Jesus Loves Me: More than Song Lyrics

Pens tapped and kept time with the endless mantra of the ticking clock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. The white walls closed in and the professor stood at full height above the class. “What is your theology?” He waited expectantly – peering into their soul and past their façade. They held their breath and grasped onto their shallow belief – plucking out thoughts and rote answers to appease his curiosity. His question was not one of emotive reaction, but of evidential conviction. It required one to search their soul and separate the traditional from the theological. One hand raised – trembling in the midst of their uncertainty. “Jesus loves me.” They claimed. The professor fumbled in response. The student stood and continued his explanation, “One’s concept of God determines one’s understand of self. Your identity. Your belief. Your purpose. All of these are conditional on one’s understanding of the Trinity. This requires us to delve into the questions that reach past tradition and find a conviction that is based on truth. This requires us to think theologically.”

Jesus loves me. These three powerful words are not a mantra for the weak or complacent. They speak of allegiance born out of ardent study. These words are a statement of our perception of the Godhead and our reaction to salvation. Tony Jones, author and professional theologian, presents his thoughts on the theological perspectives of Penal Substitutionary Atonement vs. Christus Victor. He states, “Jesus repeatedly taught that he and the Father are one, that the best way to know and understand the Father is by knowing and understanding the Son. And the main message of both the Father and Son is that they love us and want to be united with us.”[1] His theological perspective is colored by his perception of unification within the Trinity. If Jesus is a picture of the Father, then there must be a unifying objective by the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in regards to the crucifixion. Tony Jones seeks to be reflective in his findings. He converses back-and-forth with various texts – weighing their validity and comparing them to his understanding of God’s character in relation to self, community and society.

Christian Theology expands one’s view beyond personal interpretation and measures belief in light of reason, logic and context. Grenz asks us to consider a few questions when seeking out theological conviction. When evaluating beliefs, he asks each individual to consider, “Are they consistent? Is there wholeness – an integrity – to what I believe and how I live my life?”[2] If God is ___, then what? Theology is simply the reaction of one’s intellect grappling with the awe and splendor of God. It is an individual whose consumed and compelled by the heart of one’s Creator. “Christian theology is faith seeking understanding.”[3] When we become challenged to tackle the questions of God’s goodness, purpose, presence, sovereignty and grace, we practice Christian Theology – we practice the pursuit of seeking Christ.

Jeremiah 29:13 challenges us to seek our Creator – to pursue Christ with our heart and mind. Scripture promises, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Do we want to find God? Do we want to hear from heaven? Many of us stand firm in Folk Theology, because we don’t want to stand before our Father God. Grenz challenges us and suggests, “Good theology always moves from the head to the heart and finally to the hand.”[4] Christian Theology is always expressed through hands and feet. It reveals what captures our attention and captivates our affection. If God is our pursuit, then we must delve into the doubts and questions that decorate our own hearts. We must seek Him and be willing to find Him.

[1] Tony Jones, Did God Kill Jesus? Searching for Love in History’s Most Famous Execution (New York, NY: HarperOne, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, 2015), 9.

[2] Stanley J. Grenz and Roger E. Olson, Who Needs Theology? An Invitation to the Study of God (Downers Grove, Ill., USA: InterVarsity Press, 1996), 26.

[3] Stanley J. Grenz and Roger E. Olson, Who Needs Theology? An Invitation to the Study of God (Downers Grove, Ill., USA: InterVarsity Press, 1996), 24.

[4] Stanley J. Grenz and Roger E. Olson, Who Needs Theology? An Invitation to the Study of God (Downers Grove, Ill., USA: InterVarsity Press, 1996), 46.

Colleen Batchelder

I speak at conferences, churches, companies and colleges on intergenerational communication, marketing, branding your vision and living authentically in a ‘filtered’ world. My talks are customized to venue needs and audience interests. My passion is to speak with organizations and bridge the intergenerational gap. I consult with companies, individuals, churches and nonprofit organizations and help them create teams that function from a place of communication that bridges the generational gap. I’m also the Founder and President of LOUD Summit – a young adult organization that presents workshops, seminars and summits that encourage, empower and equip millennials to live out their destiny and walk in their purpose. When I’m not studying for my DMin in Leadership and Global Perspectives at Portland Seminary, you can find me enjoying a nice Chai Latte, exploring NYC or traveling to a new and exotic destination.

