Black Dignity, Black Joy: A Mirror to Our Shared Humanity

Introduction:

In a world of divisions and hierarchies, the quest for dignity and joy becomes a collective endeavor transcending color lines. Vincent Lloyd’s ‘Black Dignity’ is a philosophical exploration of racial justice and human dignity, revealing how affirming black dignity is intrinsic to recognizing inherent human worth. As we navigate nuanced terrains of racial activism and collective struggles, we unearth a shared essence of joy that binds us in our fight against domination. This book calls us to see our shared humanity reflected in the mirror of black dignity and joy, urging solidarity for a world where one’s flourishing equates to the flourishing of all.

Conceptualizing Black Dignity:

“I set out to prove a black man could receive a fair trial in the south, that we are all equal in the eyes of the law. That’s not the truth, because the eyes of the law are human eyes – yours and mine – and until we can see each other as equals, justice is never going to be evenhanded. It will remain nothing more than a reflection of our own prejudices, so until that day we have a duty under God to seek the truth, not with our eyes and not with our minds where fear and hate turn commonality into prejudice, but with our hearts – where we don’t know better[1].” This quote is from the 1996 movie A Time To Kill. It came to mind after reading and talking to Audrey during our syntopical interview.

Lloyd’s exploration of Black dignity transcends affirming Black humanity; it serves as a model for comprehending dignity on a broader scale. Recognizing and affirming Black dignity empowers dismantling systemic injustices. It’s not limited to race but offers a blueprint for understanding the broader concept of dignity, enabling the challenge against oppressive structures[2].

Black Joy:

Lloyd often alludes to Black Joy[3] without an explicit definition. Black Joy describes unique[4] expressions of joy, resilience, and community among black individuals despite systemic oppression. It’s a form of resistance[5] and celebration of black culture, achievements, and existence in a society that often marginalizes them. Through self-love, community engagement, cultural celebration, and shared happiness, Black joy emerges as a powerful affirmation of life and humanity in adversity.  It’s a reminder that joy, even in the face of systemic challenges, is a fundamental aspect of the human experience that transcends racial and cultural boundaries.

So What:

Black dignity is our dignity; Black joy is our joy. It transcends race, focusing on recognizing the dignity of marginalized individuals and participating in their joy. Dignity is universal and rooted in Jesus, expressed through us as His image bearers[6] and ambassadors[7]. Unfortunately, the church has often fallen short in this regard, evident in cases like Ahmad Arbery, Trayvon Martin, Sandra Bland, George Floyd, Philando Castile, and more (https://sayevery.name/). Failure to recognize Black Dignity and Black Joy in our brothers and sisters hinders recognizing the same in others. As 1 John 4:20 states, “If anyone says, ‘I love God,’ and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.[8]” Let’s love the ones we see to express love for the One we cannot see.

[1] YouTube. (2020, June 28). A Time to kill HD – best closing argument ever – close your eyes I’m going to tell a story of a girl. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYn8keaxjs4

[2] Vincent W. Lloyd, Black Dignity: The struggle Against Domination (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2022), 46.

[3] Vincent W. Lloyd, Black Dignity: The struggle Against Domination (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2022), 46.

[4] Hameed, A. (2022, January 28). Black joy. Dictionary.com. https://www.dictionary.com/e/historical-current-events/black-joy/

[5] Joseph, C. (2020, July 29). What Black Joy Means – and why it’s more important than ever. British Vogue. https://www.vogue.co.uk/arts-and-lifestyle/article/what-is-black  joy#:~:text=What%20Black%20Joy%20Means%20%E2%80%93,can%20help%20us%20heal%2C%20too

[6] https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%201%3A26&version=ESV

[7] https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Corinthians+5%3A20&version=ESV

[8] Holy Bible 1 John 4:20 (ESV)

Daron George

- Something cool goes here -

10 responses to “Black Dignity, Black Joy: A Mirror to Our Shared Humanity”

1. Daron – I appreciated your reflection on Black Joy. It reminded me of Wilder and Warner’s third principle of RARE Leadership: Return to Joy. God is so good to give us the ability to seek joy in the midst of even the most difficult circumstances. Thank you for making this connection!

• mm Daron George says:

Laura,

Thank you for your thoughtful comment! I’m glad my reflection on Black Joy resonated with you and brought to mind Wilder and Warner’s principle of returning to joy. It’s indeed a testament to the resilience and strength that we can find joy even in challenging circumstances. God’s goodness shines through even in difficult moments.

2. Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Daron, I so appreciated your post. Thank you. I like the way you brought together Black Dignity and Black Joy and challenged us with this thought: “Black dignity is our dignity; Black joy is our joy. It transcends race, focusing on recognizing the dignity of marginalized individuals and participating in their joy.” I also really appreciated your closing thoughts on the church and the way you highlighted 1 John 4:20. I hope we can do better as a church and notice those things in ourselves that will help us to love each other more earnestly. Thank you for your thoughts and insights and wisdom, Daron.

• mm Daron George says:

Jenny

I share your hope that as a church, we can continue to grow and improve in our ability to love one another earnestly, just as 1 John 4:20 encourages us to do. It’s through these discussions and reflections that positive change can happen. Thanks again for your feedback and engagement!

3. Kristy Newport says:

Deron,
    Whoa…I like this quote….

“so until that day we have a duty under God to seek the truth, not with our eyes and not with our minds where fear and hate turn commonality into prejudice, but with our hearts – where we don’t know better[1]”

I liked your emphasis on joy!
    “joy, even in the face of systemic challenges, is a fundamental aspect of the human experience that transcends racial and cultural boundaries.”

How have you expressed joy in the midst of prejudice? Did your family have a “joy practice” or did you see an example in your life which prompted you to practice joy?
    You are a joyful brother and I am glad for your presence in this program.
    I would be so curious if /how you may be weaving joy into your NPO?

• mm Daron George says:

Kristy

Expressing joy in the midst of prejudice can be challenging, but it’s important to remember that joy can be a form of resistance and resilience. Personally, I’ve found joy in connecting with others who share similar values and goals, in celebrating cultural and community achievements, and in advocating for positive change. While my family didn’t have a specific “joy practice,” they instilled in me the importance of resilience.

I have not yet thought about placing joy in my NPO.

4. Kristy Newport says:

Deron
    1 John 4:20
    so good/big challenge
    Jesus doesn’t hold back

5. mm Chad McSwain says:

Daron,

Thank you for this post. I connected to this quote, “It’s a reminder that joy, even in the face of systemic challenges, is a fundamental aspect of the human experience that transcends racial and cultural boundaries.”
    This made me think of the way that Christ followers have expressed joy, particularly while facing difficult circumstances. This is a powerful witness to the deeper things of life. It really is a beautiful and attractive form of resistance, while also giving a picture of the future glory that awaits.

6. Thanks Daron,
    I agree with you on the Joy of the Lord, I have concluded it is the only way to remain resilient and relational amidst some of the great challenges of our time.
    Loved your sharing this morning in the hot seat.

7. mm Becca Hald says:

Daron, okay, I must confess, I heard Matthew McConaughey’s voice when reading the quote from “A Time to Kill.” Such a great movie. That movie came out just after my husband and I got married. I think after having children of my own, it hits so much deeper. The closing line of his defense, “Now imagine she’s white.” This reminds me of the quote Laura used from Christy Oglesby, “I need the white mamas to share this burden.” I do not always know how to share the burden, but as much as I am able, I will continue to try.

I love your conclusion on the importance of Black joy and of love. You exemplify joy to me. No matter your struggle, I always see you with a smile. You have found strength and joy in your trials. May we all learn to find the joy in life and to love like Jesus loves.