Political Economy, Christianity and Society

Polanyi has brought many issues of life’s concern which we are still facing today even after he addressed them in the mid-1900s. It disturbs me to find out that as far asthe 1780, when the significance of poverty was realized, the stage was set for the 19th century[1] to address this issue.  I am confused when I see this happening more in Kenya. These issues are being discussed now as if they are the first time to talk about them.

As I continue reading Polanyi book which has taken me time, I connect this book very well with my research question. I have read laughing and feeling sad about many ignorant I witness in Africa. Some of these issues that were discussed are being witnessed now in most African countries. I feel sad when I see the gap between the poor and the rich increasing just because of greediness and corrupt strategy plans that robs the public its resources to one person. Polanyi quoted Hobbes who argued the need despot because men were like beasts; Townsend insisted that they were actually beasts…[2] When I look at my research question which touches on the conflict between the clergy and the laity in the Friends church in Kenya; I see some of the challenges rising from some of what Polanyi is written here. We have land but hunger is all over and poverty is growing day and night. While people are improving on the food production many communities in Africa are not even aware, they need to improve. The apparently insoluble problem of pauperism was forcing Malthus and Ricardo to endorse Townsend’s lapse into naturalism.[3]  But on the other hand, the poor will always be there whatever the case. However, as it is written, Poverty was nature surviving on society; its physical sanction was hunger. Bu all that was needed was the scientific and economical treatment of the poor.[4]

It is recorded that, in 1757, George Washington, one of the wealthiest men in America, was charged with purchasing and distributing liquor for voters in his district in an attempt to buy their votes. In the words of the columnist Molly Ivins, “They have danced with the ones who brung them.”[5]  Why is it that there are many disparities in wealth distribution in the world? Why is it that Africa continues to swim in poverty when it has many valuable natural resources? I get disturbed with what I see, and many of our churches are full of people praying and worshiping; which is a good thing but why is it becoming an expense to the well being of the people? While people are making wealth, others are very busy in churches praying. Polanyi, quotes Robert Owen who was first to recognize that the Gospel ignored the reality of society. He called this the “Individualization” of man on the part Christianity and appeared to believe that only in cooperative commonwealth could “all that is truly valuable in Christianity” cease to be separated from man. Owen recognized that the freedom we gained through the teachings of Jesus Christ was inapplicable to a complex society.[6] Is this where the problems facing Africa emanating from? Or is it in the context of Polanyi saying that “No society built on other foundations is said to deserve to be called free.”[7]

[1] (Polanyi 1957) pg 116

[2] (Polanyi 1957) pg 119

[3] (Polanyi 1957) pg 120

[4] (Polanyi 1957) pg 122

[5] (Churck Collins and Felice Yeskel 2005) pg 68

[6] (Polanyi 1957) pg 267

[7] (Polanyi 1957) pg 264

John Muhanji

I am the Director Africa Ministries Office of Friends United Meeting. I coordinate all Quaker activities and programs in the Quaker churches and school mostly in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. The focus of my work is more on leadership development and church planting in the region especially in Tanzania.. Am married with three children all grown up now. I love playing golf as my exercise hobby. I also love reading.

One response to “Political Economy, Christianity and Society”

1. Digby Wilkinson says:

Hi there John. It was interesting reading your post from such a different context. I have a number of friends who have been missionaries or aid workers in various parts of Africa, India and the Middle East. All tell a similar story of the incompatibility of Western Political models in what has long been a tribal world. Likewise, the economic theories of Marx, Keynes and Smith were all premised on a colonising and Judeo-Christian worldview. I wonder if the great challenge for Africa is not so much making western economics work, but finding a very new way of harnessing economic theory that capitalises of tribal relationships. It’s no easy task. I do not agree with Owen’s conception that Christianity is not social, in fact, it’s quite the opposite. Certainly, individual sovereignty is central in the gospel story, but individuals together make the church community – individual and community are essential to society. That’s a topic of discussion in its own right.