6 responses to “Jesus Loves Me: More than Song Lyrics”

1. Love it! So creative and wonderful! Thanks!
    You end with saying that we must be willing to seek and find God. For me, it is sometimes really difficult to find God in certain things. On the cross, even Jesus seems to cry out wondering where God went. This book reminded me that my theology helps during those times when I can’t seem to quite find God. Whether it is a time of doubt, or just a tough or “dry” week, month, or year, being reminded that Jesus is my friend can go a long way.
    Would love to hear more about T. Jones’ thoughts too.

• Thank you, Aaron! I really enjoyed this week’s assignment. I’m like a kid in a candy store when it comes to Theology. You make a good point. Theology offers us the searchlight to find God. It’s the journey that leads us to our goal. Grenz suggests, “Good theology is one vehicle whereby believers can love God with their minds” (Grenz, 48). How many times does theology gives us hope in the midst of doubt? It’s the journey that captivates our mind and keeps us walking – even in the darkness at times.

Colleen you surprised me: a pleasant surprise. I didn’t reflect on your blog title before I jumped to the conclusion that you were going to compare GOOD theology to the folk theology that might be found in popular Christian music.

Your story of the student quoting “Jesus love me” captures the potential for the deepest of theologies being expressed in those three words. And of course those three words can send us into significant theological reflection.

I’m sure you’ve heard the story of the question posed to Karl Barth, asking him something about summarizing all of his theology. Barth is reported to have said, “Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so.”

• Thank you, Marc! I remember Grenz discussing how “Folk theology is often intensely experiential and pragmatic – that is, the criteria of true belief are feelings and results” (Grenz, 27). The problem with simplistic theology, is its reliance on emotional reaction and its blind acceptance. Many make the complaint that theology is shaking the foundation of many Christians; however, I would suggest that theology is exposing the lack of foundation of many Christians. Folk Theology indoctrinates and leaves others without the ability to question, doubt or pose various ideas. Grenz stated, “…theology may look as if it is destroying belief, but in reality it is examining and testing Christian beliefs and teachings to find out if they are consistent with good spiritual health. The litmus test is Jesus Christ and the biblical message that centers around him” (Grenz, 59). When we understand and act on those three words, we live out a theology that cannot be shaken.

Thank you for the story on Barth. I hadn’t heard if it before. It’s amazing how something so simple can carry so much weight. Barth saw the love of Christ as more than a melody. He saw it as a message.

3. Aaron Cole says:

Colleen,

Great Blog, as usual! I really liked your statement/quote: “Christian Theology is always expressed through hands and feet. It reveals what captures our attention and captivates our affection.” How have you seen this played out in your life and/or ministry?

Blessings,
    Aaron

4. Thank you, Aaron!

It’s funny. We usually equate good theology with praxis, but the author suggests that belief dictates actions, regardless if it’s right or wrong. It’s amazing how our mind truly controls our hands and feet. As I read through this week’s assignment, I couldn’t help but think of Proverbs 4:23, which states, “Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.” Guarding our heart starts with the decision to guard our mind. Our emotions and our actions are all tied to the thoughts that occur within our mind.

I’ve spoken with so many people who struggle to keep their thoughts captive. I’ve seen many of them struggle with sexual purity, because they’ve struggled to take every thought captive.

I’ve come to find that most singles do not struggle with purity; they struggle with identity. They don’t understand who they are in light of Christian theology, so they seek out secular philosophy. Grenz suggested, “The goal of theology is to help us be the believing people of God in the world today. We are not just any people. “(Grenz, 94). Good theology changes us and reminds us that we are not just people, but we are God’s people and purposed to look like Christ.

Whenever I discuss the topic of sexual boundaries, I always start with the mind. I ask them what choices they’re making in their thoughts before making them with their hands and feet. They can quote scripture and pretend like the temptations don’t exists, but until they’re willing to conquer their mind, they can’t move forward in taking steps towards physical boundaries. I find that Christian theology enables them see their identity. The seek the full picture of Christ and react in worship. They’re understanding of God, enables them to stand firm and stand faithful.