The Hero and His Doctoral Journey

In his book Hero with a Thousand Faces, Joseph Campbell writes about how there is a monomyth or a hero’s journey motif in all of mythology. The hero’s journey is a cycle “that begins and ends in the hero’s ordinary world but the quest pasts through an unfamiliar special world[1]“. Along this journey, there are some critical points for the hero, which are status quo, call to adventure, assistance, departure, trials, approach, crisis, treasure, result, return, new life, resolution and return to status quo, but the return to status quo is not the same as the start of the status quo for the hero. If this sounds familiar at all, it is because this is how Hollywood has been telling stories such as Wizard of Oz, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Marvel movies, to name a few. We resonate with movies so much because what you see in movies are “your own hopes, dreams, and fears chasing each other around in the form of good guys and bad guys[2].” When I think about the hero’s journey and the path that the hero takes this is how I feel about my educational journey, especially right now in the doctorate program. In his book, Campbell says, “With the personifications of his destiny to guide and aid him, the hero goes forward in his adventure until he comes to the “threshold guardian” at the entrance to the zone of magnified power. Such custodians bound the world in the four directions— also up and down—standing for the limits of the hero’s present sphere, or life horizon. Beyond them is darkness, the unknown, and danger…[3]” Towards the end of my master’s program with Portland Seminary, I thought I was done with my educational journey for a brief moment. I had reached an educational milestone that only one person in my family has ever achieved. Once I graduated, I returned to my status quo but then shortly after returning, I was called to an adventure by Mario Hood, who was on the cusp of graduating from the doctorate program at the time. I almost did not answer the call. After all, it felt dark because it was unknown. Was I capable of completing a doctorate program as someone already too busy with family, ministry, and other commitments? It felt dangerous because, financially, it would put us in a place where we would no longer be economically comfortable. But after many conversations and assistance, I decided to answer the call of going on the doctorate journey. Now, if I follow the hero’s journey motif, I have not yet made it through the journey. I am currently in the process of departure and trials.

Departure

As I move along this doctoral journey, I am constantly challenged by new thoughts and ways of seeing things but encouraged to pursue new ways of thinking to see where it will take me. Departure, for me, looks more like a departure from a mental place instead of a physical place. It is bumpy, and at the beginning of the journey, it felt like a mistake. Campbell says, “A blunder—apparently the merest chance—reveals an unsuspected world, and the individual is drawn into a rela­tionship with forces that are not rightly understood. As Freud has shown, blunders are not the merest chance. They are the re­sult of suppressed desires and conflicts. They are ripples on the surface of life, produced by unsuspected springs.[4]” I don’t know precisely what continued to draw me to push on in this journey, but it was something profound in me, maybe it’s the ‘suppressed desires’ knowing there is a whole world yet for me to explore. Whatever it was, I answered and departed all that was familiar for something unknown, dangerous, and a little dark.  

Trials

Starting this journey of doctoral work has not been easy. It has come with its trials (health, financial, time, mental capacity) that need to be faced. The trials are necessary. Campbell references a quote that says, “In the vocabulary of the mystics, this is the second stage of the Way, that of the “purification of the self,[5]” These trials have helped me to purify my calling to this journey. I know I am called to this work not because of the success but because of the trials. As I continue this journey, I am fully committed to completing it to find the treasure that I can share as I return to a status quo that will be different from when I first started, just like in the movies.   

[1] Winkler, M. (n.d.). What makes a hero? – Matthew Winkler. TED. Retrieved October 22, 2022, from https://ed.ted.com/lessons/what-makes-a-hero-matthew-winkler 

[2] Soloman, P. (2013, May 11). What is the hero’s journey?: Pat Soloman at tedxrockcreekpark. YouTube. Retrieved October 22, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8XUVqjX_IA 

[3] Campbell, J. (2004). In The hero with a thousand faces (pp. 71–71). essay, Princeton University Press

[4] Campbel, J l 93-94

[5] Campbell, J 92

Daron George

- Something cool goes here -

11 responses to “The Hero and His Doctoral Journey”

1. Caleb Lu says:

Grateful we get to undertake this journey and undergo these trials together!

As a husband and father, to what degree do you feel like your family goes with you (or maybe in a sense stays behind) on this journey?

2. mm Daron George says:

Caleb, great question.

1) As a husband it is a little easier because I feel as if I am able to bring my wife along with me in the journey. I feel like she is with me every step of the way. There are things I cannot put into words like our recent experience in South Africa but for the most part it’s easy with my wife.

