Money Money Money

“Evangelicalism in Modern Britain” is a seminal work (Bebbington quadrilateral anyone?) by British historian David Bebbington, which explores the evolution of Evangelicalism as a religious and cultural force in modern Britain. Bebbington argues that Evangelicalism has played a significant role in shaping British society, especially in the 19th and 20th centuries, and continues to influence contemporary British culture and politics. The book provides a comprehensive overview of the history of Evangelicalism in Britain, starting from the 17th century and continuing through to the present day. Bebbington examines Evangelicalism’s theological, social, and political dimensions and how they have changed over time.

He also provides a nuanced analysis of the various groups and movements that have emerged within the Evangelical tradition, including Methodism, the Clapham Sect, and the more recent Charismatic and Pentecostal movements. I have never come across the Clapham Sect before, but Bebbington seems to have written in favorable terms about the Clapham Sect. At least from this book, Bebbington expresses a high regard for the evangelical movement in the following comment: “Stirring the elite in Church and State to care for the poor may have had the effect of reinforcing the social order, but its primary purpose was to ensure that the privileged took a humane interest in the welfare, secular and spiritual needs of those committed to their charge.[1]

I find one of the strengths of Bebbington’s book is its use of primary source material, including personal letters and diaries, to bring to life the experiences of Evangelical Christians in Britain. Bebbington also draws on a wide range of secondary sources, including academic works, newspaper articles, and biographies, to provide a well-rounded and informed analysis of Evangelicalism’s impact on British society.

Bebbington also examines the relationship between Evangelicalism and other religious and secular movements, including the rise of secularism, the growth of the British labor movement, and the impact of colonialism and empire on Evangelicalism in Britain. Throughout the book, Bebbington provides a balanced and nuanced analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of Evangelicalism and its impact on British society.

The book examines the relationship between Evangelicalism and various social, cultural, and political movements, including capitalism. Bebbington discusses how Evangelicalism interacted with and was influenced by the economic and political systems of the time, including the rise of industrial capitalism in Britain. This is very interesting for a myriad of reasons, but one particular reason has been bothering me for some time. I am wrestling with it because I am honestly not sure if it is a bad thing or maybe just neutral for me.

The problem that bothers me is the idea of bringing people into the “fold” to increase giving (capital). Capitalism is very much a cultural thing. So before I continue, I would like to use Dr. Clark’s definition that he gets from Nicholas Townsend found in his thesis Evangelicalism and Capitalism: A Reparative Account and Diagnosis of Pathogeneses in the Relationship, in it Dr. Clark defines capitalism by quoting Townsend saying, “the meaning of capitalism is given precisely by reference to capital, the financial resources invested in a business and the assets they purchase. In that strict or literal sense, ‘capitalism’ names a form of business in which the objective of making return on capital overrides others and so determines what the business does.[2]” This stood out to me because, from my limited understanding, this is a very western cultural thing. And it shows itself within the western church. As a non-denominational church leader, you will often hear from other leaders about the need to bring in more people because more people bring in money (capital) and more money means we can do more for the kingdom. I can understand where they are coming from, I have served in it for a very long time. Where I struggle is I am not sure if this is a healthy mindset or not but I do need to keep at the front of my mind that it is cultural. In the book Ministering Cross-Culturally authors Lingenfelter and Mayers have this to say about culture, “Culture is the anthropologist’s label for the sum of the distinctive characteristics of a people’s way of life. All human behavior occurs within particular cultures, within socially defined contexts. For example, in America, worship occurs in a specific context with distinctive characteristics.[3]” Maybe this is just one of our distinctive characteristics.

[1] Bebbington, David W. Essay. In Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A History from the 1730s to the 1980s, 71–71. London: Routledge, 2005.

[2] Jason Paul Clark, “Evangelicalism and Capitalism: A Reparative Account and Diagnosis of Pathogeneses in the Relationship” (2018). Faculty Publications – Portland Seminary. 132. https://digitalcommons.georgefox.edu/gfes/132, 51.

[3] Lingenfelter, Sherwood G., and Marvin K. Mayers. Essay. In Ministering Cross-Culturally: A Model for Effective Personal Relationships, 5–5. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, a division of Baker Publishing Group, 2016.

Daron George

- Something cool goes here -

7 responses to “Money Money Money”

1. Daron – I like the title to your post “Money, Money, Money”. Thanks for sharing “Maybe this is just one of our distinctive characteristics.” Like you, I do struggle so much with this money thing! I know an overseer who announced that any elder or minister not paying their tithe with consistency must be dismissed from the ministry. My respect for him was severely affected even thought I was not brave enough to tell him!

2. mm Audrey Robinson says:

Daron,
    Good insights into Bebbington’s work and the facts that he did use first-hand accounts. Also pulling in the definition of capitalism juxtaposed with the cultural nuances of churches in the west.

Having served for a long time, where do you think the focus of bringing more people in and raising money is leading us?

3. mm Chad McSwain says:

Hi Daron
    Great observation and question, “Maybe this [capitalism] is just one of our distinctive characteristics.” My initial reaction is that would be a sad reality, but if we consider it just may be a fundamental characteristic. Our orientation to money may be central to our understanding of the world, therefore it should be in how we understand the Gospel. Yet, I do wonder how healthy a premise it is to understand the work of the church as units of giving. Even a business, which can operate more openly with that perspective, must see customers in terms of relationships to be successful in the long run. As I thought about your observation I wondered, “can I imagine how the church would operate if we didn’t need money?” I’m not sure I can.

4. Daron – Thank you for this thoughtful recap of Bebbington’s work. I too, struggle with how (or if) we can balance capitalism with faith. For example, I would love to focus my career on faith-based coaching, but there’s always some part of me that holds back due to the idea of making money from people’s spiritual development. It’s a quandry, indeed!

5. Michael O'Neill says:

Great post. I think many of us struggle with this subject. Defining that line between faith and capitalism. Growth and greed. Saving lives and saving jobs. We need to check our hearts because the line may be a moving target for many of us. Thank you!

6. mm David Beavis says:

Daron,

Your post made me think of a quote from JD Greer in a workshop he led that I sat in on a few years ago. In this workshop, he said that in a Western, American, Capitalist church culture of measuring the three Bs (building, budget, and butts in seats), he and the church he leads decided to not measure their “seating capacity, but rather their sending capacity.” Capitalism is not a good thing, nor an evil thing, as with technology, or other socio-economic systems such as socialism. Rather, it is the corruption of the human heart that causes these morally ambiguous systems to become nefarious. But maybe there are ways to work within, and redeem these systems. Thank you for your insights Daron!

7. mm Becca Hald says:

Daron, thank you for your thoughts and insight. You wrote, “The problem that bothers me is the idea of bringing people into the “fold” to increase giving (capital).” How sad is it that so many churches have reached this level despite what Jesus said about God and money? I wonder how we can be instruments of change in our areas of ministry.