How Can We Live?

In The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, a key question that author Max Weber raised was, “How can we live under modern capitalism, which gives priority to the laws of the market over longstanding traditions, ethical values, and personal relationships?”[1] That is a very good question for us to ask ourselves today. In an attempt to answer this question and many others, Weber coined the term “Protestant Ethic” to explore the connections between the Protestant Reformation and the rise of modern Capitalism. The relationship between the two is intriguing. Capitalism is a powerful force. One that has greatly impacted the world in which we live in ways often overlooked. Capitalism has not been of benefit to all and leaves us with the uncomfortable tensions of how to use money and the purpose of accumulating wealth. The principles and practices of capitalism have a far reaching impact as we see incredible wealth right along-side devastating poverty.

It is clear that Weber’s question is rooted in moral and ethical concerns for humanity. Weber’s upbringing certainly impacted his interests in understanding the development of modern day capitalism. Weber was born in 1864 during a time of great social and economic change. He was the son of an ambitious elected city official in Berlin and a well-educated mother who was influenced by mid-century American Unitarian and English Progressive theology. Weber was influenced by the realism and pragmatism of his father while gaining a high regard for the dignity of a life lived by ethical standards and the belief in the worth and uniqueness of every person from his mother.[2] His motivation was concern for the sweeping changes that would occur as a result of capitalism. It seems that even within his own household there were tensions that gave rise to his curiosity about how to understand the use of money and the accumulation of wealth.

In the spirit of Adler and Van Doren, I am noticing a myriad of new words to come to terms with as I read. Among all the new words one clearly stands out. Weber’s choice of the word spirit offers a lens in which to view modern day capitalism. Spirit opens up a way for me to conceptualize the powerful force of capitalism which has created dramatic and unexpected change to our world in just the last 100 years. I am intrigued by his word choice.

In Hebrew the word spirit רוּחַ (ru.ach) is translated wind, breath, or mind.[3] This word creates images of something powerful, wild, and uncontrollable yet gentle, life giving, and purposeful. Spirit is a life force of energy with a will of its own.

In English, spirit (noun) means: the principle of conscious life; the vital principle in humans, animating the body or mediating between body and soul. An attitude or principle that inspires, animated or pervades thought, feeling, or action. Spirit (verb) means: to animate with fresh ardor or courage; to encourage on or stir up, as an action.[4] Here I get the sense that spirit is a guiding, regulating, mediating, and inspiring force with purpose.

Weber’s use of spirit as a term to describe the power and movement of capitalism is appropriate. Capitalism has a spirit and energy of its own. A power leashed into the world that can be used for good or evil. Attempting to capture the movement from a specific protestant ethic it appears Weber did not fully understand the well-intended attempts of Puritan and Protestant ascetics to address the spirit of Capitalism that concerned him.

Puritan and Protestant responses to capitalism sought to guide the new world realities of changing markets and the impact on society. In Dr. Clark’s dissertation, Evangelicalism and Capitalism: A Reparation and Diagnosis he notes that, “Religion gives people something to take hold of, to fund and resource their identities in the face of huge economic and social change.”[5] Within the church today we see a spirit of generosity right along-side the prosperity gospel. That is an uncomfortable tension. I have to wonder if some Weber’s overgeneralizations and misunderstandings of key protestant doctrines and practices haven’t contributed to the excesses of capitalism and consumerism we see today. Maybe we need an updated ascetic to govern us. The protestant work ethic, while not a bad thing, has certainly led to some unhelpful mindsets. As Clark notes, “There was a move by Evangelicals to provide identity and ‘islands of social care’ within a fast-developing capitalist world, with pressures of social mobility, long life, and the problem of the accumulation of wealth.”[6]

I have been in Bali, Indonesia for the past week at our annual pastors and leaders conference. I lived in Bali more than 30-years ago. The development of this island, largely due to tourism, is astounding. It has been decades since I last visited. I don’t recognize much of what I see. To be honest, it makes me a little sad. I have to wonder about the impact. Who has benefitted and who has been left behind. Culturally, what has been lost or changed? Undoubtedly, Bali has been impacted by the spirit of capitalism. I noticed many new churches, American influences like Starbucks, McDonalds, and new shopping malls. None of which exist during my time here.

I keep coming back to the question Weber posed, “How can we live under modern capitalism, which gives priority to the laws of the market over longstanding traditions, ethical values, and personal relationships?” During our conference this week we discussed how we can attend to the economic gaps that exist between our churches. Some churches are quite well off while others in rural and undeveloped parts of Southeast Asia are quite poor. Pastors are struggling financially while being faithful to their calling. As leaders, we value collaboration, mutual support, and authentic relationships as we seek to stay on mission addressing the needs of our communities and bring God’s kingdom to a hurting world. I am challenging myself to consider my own personal ascetic as I live with the tensions of the spirit of capitalism while living comfortably in the US knowing that people very dear to me are struggling. What spirit, attitude, and principles will govern my actions as I seek to respond to the needs before me?

