That Old Rugged Cross

The gospels portray the life of Jesus, demonstrating to society the kingdom of heaven was upon them. He was ushering in a new way of thinking about religious and political structures. The full power of the kingdom was displayed “on an ancient hill called Golgotha, just outside the old city of Jerusalem, where once stood a Roman cross with the limp body of a Jewish man.”[1] The power of man-made structures pale in comparison to the power of the kingdom with Jesus’ defeat over death and subsequent resurrection. N.T. Wright and Michael Bird’s new book put man-made power structures in their rightful place.

Honestly, this book, Jesus and the Powers, went deeper than I expected as the authors addressed different political ideologies and expressed a preference for their own. Often, Christian leaders seem timid, and I appreciated their candor and willingness to call out the false ideologies of both the far right and far left. There is not space to cover all the different topics raised in this book such as Christian Nationalism or synthesizing Jesus’ view of kingdom with the current conflict in Israel. Instead, this blog will focus on two issues raised: the political realities Jesus lived in and the idea of democratic pluralism.

Political realities of Jesus’ life

Jesus was born into an empire that boasted Pax Romana, as it claimed to be spreading peace on earth. Meanwhile, Jesus, was ushering in true peace (Luke 2) even though he lived in a marginalized community amid Roman power. Wright and Bird state, “Jesus grew up in the immediate aftermath of the failed Galilean rebellions where the physical signs and traumatic memories of Roman imperial violence, including crucifixions, were everywhere.”[2] There was a constant reminder that power structures controlled much of Jesus’ life, from the location of his birth to the location of his death. Yet, Jesus was ushering a new kingdom, a heavenly kingdom that was about to topple this earthly structure.

In an essay on Paul’s gospel Wright quips, “Jesus is the reality, Caesar the parody.”[3] In a book, Jesus and Empire, author Richard Horsley argues that terminology Paul used demonstrates how politically apt Jesus was. He writes, “By applying this key imperial language to Jesus Christ, Paul was making him into the alternative or real emperor of the world, the head of an anti-imperial international alternative society.”[4] To say that Jesus was bringing peace on earth was to say that Pax Romana was not. While Jesus was navigating the earthly power structures of temple politics and Roman Imperial rule, he was unveiling “God’s true kingdom, the true empire. It stands to all other empires, Caesar’s included.”[5] This true kingdom is a kingdom where the poor get a seat at the heavenly banquet. It is where justice and righteousness prevail. It is where the realities of the cross powerfully change people’s lives as they seek after Jesus.

Democratic Pluralism

Recently, a local pastor and I were discussing our local school system. While my kids attend the local public schools, his attend private schools and are homeschooled. There is an ongoing public discussion of which holidays our schools should recognize. He whined about how “they even want Eid to be a holiday!” I was a bit shocked at his statement as this mission’s pastor does not even have kids in the local school system. So, I challenged him by asking if we should only have Christian and secular holidays? Why should we have Christmas off and the large Islamic population in our area not have the holiday of Eid off?

I certainly do not suggest that I have all the answers for our school system, but Jesus and the Powers calls for a democratic pluralist approach to the politics of our day. “Confident Pluralism has a very simple premise, namely, that people have the right to be different, to think differently, to live differently, to worship differently, without fear of reprisal.”[6] Are we, as Christians, afraid to recognize the holiday of Eid because it makes us feel like we support Islamic beliefs? Are we afraid that if our schools have an Islamic holiday, it somehow makes us Muslim?

Allowing for a multitude of ideas and ideologies into society is certainly tough. There will be growing pains as we learn to navigate different perspectives. Opposing views means there is disagreement and that makes most people uncomfortable. However, it is in the plurality of viewpoints that Christianity can take deep root and flourish.

In a society of plurality, Christianity can stand as a stark contrast to the religions of this world. Wright and Bird state, “In an age of ascending autocracies, in a time of fear and fragmentation, amid carnage and crisis, Jesus is King, and Jesus’ kingdom remains the object of the Church’s witness and work.”[7] It is the people of God who get to work on building for the kingdom.[8] This means that the work of the kingdom-centered Christian is to point society to the cross. For it was on the cross that the kingdom demonstrated its true power over the false power structures of our day.

____________________________________________

[1] Adam Cheney, “Just Outside the City Walls,” August 28, 2024, https://blogs.georgefox.edu/dlgp/just-outside-the-city-walls/.

[2] N. T. Wright and Michael F. Bird, Jesus and the Powers: Christian Political Witness in an Age of Totalitarian Terror and Dysfunctional Democracies (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2024), 19.

[3] N.T. Wright, “Paul’s Gospel and Caesar’s Empire,” Center of Theological Inquiry, 2007, 6.

[4] Richard A. Horsley, Jesus and Empire: The Kingdom of God and the New World Disorder, Kindle (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2003). Kindle location 1720.

[5] Wright, “Paul’s Gospel and Caesar’s Empire,” 10.

[6] Wright and Bird, Jesus and the Powers, 171.

[7] Wright and Bird, xiii.

[8] Wright and Bird, 176.

