Ignorance and the Kingdom

Written by: on June 13, 2018

I remember one of my friends in college, an exchange student from China pursuing fine arts, telling me about Mao and his father’s work for the government. At that time, I had no clue who Mao was or anything about the situation in China. Learning my friend was an only child and that parents were severely penalized for birthing more than one child (and girls were often killed as they were less valuable than sons) was so far out of what I could comprehend as a US citizen. All I could liken it to was the biblical story of the Pharaoh in Moses’ day, killing children to oppress the Israelite people.

After reading Jung Chang’s book, I realize much of her experience and that of her family are again completely removed from my American world view and remind me now of both biblical stories of concubines, oppressed people groups and women as well as other historical events I have learned about from places such as Sudan, South Africa, North Korea and a handful of friends. I cannot personally relate to much of her writing but that does not negate the need to tell the story or to learn from her text. My ignorance is precisely part of the reason why I must listen.

As Chang shares her grandmother’s story of being sold as a child bride and then her mother’s story of leadership within the communist government, these women are full of courage and are willing to take action toward justice (or perceived justice from their vantage point). Finally, Chang tells her own story of witnessing the Cultural Revolution and its devastating impact on her family and community. The spirit of courage from her mother and grandmother are infused within Chang as she pursues her future against odds of likely failure. Chang succeeds with her mother’s help and leaves to Britain where she writes her family’s memoir, Wild Swans, which has since been translated into more than forty languages and sold over fifteen million copies.[1]

Beyond telling her own story, she has also told that of Mao, who in her words, had just as destructive an effect on the world as Hitler and Stalin, yet without the same condemnation. As Chang shares at the end of Wild Swans about her changing perception of Mao and his philosophy of leadership, she notes his ability to use the ugly side of humanity, including the capacity for envy and resentment, to make people turn on one another.[2] Chang also recognized a second characteristic of Mao’s leadership as the ‘reign of ignorance’ as she refers to it. The idea of leveraging those who were ignorant by turning them against the cultured educated class of society utilized Mao’s first strategy of bringing out the worst in people and dividing the nation against itself. In so doing, he had major aspects of the cultural history destroyed and those who were literate and of the cultured class in any way were persecuted.

Chang’s insights reveal character qualities that have been seen time and again in leaders who seek their own ends, whether historical or current. The corruption eventually breaks down a society and those with courage like Chang’s family either rise up or leave. The biblical truth in the words of Jesus comes to mind, “Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and any city or house divided against itself will not stand.”[3] Jesus, who was being accused of being Satan while casting out Satan from a man, recognized the ignorance of the religious leader’s statement.

Mao was emulating the thoughts of the religious leaders of Jesus’ day through his use of hatred and ignorance. He turned people on one another and yet, as soon as he died his posse of tyrants were arrested and the country began to rejoice. But this did not change the heart of the country or remove the ugliness from dark side of humanity. Hate had just turned from one direction to other less overt methods. This is not to say that China was still a wasteland of corruption but there was still a desperate need for reform that could not be completely born out through anything less than Kingdom methods of love and caring for one’s neighbor. As Martin Luther King Jr. spoke of violence and the need for reform in the US he wrote, “Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.”[4]

Not knowing a neighbor or being able to relate to people easily can quickly reveal one’s dark side, or at the very least, their ignorance. I noted this earlier in my admission that I am unfamiliar with much of China or the stories of its people. In addition, this is true in my own hometown and in ministry as I meet people with whom I do not relate or understand. I am ignorant of their story and when I see something that seems offensive or off-putting I can be quick to judge, rather than allowing kindness, curiosity and the truth of the Imago Dei in them to be my guide.

As I research practices of disciple-making with particular regard to the Other, there is a tendency among leaders to do what is natural rather than what is holy, pure and good. The natural thing is to assume before we know the whole truth, filling in the pages of another’s story before it is told. Not having the same experiences or values as one another does not make us enemies, it makes us diverse. The Kingdom of God in its essence is a diverse kingdom made up of every nation, tribe, people and language.[5] To scorn one another and allow ignorance to separate us keeps us from living as members of the Kingdom and makes us like the religious leaders of Jesus’ day as well as the corrupt leaders of ours.

[1] http://www.jungchang.net/ (accessed June 12, 2018)

[2] Chang, Jung. Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China. Touchstone: New York, 1991, 496.

[3] Matthew 12:25 (NASB)

[4] King, Martin Luther Jr. Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?, 1967, 67.

