It’s Just My Brain!

Dr. David Rock kindly reminds his readers that our brains have performance limitations. He writes, “As you learn more about your brain, you begin to see that many of your foibles and mistakes come down to the way your brain is built.” [1] In Rock’s Your Brain at Work, he explains the mechanics and purpose of the brain’s prefrontal cortex in decision-making processes and solving problems. Although important, the prefrontal cortex is limited. [2] Rock describes the prefrontal cortex as a “small stage” in a small theater. We can simultaneously handle only a few actors on the small stage (e.g., all the information that comes at us). Rock states, “The reason is similar to the explanation of why the stage is small: each process uses incredible amounts of energy and many of the same circuits, so it’s easy for competition for circuits to occur. It’s like using a calculator: you can’t multiply and divide two numbers at the same time.” [3] Meanwhile, Kahneman writes, “The often-used phrase ‘pay attention’ is apt: you dispose of a limited budget of attention that you can allocate to activities, and if you try to go beyond your budget, you will fail.” [4] Ultimately, we are limited to the number of activities we can do simultaneously. This can cause frustration with our limitations and the mistakes we make. However, Rock encourages readers to give themselves a break. It is just our brain.

My original idea for a blog post was to write something encouraging on Rock’s thoughts concerning reappraisal and how reframing has improved my life when navigating difficult situations. However, my ideas for encouraging words were abruptly halted on Friday morning. The morning did not seem any different than others, except that I had overslept. Unfortunately, I did not know that roughly 20 minutes before I woke up, a man had broken into the house and, upon hearing noises upstairs, had hidden under the bed in the guest bedroom. In the end, the man was arrested, and I was safe. I do not know what will happen with him now. I share this story as a catharsis, but I also confess that my ability to make clear decisions on Friday (and currently) has been severely affected. The stress-inducing experience exhausted my prefrontal cortex. I had gone limbic. Rock explains, “The limbic system fires up far more intensely when it perceives a danger compared to when it senses a reward.” [5] He continues, “When overly aroused by real or imagined dangers (or the rarer strong rewards), the limbic system impairs your brain functioning in a number of significant ways.” [6] This was evident during the morning of the break-in. Rock gives an example of how the brain of a Harvard MBA student can be turned into that of an eight-year-old when forced to do more than two things at once. [7] I experienced firsthand the limitations Rock discusses in the text. I could not manage all that was happening.

Although our brains have performance limitations, Rock outlines ways to navigate situations that normally send us into a limbic state. He further describes the importance of agency in uncertainty. We can use tools to gain a sense of control over the uncertainty. Ultimately, we do not need to stay stuck in the feelings of being “out of control.” Eve Poole writes concerning evocative stimuli, “You can train emotional regulation first by controlling attention to emotionally evocative stimuli, then by cognitively changing their meaning.” [8] A type of cognitive change is reappraisal or reframing. Rock states, “Over and over, scientists see that the perception of control over a stressor alters the stressor’s impact.” [9] However, one way to gain back a sense of control is to reappraise or reframe a situation. Rock’s reappraisal recommendation resonates with me, as I have been mulling over the happenings of Friday’s break-in. Additionally, I am considering Rock’s warning that reappraisal in the wrong direction can alter a perspective for the worse. This can have harmful effects. Overall, Rock’s Your Brain at Work came at a perfect time for the difficult situation I am facing. When faced with many stressors over a short period, I will naturally experience performance limitations, but “it’s just my brain!”

[1] David Rock, Your Brain at Work, Revised and Updated: Strategies for Overcoming Distraction, Regaining Focus, and Working Smarter All Day Long (p. 135). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

[2] David Rock. Your Brain at Work, (p. 34). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

[3] David Rock. Your Brain at Work, (p. 107). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

[4] Daniel Kahneman, Thinking, Fast and Slow (p. 23). Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Kindle Edition.

[5] David Rock, Your Brain at Work, (p. 107). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

[6] David Rock, Your Brain at Work, (p. 107). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

[8] Eve Poole, Leadersmithing: Revealing the Trade Secrets of Leadership (p. 81). Bloomsbury Publishing. Kindle Edition.

[9] David Rock, Your Brain at Work, (p. 107). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

Elysse Burns

13 responses to “It’s Just My Brain!”

1. Julie O'Hara says:

Elysse – I am so sorry for what you experienced. It sounds terrifying. Thank you for your post. I really appreciate the Poole connection and reminder about training oneself for emotional regulation. I must ask the probably obvious question. As you have considered the intruder, have you found a reappraisal to minimize the harm from the event…or even to get any bit of so-called silver lining?

• Elysse Burns says:

Hi Julie, I saw God’s protection in all the moving pieces. The silver lining is I do not have to be paralyzed with fear. There are things I can do to make my house more secure. I have a support team around me who are making sure I am cared for. This situation gives me a more profound empathy for the people in this country who experience the same thing but are alone.

2. Diane Tuttle says:

Hi Elysse, I am so sorry for the experience you and your housemates had on Friday. Hopefully, the person will pose no further risk you any of you. No question for today. I hope your brain can rest a bit. Prayers are with you.

3. Adam Cheney says:

Elysse,
    I am sure that you and Kari have simply told the short version of the story. I only say this because it is what I always did living overseas. I have been praying for you guys that you may find peace and comfort in this time of high stress. Living overseas comes with so many challenges, you are in the midst of one right now. Remember that God is in control and nothing escapes his knowing. He had his angels surrounding both of you, protecting you and alerting you to the situation. May God give both of you wisdom in how to handle the situation moving forward.

• Elysse Burns says:

Adam, thank you for your encouraging words and prayers. The weekend did not turn out the way I expected! God can turn this into something beautiful rather than just an ugly memory. Although it will take me some time to walk downstairs without some anxiety.

4. Akwese says:

Elysse, I am so sorry to hear about this. I have been in a similar situation and am still healing from it so know that it takes time and that if you continue to feel physical or mental limitations or anything else longer than you’d like, it is okay. The key I’ve found is to give yourself the space to fully process and feel it all, rather than immediately jump right into sense-making or reframing the situation (though helpful too, in its own time and way). Im not going to ask any specific questions here as your brain has enough to sort out but know that Im standing with you, sending prayers of peace, love, and comfort as you allow the brain and body to calm.

• Elysse Burns says:

Akwèse, thank you for your kind words and for giving me permission to process. I appreciate it. We all need people to speak those words to us! I have found it difficult to think. After the break-in, the most practical thing to do (in my mind) was laundry! I am sorry you experienced something similar. Perhaps, one day, we can talk about it?

5. mm Ryan Thorson says:

Thank you for sharing this Elyse. I am praying for you as you continue to process this. I hear in your post a very healthy slowing down to reappraise this situation that may take time but be better for your heart and brain in the long run. May the Good Shepherd of your heart and mind guide you in peace over these next days and weeks.

6. Graham English says:

Elysse, I have been praying for you and Kari this week. This has been a rough one. I have found Psalm 23 to be a helpful scripture to meditate on during times of stress. This has become a well-worn spiritual path for me, that leads me to the truth about who God is and who I am. May you know his provision, protection, and leading over the days ahead. And may you know that you are loved and valued by the Shepherd.

• Elysse Burns says:

Thank you, Graham. Psalm 23 was the first chapter I turned to after the event. My adrenaline was high, so I struggled to concentrate on the words. I will return to these verses.