Inspectional Reading Comes in Handy

Here we are in year three of the DLGP program, and I can’t help but think back to one of my first posts about Adler’s different approaches to reading: elementary, inspectional, analytical, and snytopical. It almost felt wrong to skim a book at first. It felt like I was doing the authors a disservice by not fully immersing myself in their material to understand precisely what they were saying.

I’m over it.

Inspectional reading is a great skill to learn, and I am happy Dr. Clark encouraged us to grow in this method to engage with larger amounts of content and dive deeper when needed. Speaking of which, here are the inspectional summaries and questions for the authors/speakers before we get to hear from them in person in Washington, DC.

Dreaming in Black and White

Brett Fuller has an impressive resume. He is currently a chaplain for the Washington football team, a pastor, and a writer; he ministered to students at Howard University, leads seminars, and is a family man. His book, Dreaming in Black and White, is about his Christian and biblical vision of seeing racial dividing lines dissolve.[i]He took to heart Revelation 7:9, which paints a prophetic picture of heaven where all nations, peoples, tribes, and tongues are together and united under the banner of Christ. This book outlines his heart, struggles, experiences, and successes in bringing this vision to life in the real world. He also looks at ideas and situations in history that have influenced and contributed to current biases, myths, and narratives around race on both sides of the “black-and-white” divide.

My Question: As a pastor, what practical educational and relational strategies work in helping congregations genuinely see “the other”? When it comes to white and black ethnicities in America, what needs to be healed on both sides, and what questions might both sides contemplate for a conscienceless shift to occur.

High Ceilings

Fuller’s book High Ceilings is a biblical justification and defense for women’s ability and call to serve in ministry and leadership roles.[ii] I appreciate that Fuller does not approach this topic antagonistically but humbly shares his place of arrival on this topic after much prayer, research, and experiences. Fuller holds a complementary egalitarian position when it comes to male-female dynamics in the household and in organizations. For some, especially his take on household dynamics, this will seem conservative, and for others, it will come across as progressive depending on where the interpreter stands. Much of his argument is based on personal experiences and modern reasoning, which inevitably influences the lens he uses in biblical texts. This also impacts which verses are prioritized and emphasized.

My Question: Do you still get major pushback on your position regarding women in ministry and leadership roles? Have you always held this view and if not, what experiences and relationships have shifted your view on this subject the most?

God’s Politics

Jim Wallis, in God’s Politics, attempts to cut through both conservative and liberal biases and agendas to identify “God’s politics”.[iii] Considering Scripture and experience, Jim does his best to discern biblical and kingdom agendas throughout our current political debates, policies, and parties. It is all too easy to get consumed in our own parties’ views or become blind to truth that may be found in the opposing sides. This tribal loyalty can also cause us to neglect the priorities expressed in our own Judeo-Christian faith if they seem to closely associated with the other side. Wallis believes God’s priorities revolve around justice, equality, environment, peace, and life for humanity. This book argues that neither side (democrat or republican) have a monopoly on truth. There also seems to be prevailing assumptions concerning the opposing parties and their views on faith, values, and morals that are either misunderstood, exaggerated, or simply false.

My Question: What would be a healthy balance for an American political party in an ideal world?

Although these speakers will probably not have time to answer all of our questions after sharing in DC, there is something special about getting the opportunity to meet and hear from an author after engaging with their material. I very much appreciate the approach both took when it came to race and politics. I always think it’s healthy when someone can critique and appreciate both sides of an argument or dilemma. There needs to be more of this in our country, churches, and faith communities.

See you all in a few days! Love our cohort!

[i] Fuller, Brett, Dreaming in Black and White, S.I.: Bookbaby, 2021.

[ii] Fuller, Brett E., High Ceilings: Women in Leadership.

[iii] Wallis, Jim. God’s Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn’t Get It. 1. paperback ed.. New York: HarperSanFrancisco, 2008.

Adam Harris

I am currently the Associate Pastor at a church called Godwhy in Hendersonville, TN near Nashville. We love questions and love people even more. Our faith community embraces God and education wholeheartedly. I graduated from Oral Roberts University for undergrad and Vanderbilt for my masters. I teach historical critical Biblical studies at my church to help our community through their questions and ultimately deepen their faith. I love research, writing, learning, and teaching. I oversee our staff and leadership development. Before being at Godwhy I worked as a regional sales coach and director for Anytime Fitness. I've been married for over 13 years to my best friend and we have two amazing boys that keep us busy.

8 responses to “ Inspectional Reading Comes in Handy”

1. Scott Dickie says:

Great questions Adam! As I have read other blogs, I’ve come to believe that we’ll need about 3 weeks to work through all these good questions with the authors!

Like you, I appreciate those leaders (Christian or not) who try and inhabit the (seemingly disappearing) middle road on many issues–maintaining the tension between the two extremes and avoiding simplistic or dogmatic extremes. It seems a costly position to take as one becomes a target from both sides. I wonder what it would take (and what it would look like) for a critical mass of middle-dwellers (moderates?) to come together and diminish the vitriolic communication that typifies our current cultural discourse? And how might the church lead the way?

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks for the reply Scott, I’m with you 100% on that. That idea always makes me think about Aristole’s “Virtue is in the mean”. There is an archeologist I’ve been reading lately, Israel Finkelstein, who takes the moderate position in his views on some historical stuff and he says, “I know I’m moderate because I get kicked on both sides.” which is right in line with what you are saying about avoiding extremes on either side.

Its been nice to see what this looks like in our doctoral journey. I think our program does a pretty good job of setting a healthy tone and example. I know there are people in our cohort who have different views but I’ve never seen disrespect, a lack of grace, or avoiding someone because they don’t hold the same views. We need more and more of that.

Looking forward to seeing you in DC man! Glad to have you back!

I appreciate your take on Fuller’s High Ceilings. That one was not an easy read for me, because I don’t share his interpretation. But your post reminds me that I can appreciate where I do have common ground with Fuller. As you said, much depends on where the interpreter stands. Thanks for your post and see you in DC!

• Adam Harris says:

Glad you enjoyed the post Kim. “High Ceilings” was actually a great resource for my project to showcase how some people interpret some passages and why they might do that. I may know this already, but what part of the book did you struggle with the most and what parts did you appreciate?

3. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Adam!

Your response and question to Fuller on his writing in Dreaming in Black and White is a sharp and critical question. You write, “When it comes to white and black ethnicities in America, what needs to be healed on both sides, and what questions might both sides contemplate for a conscienceless shift to occur?” I completely agree with your view. In a troubled relationship between two parties, both parties need healing. Healing can occur when each party evaluates and introspects and has the humility to admit mistakes, forgive each other, embrace, and join hands in building a civilization that is friendly to all creation. Difference is inevitable, and diversity is God’s design and will.

See you in DC. Blessings!

I also appreciated your take on High Ceilings. I’m curious about his push back as well. Adam, you always ask great questions so I look forward to hopefully hearing at least one!

Yeah for inspectional reading!!!

I really like this question: Have you always held this view and if not, what experiences and relationships have shifted your view on this subject the most?

Hope you get to ask it.

See you soon.

Oh, my goodness! I laughed so loud when I read this,

” It felt like I was doing the authors a disservice by not fully immersing myself in their material to understand precisely what they were saying.

I’m over it.”

I remember that same feeling early on! It has been an amazing couple of years. I am looking forward to seeing you soon.