1. Max Weber and Stephen Kalberg,The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism: The Revised 1920 Edition(New York: Oxford University Press, 2011), 11.
  1. Max Weber and Stephen Kalberg,The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, 10.
  2. https://www.stepbible.org/
  1. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/spirit
  1. Jason Paul Clark, “Evangelicalism and Capitalism: A Reparative Account and Diagnosis of Pathogeneses in the Relationship” (DMIN diss., George Fox University, Newberg, 2018), 116. https://digitalcommons.georgefox.edu/gfes/132
  1. Jason Paul Clark, “Evangelicalism and Capitalism: A Reparative Account and Diagnosis of Pathogeneses in the Relationship” (DMIN diss., George Fox University, Newberg, 2018), 107-108. https://digitalcommons.georgefox.edu/gfes/132

Jenny Dooley

Jenny served as a missionary in Southeast Asia for 28 years. She currently resides in Gig Harbor, Washington, where she works as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Certified Spiritual Director in private practice with her husband, Eric. Jenny loves to listen and behold the image of God in others. She enjoys traveling, reading, and spending time with her family which include 5 amazing adult children, 3 awesome sons-in-law, a beautiful daughter-in-law, and 8 delightful grandchildren.

9 responses to “How Can We Live?”

1. Hey Jenny. As usual, brilliant post! I have an easy question. You said in regard to Capitalism: “One that has greatly impacted the world in which we live in ways often overlooked.” My question is in what one or two ways has Capitalism impacted the world that most people are not aware of?

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Todd,
      I don’t think that is an easy question because I am swimming in the pond. But here are two examples that come to mind, one positive, one negative, and a very recent observation. On the positive side, I can think of many examples in which people without recognition live simply, give financially, and offer support to individuals as well as organizations that meet the needs of the poor and marginalized. I think there are more unsung, nameless, faceless heroes who quietly do good with what God has blessed them with whether much or little. On the negative side, I wonder how a capitalistic mindset creates negative and biased narratives about the poor or unemployed. For example, they’re lazy, don’t want to work etc… It makes it easier to view the problem as belonging to someone else rather than a problem created by the system and our responses to it. It removes us from responsibility and we stay blind to the needs of others and unmoved by God’s command to care for our fellow man. Having just returned from Asia, I notice the shifts in culture and lifestyle. The Balinese culture seems to have become a commodity, something to be sold for profit. I noticed a decrease in joy and a busyness to life there that largely did not exist more than 30 years ago when I lived there. It was not the slower pace and gentle lifestyle that I remembered. I hope that answers the question. These are complex topics with lots of layers,

• “It removes us from responsibility and we stay blind to the needs of others and unmoved by God’s command to care for our fellow man.” C’Mon Jenny!!! That’s insightfully brilliant! Now I’m thinking how not to stay blind to the needs of others and how capitalism is impacting me? Thank you Jenny!

• Jenny Dooley says:

I had a little “soapbox” moment with a couple of my adult kids today talking about the dark-side of capitalism. I was surprised what came out of my mouth, what I was integrating, and pleased with my kids response. Who knew! 🙂

Nice.
    Until now I have not seen capitalism as an alluring force that could taint our faith. But when you look around you, looking for it, you begin to see how our consumerist society in the USA is becoming ingrained into our DNA.

Today our “house doctor” (he was fixing some windows and screens) railed about all the money we were spending in Ukraine and Israel.

Nothing about right or wrong, nor loss of innocent lives. It was the money spent that irked him. “USA” first was his rallying cry.

It saddens me that this was his primary gripe.

We talked about our work in Ukraine and he was willing to listen. Lots of energy, though, is being expended in the endless political debates.

Sigh…and it will just get worst.

Shalom

Hi Russell,
    Sorry I missed Friday morning! Your response has me revisiting the Johari window. There is so much that we don’t see and need others help to see. I have really enjoyed reading everyone’s post…much much more that writing my own! These are such complex issues and concepts. All the more so because it all is part of our “DNA” as you put it. Maybe some genetic engineering isn’t a bad thing:) Isn’t this the work of sanctification and transformation in our lives, that we begin to see the world differently and through God’s eyes. Even with all the different social, economic, and political perspectives I see some wonderful people trying to figure it out and respond faithfully. I don’t fully understand the readings of late, but I am sensing change within me and greater assurance in a good God! Thanks for responding to my post!

Really appreciate your reflections and connections to Weber’s term about “the spirit of capitalism”. I thought about going down that path but didn’t, so glad you did. You articulated some things I had swirling around in my head while reading very well! That “spirit / ethic” of profit, hard work, innovation, growth, and reason can be a healthy thing or become a god in and of itself.

• Jenny Dooley says:

Hi Adam, Thanks for your comments. I thought I was going to write the whole blog post on “spirit ” when I began. It got away from me right along with some edits that got lost with spotty internet. Oh well! I am happy to hear you gleaned something from my post. As you said, the spirit of capitalism can be a healthy thing or a god. I keep thinking of Matthew 6:24 about the inability to serve two masters. Just watching a bit of a football game today and seeing the advertisements I felt the “spirit” of our consumer driven culture. I do not enjoy that feeling or the lie that we need more… (fill in the blank) to have an exciting and fulfilling life. As I age, I want less things, a simpler life, more of God, and the freedom to live a more generous life.