See me, feel me, touch me, heal me

I had watched a Julian Treasure TED talk in 2018 when I began presenting a regular workshop for an employment program in my neighbourhood. I own a marketing and communications company and have been working in this field since 1998 when I landed my first full-time job at Centennial College in their publications department. So I fancy myself a decent communicator and am fairly confident of both my strengths (great story teller) and weaknesses (often long-winded).

What I particularly appreciate about Treasure’s approach is his simplicity and clarity in communicating messages. For example, Treasure begins by identifying the four key drivers of effective communication: HAIL, an acronym for honesty, authenticity, integrity, and love. These values are essential for building trust, respect, and empathy in our relationships, whether it be with family, friends, or colleagues. Honesty means being truthful and transparent in our communication, while authenticity involves being true to ourselves and expressing our thoughts and emotions genuinely. Integrity refers to aligning our words and actions with our values, and love encompasses compassion, kindness, and care for others.

Truthfully, I’m not a big fan of acronyms. I understand why they exist and how they can be helpful but I find them hard to remember – especially when there are a few of them. I mention this because Treasure uses a handful of them and it made me wonder if perhaps it took away from the ability to “be heard.”

He introduced the RASA model as well which stands for Receive, Appreciate, Summarize, and Ask. This model provides a framework for active listening, where we receive the speaker’s message, appreciate their perspective, summarize what we have heard to ensure understanding, and ask questions to clarify any confusion.

The HAIL values that Treasure identifies – honesty, authenticity, integrity, and love – resonate with me as they are fundamental values that we should all strive to practice in our daily lives. These values can help us build trust, respect, and empathy in our relationships, which is crucial for effective communication. It is easy to see how these values can be applied in different contexts, whether it be in personal relationships or in the workplace.

I found the five exercises that Treasure suggests to be practical and straightforward, yet effective in enhancing our communication skills. The exercise of silence is particularly intriguing, as it is not something that we often prioritize in our busy lives. Taking moments of silence to reflect and rejuvenate can help us become more centered and focused, and ultimately, enhance our communication skills.

The mixer exercise is also interesting, as it encourages us to pay attention to the different sounds in our environment and practice conscious listening. This is something that is especially relevant in today’s world, where we are often distracted by the constant noise and stimulation of technology. By practicing conscious listening, we can become more attuned to our surroundings and improve our ability to listen effectively.

The RASA model is another useful tool that can help us become better listeners and speakers. By following the steps of Receive, Appreciate, Summarize, and Ask, we can ensure that we are actively listening and seeking to understand the speaker’s perspective. This can help us avoid misunderstandings and miscommunications, and ultimately, enhance the quality of our relationships.

Vocal presence is also an important aspect of communication, as it involves using our voice effectively to convey our message with clarity and impact. Focusing on our breathing, tone, and pace when speaking, as well as using body language and eye contact, can help us communicate our message effectively and confidently.

Mathieu Yuill

While raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens may be a few of Julia Andrews' favourite things, here are a few of mine: Talking to strangers, Learning about what you do for fun, Conversation over coffee. I own a marketing and communications company in Toronto, Canada called Leading With Nice. There are a lot of names I could have given the company but a trusted friend encouraged me to name it that because I really value the humanness in us all. Bah - this is starting to sound like a horrible LinkedIn post. So whatever, let's have coffee. I'd love to hear about what you do for fun!