[5] Revelation 7:9 (NIV)

Trisha Welstad

Trisha is passionate about investing in leaders to see them become all God has created them to be. As an ordained Free Methodist elder, Trisha has served with churches in LA and Oregon, leading as a pastor of youth and spiritual formation, a church planter, and as a co-pastor of a church restart. Trisha currently serves as leadership development pastor at Northside Community Church in Newberg, OR. Over the last five years Trisha has directed the Leadership Center, partnering with George Fox and the Free Methodist and Wesleyan Holiness churches. The Leadership Center is a network facilitating the development of new and current Wesleyan leaders, churches and disciples through internships, equipping, mentoring and scholarship. In collaboration with the Leadership Center, Trisha serves as the director of the Institute for Pastoral Thriving at Portland Seminary and with Theologia: George Fox Summer Theology Institute. She is also adjunct faculty at George Fox University. Trisha enjoys throwing parties, growing food, listening to the latest musical creations by Troy Welstad and laughing with her two children.

10 responses to “Ignorance and the Kingdom”

1. Jason Turbeville says:

Trisha,
    Great insight to one’s self in this post. I have always been fascinated with Asian culture particularly Japanese and Chinese and the animosity between the two but hearing from the mouth of someone who went through the occupation was much more impactful. Your connection with the kingdom of God was very wise. I see so much of the same thing happening here in the U.S. from both sides, making a villain out of someone instead of trying to understand is destroying us as well don’t you think?

• Trisha Welstad says:

Yes, Jason I do think we often villainize rather than seek to understand. I think generally, people have a hard time seeing from another’s perspective unless they are willing to really hear their story or know the context. But if someone is not open from the beginning how will they ever get there?

Trisha,
    Great introduction and transparent reflection about how Chang’s work impacts you. Thanks for bringing Jesus into the discussion and narrative of a non-Christian biography where the rulers, the gods, and the spirits are “divided against” themselves. There is a darkness to her book and family struggle that is associated with evil rulers, powers, superstitions, and fears. The book lacks hope but gives us as future global Christian leaders the perspective, context, and challenge to meet human needs and extend ministry with the confidence of the Gospel. Thanks for the MLK references and let us all reflect the image and light of Christ.
    Stand firm, 站立得住

• Trisha Welstad says:

Yes Mike, I think the lack of hope was ominous. The light of Jesus is needed but seemingly far off until I read Greg’s post which is hopeful at the end although I am hoping for the grace and not just the perfection of brokenness for the people.

Trisha,

It really is amazing how insulated we are in the US from what goes on in the rest of the world. This week’s text was powerful exactly because it opened the door to that which was barely understood by most of us. Your willingness to recognize the need to cast aside quick assumptions of others is a good lesson that can and should be understood after reading this memoir. Well done.

• Trisha Welstad says:

Thanks Dan. I had to admit the fact to myself as I analyzed the text that I had no context for this in my life. After reading Greg’s post and realizing this is a wide spread silent truth for many people (and seeing it in another article as well) I am amazed at how quiet but what an epidemic the pain of Chang’s story is.

4. Trisha,

This quote rocks: “The natural thing is to assume before we know the whole truth, filling in the pages of another’s story before it is told. Not having the same experiences or values as one another does not make us enemies, it makes us diverse.”

Communism attempted to impose uniformity, not diversity. Democracy allows for and cultivates diversity, seeing it not as a threat but as strengthening the fabric of our living together. Unfortunately, we are seeing the end of democracy today with America forfeiting its historic leading role of championing the oppressed. Under this current president-which-shall-not-be-named, attempts are being made to say any diversity is a threat.

Have a listen to Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chrystia Freeland, as she accepts Foreign Policy’s award last week for her leadership as she accurately calls out the potential end of an empire. (Start at 2.25 to avoid intro blah-blah…).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgG7v5jnGU

• Trisha Welstad says:

Mark, I have to say that I don’t love your response because I see the truth in it regarding the end of democracy. It is painful in so many ways to live in a place where we have historically valued democracy but are now intolerant to it. The whole aspect of disregarding the oppressed and using them as leverage to a governmental gain makes me sick (see my latest FB post for reference).

Thanks for the video link. She gave a great speech and it’s refreshing to hear from an outsiders perspective as well as a balanced view from a global perspective. It also makes me sad. Our behavior as a nation/administration is dishonorable.

5. Great post Trish. I too was inspired by the courage of these women and angered by the severe oppression. But as you know, I’m also angered by the oppression women experience every day in our country as well. Your following statement was powerful…”To scorn one another and allow ignorance to separate us keeps us from living as members of the Kingdom and makes us like the religious leaders of Jesus’ day as well as the corrupt leaders of ours.” Thanks for your work that helps people live as members of the Kingdom.

6. Dave Watermulder says:

Thanks, Trisha,
    I think you are right on in your point about relating to “the other” and seeking to hear and engage with the stories of those whose experiences are different from our own. A good insight for every leader.