Adam Cheney

I grew up in California, spent five years living along the beautiful coast of Kenya and now find myself working with refugees in the snow crusted tundra of Minnesota. My wife and I have seven children, four of whom have been adopted. I spend my time drinking lots of coffee, working in my garden, and baking sourdough bread.

11 responses to “That Old Rugged Cross”

1. mm Glyn Barrett says:

Adam, you are so well placed to write the blog above. Thank you.
    You mention the challenge of navigating different perspectives within a pluralistic society and how Christianity can thrive in such an environment. How do you see Christians practically engaging with this pluralism, especially when it comes to advocating for their own beliefs without compromising respect for other ideologies? How do we balance standing firm in our faith while also embracing the diversity that democratic pluralism entails?

• I look forward to Adam’s reply, but I’ll throw in the quote on p170…

“Christians in a pluralistic and multicultural setting need to find unity in diversity, practice hospitality as a political discipline, and build for the kingdom by contributing to the common good of all.”

This is the living out of our faith in the public square, as followers of Jesus. Rather than seeking to control society’s power structures, we live in such a way that shows what following Jesus means.

• Adam Cheney says:

Glyn and Joel,
        Joel, thanks for stealing my thunder:) Glyn, thanks for the question.
        In a pluralistic society, we are all free to worship who and how we want. This allows for cross-pollination and better understanding of our own beliefs and positions. For example,
        I will visit mosques from time to time and learn what worship and prayer is like there. I will ask questions and have learned to respect and understand my Islamic neighbors. Visiting their mosque has not made me a convert. This week, a young Muslim man has asked if he could come to my church and see what a church service is like. Hopefully, this will occur. However, it cannot occur in his home country which is theologically controlled government and it would not be possible in our country if we were not a pluralistic society.
        I trust that God, who is Truth, will highlight the validity and truthfulness of Scripture above and beyond all the other religious and cultural noise.

2. Jeff Styer says:

Adam,

Sometime it would be interesting to engage with you in a conversation regarding homeschool versus public school. But not today.

I found the comments on schools recognizing religious holidays interesting. I have previously thought that at least in Ohio, it would make more sense to have a winter break in January or February when there is typically worse weather, and schools are apt to have snow days instead of the week between Christmas and New Years. But could you imagine the outcry if schools did not take off for Christmas? Yet my question is should schools even recognize Christian holidays (Such as Christmas and Thanksgiving)?

• Adam Cheney says:

Jeff,
      Two years ago we hit -10 on Christmas Eve so it seemed cold enough for a holiday:)
      We can certainly have a discussion about schools another time but I will just state a brief position on schools.
      My wife and I both attended public and private schools growing up. We have home-schooled our kids. We have hired a private tutor for our kids we didn’t want to school anymore. We have had one kid attend boarding school. We currently have our kids in different public schools (one country school and one city school) and we have one kid starting on-line public school from home. We also have two college students at a public University and one at a private Christian University.
      My overall opinion on the matter is taken from Ecclesiastes. There is a season for all things.

3. Graham English says:

Adam, thanks for your blog. You quoted the authors, “To say that Jesus was bringing peace on earth was to say that Pax Romana was not”. What are we displacing, rejecting and denying today by saying that Jesus is Lord?

• Adam Cheney says:

Graham,
      I am going to borrow a line from a co-student in DLGP02 for this answer as I can’t say it any better. “If Jesus is King, then the USA is not. If Jesus is King, then capitalism is not. If Jesus is King, our allegiance is to him and the Kingdom he proclaims first and foremost.”

Kally Elliott, “What Will We Preach?,” DLGP Blog (blog), accessed September 5, 2024, https://blogs.georgefox.edu/dlgp/what-will-we-preach/.

4. mm Kari says:

I am curious how you respond to those who are indeed afraid that recognizing the Eid makes them look like they support Islam. What have you found helpful in your context to learn from and support others who are different (for example, Muslims) while maintaining your own personal convictions and beliefs? How do you encourage others to do the same?

• Adam Cheney says:

Kari,
      I have invited others to come along with me to visit a friend at the mosque. I have also encouraged people by asking more questions around their positions.

5. Elysse Burns says:

Hi Adam, I appreciate how you highlighted Democratic Pluralism in your post. Wright and Bird provided many good thoughts concerning the benefits of liberal democracy. After reading your last two posts and speaking over Zoom, I have found you to have a nuanced way of viewing the world. I find this encouraging, but I am sure it is not popular with everyone in your circles. I am also speaking from personal experience. What keeps you energized and motivated to bring up the importance of a plurality of viewpoints, even when met with resistance?

• Adam Cheney says:

Elysse,
      Nuanced is a great way of describing what other might describe as annoying.
      I learned a long time ago that one of my spiritual giftings is of prophet. In my 20’s I thought that this meant I needed to call out all the b.s. I saw. In my 30’s I learned that not everything needs to be addressed or spoken against.
      In my 40’s I am learning again that some things do need to be called out. Yet, not everything. I know ask myself am I the person who should call this out? Is anyone else? Is this a real conviction from God or am I just opinionated? If I call something out am I pointing people back to Jesus or just to make a point?