A Liturgy for the Inner Creative Battle

Written by: on December 5, 2023

The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle sounds like an intense and intimidating read. The author, Steven Pressfield, is clearly passionate and experienced as a creative professional. While parts of the book felt reminiscent of Austin Kleon’s Steal Like an Artist, this book’s main idea was more clearly defined. Basically, successful artists discipline themselves and stay focused on their art in the face of distractions and criticism. This is never more important than when those distractions and criticism come from within.

The practical applications that Pressfield develops are fairly obvious. Work hard every day. If you are self-sabotaging, stop it. Stay committed for the long haul. Trust the process. Oh wait, he didn’t actually say that last one, but our seminary’s favorite mantra seems to fit.

However, the theme that I found most fascinating was Pressfield’s spirituality and how he wove it through his creative process. He describes an artist’s creative aspirations in the way I would describe God’s calling on my life. It’s something deep within, something that makes me feel alive when I’m working in it.

I resonate with the concluding lines of the book:

Are you a born writer? Were you put on earth to be a painter, a scientist, an apostle of peace? In the end the question can only be answered by action. Do it or don’t do it [1].

These lines describe perfectly how God called us to France in 2010. After 5 years of married life, my husband and I had a townhouse and a dog and we wanted to start a family. We had also always felt a call to the mission field. That was when we sensed God saying, “Were you called to this? Do it or don’t do it. What’s your choice?” Ultimately, our choice was to take action.

That said, I cringed to read Pressman’s assertion (albeit purposefully exaggerated) that if we all followed our creative passions we will have “no need for shrinks, prisons, alcohol, tobacco, junk food, cosmetics, hospitals” and his list goes on and on [2]. I fear that this kind of thinking sets people up for heartbreak and crises of faith. Adversity is sure to come, as are the simply mundane and tedious parts of life. This mentality that says following your passion will lead to an amazing and fulfilled life is smacks of prosperity gospel. When life gets difficult, we all need a robust theology of suffering otherwise our faith will likely be left in shambles.

Interestingly, Pressfield seems to almost contradict himself later when he says, “The artist committing himself to his calling has volunteered for hell, whether he knows it or not. He will be dining for the duration on a diet of isolation, rejection, self-doubt, despair, ridicule, contempt, and humiliation.” [3] He is admitting that the life of a committed artist will not be all sunshine and roses, but rather it will require dedication and perseverance, both words we are very familiar with as Christians in ministry.

Later on, Pressfield mentions his own daily ritual of invoking a higher power at the beginning of his work day. He references the start of Homer’s Odyssey:

“O Divine Poesy, goddess, daughter of
Zeus, sustain for me this song of the
various-minded man…” [4]

I won’t belabor his analysis of Homer’s invocation, but it did remind me of the Rule of Life I stumbled upon at the start of our doctoral journey. I’ve been aiming to pray upon waking, when I sit at my desk to begin my work day, when I return to my desk after lunch, and when I finally close my laptop at the end of the day. It’s become my personal liturgy as I aim to create something new and hopefully beautiful in my context.

In that spirit, I offer an invocation for beginning the “Inner Creative Battle”:

“Creator God, in whose image we are made, You have granted me a creative vision, an abiding passion and this time and space in which to work.

You also know the limits of my humanness, that I will become distracted and tired. You know that I have only so many hours in this day because you created the day itself.

May my efforts be multiplied like the loaves and fish that my work might glorify You. At the same time, may I learn to be content with a day’s work, leaving the fruits of my labor in your hands, because You are the Master Gardener.

In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Amen.”

______________________________________

1. Steven Pressfield, The War of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle (New York, RUGGED LAND, LLC, 2002) 158. 
  2. Ibid., 15.
  3. Ibid., 71.
  4. Ibid., 118.

Kim Sanford

8 responses to “A Liturgy for the Inner Creative Battle”

Hi Kim, I enjoyed reading your post, especially the prayer at the end. I am going to steal for my own personal use! Pressfield’s book also reminded me of Austin Kleon’s book, and the following quotes, “Creativity is subtraction.” (p. 134-135) And, “The right constraints can lead you to your very best work.” (p. 138) I am struggling to know what to let go of in the coming week. I really do think it is perfection and I need to be careful about my schedule next semester. I am not sure that my Rule of Life reflects my current academic journey and limitations. You summed up the book well when you wrote, “Basically, successful artists discipline themselves and stay focused on their art in the face of distractions and criticism. This is never more important than when those distractions and criticism come from within.” So true!
    Thank you for the many good reminders and reflection points in your post. I realize I put my question for you on my post. So I will ask it here. What is it like for you and your family to celebrate Christmas in France? Enjoy your accomplishments and the Christmas season!

Thanks for asking, Jenny. We have acquired a quirky mix of American and French traditions over the years. Our city has a small Christmas market and a giant ferris wheel. And we love sharing our cookie decorating tradition with our French friends. Do you have any unusual or special traditions in your family?

Kim, GREAT prayer. I think I’ll use it.

I resonated with the ‘do it or don’t do it’ line, too. I think too often artists or creatives define themselves by what they are gifted to do or desire to do, not necessarily by WHAT they do.

And I’m encouraged by your story of deciding with your husband to go for it. I’ve always believed the I’d rather get to the end of my life having attempted great things and failing big than not having attempting them and succeeding small.

Yes! I agree- the prayer you offer at the end helps me with the dissonance I felt in reading this week’s assignment. Returning our limitations back to our Creator to mold for His purposes was what was lacking. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in this work.

Along with all the others, I love your ending prayer. Thank you for bringing us back to center as we finish to the end.
    Also, I loved your thought “When life gets difficult, we all need a robust theology of suffering otherwise our faith will likely be left in shambles.” I now pray very differently for people when they go through struggles as for myself as well …He is always with us, forming and shaping us with great care even if our prayers aren’t answered the way we had hoped.

Kim,
    I love this….“Creator God, in whose image we are made, You have granted me a creative vision, an abiding passion and this time and space in which to work.

Can I borrow it?

It helps us keep our eyes on HIM and gives a permission to be human and frail.

Nice….

Shalom

You pulled a lot of great ideas from the book. I appreciate your critique and call for a more “robust theology of suffering”. Following our call and passion is a paradox similar to following Jesus. You fill a void in your heart, but it’s important to sit down and count the cost since it will not always be easy. As Pressfield says, it can even be miserable sometimes. Love that you put a prayer at the end, that’s what gets us through. Have a great Christmas!!

8. Pressfield’s “The War of Art” explores the discipline and dedication required for creative endeavors. While he emphasizes commitment, it’s crucial to acknowledge life’s challenges and mundane aspects. His spiritual undertones resonate with your sense of calling to France. However, Pressfield’s prosperity gospel-like statements can be misleading. A robust theology of suffering is necessary to navigate inevitable difficulties on the creative journey. Your daily invocation aligns your creative work with a higher purpose.