2) As a father it is harder. I feel like my kids are paying a heavy price during this journey. I am a very present father but since I’ve been in this doctoral program I have had to take a back seat to certain things and not be as present and my kids notice. That is what makes it hard. I feel like I am dragging them along this journey and they do not understand what’s going on. Ultimately it will be good for them to see me cross the finish line but for now it’s hard.

• Michael O'Neill says:

Great post, Daron. I am inspired by it and your humble quest to pursue greatness and your call on your life. I agree with you and can relate to both of your responses to Caleb. My wife loves to hear about the doctoral program and experience it with me. Although it definitely can be stressful (all the time) it’s exciting at the same time and sharing it with her brings us both together spiritually. It helps me lead my family and unite the two of us in our commitment to God, our marriage, our ministry, and our parenting.

I placed parenting last in that sentence intentionally. Unfortunately, echoing your second answer to Caleb, I too feel stressed with proper work/life balance. My kids are familiar with a busy life, constant distractions, and little time. I hate it but I also must also view it as a leadership opportunity. To continue to parent and show the love of Christ to them but also take them on this journey with me and my wife (and all of you). They are committed to the end-goal and family direction and there are sacrifices the accompany any great struggle or goal.

3. Kristy Newport says:

Deron,
    Thank you for sharing about your doctorate journey and unraveling details in how YOU are the hero! I thought your use of quotes was excellent in the “departure” paragraph. I typically have a mild aversion to Freud but I like this quote.
    What I enjoy about your blog: I hear your voice from the beginning to the end. It’s all YOU!
    In light of what you share about the challenge in being a father during this time (adding the doctorate to your life), I’m curious how you might incorporate them into your hero journey? You are your children hero. Much like Pixar’s Incredibles, How are your family members conquering right along side you?

It’s a Sunday. I’m praying you preach like a HERO!

• mm Daron George says:

Thanks for your prayers Kristy. To be honest, right now I do not feel like a hero when it comes to being a father at this moment. I am trying to figure it out and I am sure I will but as of right now I am not there yet.

• Kristy Newport says:

Brother Daron,
        Great job taking the spot light today!
        When I read your reply to my question, my heart was heavy. I did not want to respond right away and I was wanting to share a verse for encouragement. I put pause to this response as I did not want to quickly send a band aide verse.
        This morning when you said you love the book of Job-my ears perked up. I was eager to find a verse from Job that might encourage you. I put “Job” in BibleGateway and began reading all the verses with Job in it. This verse in James is awesome:
        James 5:10-12
        Brothers and sisters, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.
        This is my prayer for you brother. May you know the Lord in His great compassion and mercy in your parenting. Being a daddy of four is Big. May you know His mercy and compassion in Big ways!
        Thinking of you today. Have a great start to your week!
        Sister Kristy

4. mm Audrey Robinson says:

Daron,
    What keen insight to say it has been the trials versus the successes that confirm you are on the right journey.

You are committed to the call of this journey. Is there a scripture that resonates with you during this season to let you know that the Lord is equally committed to seeing you through this?

• mm Daron George says:

Audrey,

Great question! I am fascinated by the life of Job. It is my favorite book in the entire bible. The story and life of Job brings me comfort and helps me to put my life into perspective. Job 38:4 “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.” oddly enough makes me feel that the Lord is committed to seeing me through. He knows the end from the beginning, he laid the foundation of the earth. So in all of that he is more than capable of helping me through that to which he has called me.

5. mm Becca Hald says:

Daron, I love reading about your hero’s journey. It is a blessing and a joy to walk this path with you. Your comment that “trials are necessary” reminds me of a sermon my pastor preached years ago. He talked about a bio-dome experiment. In this experiment, the trees would grow, but after a certain height, they would just fall over. Scientist studied the trees to find out the cause. The trees were perfectly healthy, they just could not grow any more. What the scientists finally discovered was the lack of wind was the cause. The wind is what pushed the trees to grow deep roots. Without the wind (trials) the trees did not grow deep enough roots to sustain them. I have searched for the source of this study to no avail, but the lesson stays with me. I am grateful for the challenges and trials I have faced because they have caused me to grow my roots deep, to strengthen my faith in the Lord. In what ways have your trials cause you to grow deep roots?

• mm Daron George says:

Becca,

Good question. I believe that trials reveal who you are both your strengths and shortcomings. So during times of intense trial I usually reflect on my interactions with myself and other people to see what I can learn. This practice helps me not stay focused too long on the trial but also helps me grow deeper by addressing shortcomings that I see in myself.

6. mm Sara Lattimore says:

Daron,

Thank you for sharing your story. I wonder where fear might come into this equation. The fear of not having the financial resources or other fears… how do you overcome these fears in your decision making?