Listening Beyond Sight: Navigating the Symphony of Leadership

Introduction:

“The Sound of Leadership: Kingdom Notes to Fine Tune Your Life and Influence” by Jules Glazner, former Dean of the Seminary at George Fox University[1] and former university president at Tabor College[2], offers invaluable insights on leadership. Glazner aims to guide readers towards becoming “Kingdom-minded” leaders by tuning into the distinct notes on the sound of leadership scale: “listen, see, learn, do, and love[3].” More than achieving personal or professional feats, his perspective on leadership emphasizes a vision potent enough to rally others towards a more significant mission or purpose.

Bridging to The Leadership Challenge:

In dissecting Glazner’s philosophical approach, we find that leadership is much more layered than it appears on the surface. While one might initially think it is about mastering a set of skills or notes, it is about orchestrating an entire symphony of actions, influences, and motivations. Like in music, where understanding the intricacies and interplay of every note creates a harmonious piece, leadership requires a holistic grasp of its elements. This perspective brings to mind the importance of recognizing not only the individual “notes” but the overarching “melody” of leadership. Amusingly, this sums up my depth of musical knowledge, yet it beautifully segues into the essence of ‘The Leadership Challenge.’

The Leadership Challenge:

As I delved into Glazner’s insights, certain moments resonated deeply. One instance that I have been considering this week involves a conversation between Glazner and Len Sweet about a seemingly inconspicuous tree stump. When Glazner questioned the decision to build a deck around this seemingly barren stump, Len’s insight (which is typical for Len) comparing the stump’s vibrancy to a nearby flourishing tree was illuminating. This realization prompted Glazner’s reflection: “My eyes had deceived me[4].” This idea of being misled by sight, perhaps because I haven’t paused long enough to listen genuinely, often resonates with my experiences. In the hustle to achieve, I sometimes overlook the essence of attentive listening.

The Deception of the Eyes

Pastor Ken Shigematsu, in his book “God In My Everything,” aptly mentions, “We need not just rest but a certain quality of rest: deep inner rest, rest from the inner murmur that says we are defined by what we do, what we have, or by what others think of us.[5] ” In today’s age, with a continuous flood of information from various sources, it is easy to fall prey to visual illusions. I have occasionally fallen into the trap of thinking that brief interactions with social media or articles offer a complete picture. Ironically, the rush I feel to accomplish tasks leaves me feeling there’s no time to rest or genuinely listen, making me more susceptible to these visual misjudgments.

So What

Building on this, Glazner emphasizes the significance of “silence” or intentional slowing down in leadership. He recounts a moment early in his tenure as the President of Tabor College when seeking guidance on effective leadership from Dr. Willard. The advice was profound yet simple: “Ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life.[6]” This wisdom suggests that as leadership challenges mount and decisions grow more intricate, finding clarity might just lie in taking a moment to pause, ensuring we are genuinely attuned to the sound of leadership.

(all of these musical references, the very little I know, make me feel like I’m telling one big dad joke. I don’t do those well.)

[1] https://www.linkedin.com/in/jules-glanzer-b9b2b9a

[2] https://www.linkedin.com/in/jules-glanzer-b9b2b9a

[3] Jules Glanzer, The Sound of Leadership: Kingdom Notes to Fine Tune Your Life and Influence, 2023, Plano: InvitePress, p.37

[4] Ibid. p.40

[5] Shigematsu, K. (2013). God in my everything: How an ancient rhythm helps busy people enjoy god. Zondervan, p.40

[6] Jules Glanzer, The Sound of Leadership: Kingdom Notes to Fine Tune Your Life and Influence, 2023, Plano: InvitePress, p.199

Daron George

- Something cool goes here -

5 responses to “Listening Beyond Sight: Navigating the Symphony of Leadership”

1. mm David Beavis says:

Yes! It is critical to take moments to pause as leaders, which seems counterintuitive since we are by nature “doers.” But pausing, leaning into silence, and “ruthlessly eliminating hurry from our lives” is vital for leadership sustainability and critical decision-making. Do you have a rhythm for daily spending time in silence, Daron?

2. mm Becca Hald says:

Great post Daron. You wrote,

“This idea of being misled by sight, perhaps because I haven’t paused long enough to listen genuinely, often resonates with my experiences.”

How we perceive the world is something I think about often. My eyesight is horrible – I can barely even see the “Big E” on the eye chart without glasses or contacts. I remember I put on glasses for the first time. I walked outside and was amazed that the trees had leaves. I had never noticed it before because I could not see the individual leaves on a tree. I wonder what we miss out on because we do not have the sight to see. What might we better understand if we had the right “glasses?”

• mm Daron George says:

Becca,

Your question nudges me to consider what ‘corrective lenses’ we might need to see the world more clearly. Is it empathy, education, or perhaps a dose of humility that would bring the world into sharper focus? What if we all sought to find the right ‘glasses’, wouldn’t that change the way we listen, learn, and lead?

3. mm Chad McSwain says:

Daron,

I also connected with the question about the tree stump at Len Sweet’s home. You mention silence, but do you have other practices that help you to notice? I am often surprised by what I don’t notice all around me. I need those tree stump moment’s to remind me to slow down and see what is all around me.