Bold As A Lion

As we dig for gold in ourselves and others, we begin to overcome anxiety and become a pro. Resistance no longer has a hold of us, we become masters of our environments. We have become doctors no longer easily rattled, but focused on the task and having the best interest of our Heavenly Father, but also those in our care.

Intro

In The War of Art by Steven Pressfield we can put another book into our every practice of being leaders, ministers, coaches, and for some doctors. Pressfield encourages his readers to continue growing and moving forward. To make us aware that resistance is not a means to an end, but a means to a new beginning in us. An opportunity to step through a new threshold and be the leader God created and always new we could be.

The Book in 3 Sentences

1. Resistance sharpens us and helps move us forward.
  2. We can continue to be amateurs (a great love or passion) or we can go pro (dedicate our lives to this).
  3. Resistance does everything to keep us from turning pro.

The Five Big Ideas

1. “Resistance cannot be seen, touched, heard, or smelled. But it can be felt. We experience it as an energy field radiating from a work-in-potential. It’s a repelling force. It’s negative. Its aim is to shove us away, distract us, prevent us from doing our work.”
  2. “If you take Resistance at its word, you deserve everything you get.”
  3. “The awakening artist must be ruthless, not only with herself but with others.”
  4. “The best and only thing that one artist can do for another is to serve as an example and an inspiration.”
  5. The power to take charge is in your hands; all you had to do is believe it.

Biblical Examples

We see in Philippians 1:27-28 27 Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel, 28 and not in any way terrified by your adversaries, which is to them a proof of perdition, but [a]to you of salvation, and that from God.

We are called to live our lives according to the Gospel. As believers we are to be fearless in our pursuit of Christ and His high calling on our lives. We are to stand firm, unafraid of our opponents. Proverbs 28:1 The wicked flee when no one is pursuing, but the righteous are as bold as a lion. We see there is a correlation in the bible between wickedness and fear. When we are abiding with God or in right relationship with God our Heavenly Father moves us from glory to glory (Romans 8).

Pastoral Experience

Years ago, I was asked to come and speak at a conference. Prior to this experience I traveled with my pastor, I introduced him to the audience, prayed with people, met with our team, and made sure he had everything he needed to be successful. Unfortunately at this next conference I was invited to speak and minister, I was greatly afraid of failing and began praying, and preparing to be successful. I told the inviting minister that I would come, but I was not sure if I would speak as I did not know if I had the confidence to speak.

However once there, the Holy Spirit began to move, my Heavenly Father was with me, I felt his anointing, I felt His power and authority. I walked up to the stage and asked for the mic. I began to preach, I moved in my gifts and people came to Christ.

In Steven Pressfield’s The War of Art he encourages his readers to not let resistance keep us from giving up on our goals. I do find some of his beliefs could line up more biblically, but overall I believe this book to be encouraging and sound. If I could change some things about the book, it would be to leave out the profanity. I have noticed lately that many key speakers are using colorful language to emphasize their points, or maybe trying to catch or keep the attention of the audience. I am thankful Jesus never used this tactic, He simply let the life He lived speak for Him at times.

Steven Pressfield, The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles. (New York, Black Irish Entertainment LLC, 2002).

Greg McMullen

Pastor Greg resides in Lake Stevens WA and pastors a small rural church in the Machias area . The Well Church has a large food ministry in which many different cultures come each week to gather food and counsel. The Church has a small school that is bearing good fruit. Pastor Greg has a large family of 10 children and enjoys fishing and hiking.

8 responses to “Bold As A Lion”

I enjoyed reading your blog.
    I like how you weaved Scripture in…
    Proverbs 28:1 The wicked flee when no one is pursuing, but the righteous are as bold as a lion. We see there is a correlation in the bible between wickedness and fear. When we are abiding with God or in right relationship with God our Heavenly Father moves us from glory to glory (Romans 8

I appreciated your example of being fearful to speak and then allowing the Holy Spirit to help you be bold as a lion!
    I am praying for the work that God has put in front of you. I hope you are experiencing His grace and strength as you lead your rural flock and lead the charge in the food ministry.

2. Kristy,

Thank you, I appreciate you. We are suppose to get another wave of Ukrainian refugees over the next month. I don’t know if we will be able to rise to meet this need this go around. Our volunteers/equipment are showing signs of fatigue after three years. Hopefully we can pull this off for one more as the economy recovers.

Peace and Blessings.

Hey Greg,

You got me thinking about the connection between the fighting of internal resistance and the work of the Holy Spirit. I wonder if there’s an element of “Spiritual Warfare” that goes into the creator’s inner demons of resistance. Thank you for writing these reflections Greg.

4. David,
    Spiritual Warfare is in interesting arena that takes a skilled person with knowledge and experience, most of all discernment.

Friedman’s book helped me recognize when i’m dealing with someone with high anxiety compared the Jezebel spirit or other demonic influences.

We see for the Jezebel to exist or have a foothold, a king like Ahab has to allow for that spirit to have a place. I believe that “Spiritual Warfare” happens and will continue to happen. But we also must must walk in the authority that Christ gave us on Calvary.

That is really great insight and connection David. Thank you for bringing that to attention.

Hi Greg, I really enjoyed reading your blog and appreciated the way you set it up with summarizing the book in three sentences and giving the five big ideas, then bringing a Scriptural lens and adding your own personal experience.

I love this sentence and image: “I began to preach, I moved in my gifts and people came to Christ.” It is so interesting how fear can sometimes keep us from moving in our gifts. I see that in my own life. I like how you told the pastor that you would come, even as you were wrestling with your fear, and you didn’t close the door to speaking. Thanks for sharing this story of how you were honest with God in your prayers and courageous in allowing the Holy Spirit to move and empower you. I wonder how often we close the door to opportunity, because we’re afraid, and never give ourselves the chance to sense and follow the strength of the Holy Spirit. Thank you, Greg. You inspire me.

6. mm Audrey Robinson says:

Greg, excellent post. It had everything. Great summary of the assigned readings. Scripture references and a reflective personal story.

Continue to be obedient and allow the Holy Spirit to use you.

7. Thank you Audrey and Jenny. I am thankful for your insight, knowledge, and experience. We have a pretty incredible cohort group.

What a great recap….How can Christian leaders draw from Steven Pressfield’s “The War of Art” to better understand the power of Resistance and use it to their advantage as they strive to live out their God-given purpose?