curious if a university town with the prestige as Oxford would have any tensions between students/professors and Oxford locals. And its interesting that, as you mentioned, the conflict was not laid to rest until 1955, 600 years after the fight! I wonder what 600 years of unresolved conflict does to a city. What are your thoughts?

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Hi David, Wow, that’s a great question, regarding the impact of 600 years of unresolved conflict. And, it’s interesting to think of the different ways that tension must be passed from generation to generation. And, does it just go away when a gesture of peace is made? Also, I wonder if the conflict was overemphasized in the book and perhaps people in Oxford really haven’t felt that tension? I’m definitely curious. I would think 600 years of tension would show up in big and small ways throughout all of society, including politics, education, religion, and maybe even where people choose to live? Perhaps we’ll find the answer in a couple weeks!

Hope your weekend has gone well.

Outstanding post, Jenny. I am also intrigued by the town-and-gown scuffle. I imagine the tension must of continued to gain steam over the centuries if a ceremonial “squashing” was necessary. I can’t believe people were murdered!? This was no ordinary bar fight. Oxford priests don’t mess around!

Your post was seriously great and I really enjoyed it. I hope your summer was well and I look forward to experiencing Oxford with you. I hope you get to run on Bannister’s track!

Hey Jenny,

I hope you’ve had a wonderful summer. I enjoyed reading your post. That town and gown disagreement was interesting, especially because it lasted so terribly long, and cost actual lives. Your connection to Dr. Clark’s comment from this past Monday about the pastor’s ill-opinion of the university was also brilliant.

Here’s hoping you get to run on the Bannister track!!! See you soon!

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Hi Tonette, How was your summer?

Thanks so much for your comments. The Town and Gown riots are so interesting, aren’t they? I wonder if they were as intense and long-lived as described in Sullivan’s book. It will be interesting to learn more when we arrive!

Hope your weekend is going well.

Hi Jenny
    Great post! I also enjoyed the Town v. Gown conflict. My initial reaction was that it made total sense to me. It is like the on-going disparaging of academics and the working person that we see in our current politics. Do you think a conflict like that is ever resolved? Crazy!

5. Hi Jenny,
    Thanks for writing a great post here; you explored Oxford City before we got there in person. Can’t wait for the experience as well.

Jenny,

I thought this was very interesting:

Degrees could be obtained by answering two questions: “What is the meaning of ‘Golgotha’?” and “Who founded University College?” The answer to the second question was King Alfred and this ‘fact’ was based on legend.

When I read this I remember thinking-“Oh the good ‘ol days!” Things are a bit more refined these days.

Please let me know when you are wanting to go on the Roger Banister track. Maybe I can join you? I can promise that I will not be go at a sub 4 mile speed.

7. mm Shonell Dillon says:

Jenny the name Oxford holds a lot of weight. I hope you enjoyed your trip and found answers to your questions. What was it like walking through the hall, did you feel elite?