Zettelkasten, Overthinking, and a Baby Guinness

I have made multiple attempts to pen this premier blog. As a champion overthinker, I visited numerous rabbit holes to critically consider what a self-assessment means and what standard I compare. Framing my evaluation in humility may sound disingenuous, and efforts to incorporate humor did not seem as funny the next day. So, the cycle of deleting content and beginning again with a blank page continued. After a fair amount of time spent staring at an empty screen with a Baby Guinness in hand, I heard God’s still, small voice remind me of the fabulous Zettelkasten method that Niklas Luhmann used to capture and organize his thoughts. Yes, that is it! While my library of notes currently resides inside dozens of book covers, thousands of page margins, and occasionally an extra piece of paper folded inside to also serve as a bookmark, I have plenty of thoughts to draw inspiration from.

Reading is one of my favorite activities. Considering my collection of books, I prefer biographies, memoirs, historical and political texts, and other non-fiction content. When I began my job at Prison Fellowship, a national prison ministry founded by Chuck Colson, a former Nixon advisor and accomplice in the Watergate scandal, the ministry provided a welcome gift of books from Chuck’s personal library. He, too, collected thoughts, ideas, and questions inside the covers and margins of the pages, which are fun to read.

In addition to the required coursework, I am reading “Making Sense of the Bible” by Adam Hamilton and “Letters and Papers from Prison” by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. The inspectional reading approach learned from Adler’s “How to Read A Book” has proven useful, and I look forward to further developing this skill.

Taking notes is a natural extension of reading; however, I have been very excited to learn about the Zettelkasten method. I have already established a system using Microsoft OneNote and am working to form a new habit of adding thoughts to it daily. Admittedly, a small celebration ensued when I figured out how to create bi-directional links through the software. This program will help me capture and organize thoughts for better and more efficient productivity. While I may still enjoy a Baby Guinness occasionally, I hope never again to do so while launching a writing project staring at a blank page.

In 2010, the world saw the release of the Apple iPad, the term “Snowmageddon” was introduced by then President Obama, and Mark Zuckerberg was named Time Magazine’s Person of the Year. It was also the year I composed my most recent academic essay, which feels like ages ago. Today, I frequently write grants and other proposals designed to move people into action. I am blessed with a front-row seat to witness firsthand what God is doing to transform the lives of men and women in prison. Strengthening my writing skills by learning different techniques will help me tell those life-breathing stories better.

But wait, what about the Baby Guinness? A fellow seminarian taught me about this delectable treat in Oxford. It is a shot-glass dessert cocktail with one part Irish cream and three parts coffee liqueur. The Irish cream floats atop the liqueur for the look of a world-famous Guinness beer. I highly recommend it to alleviate writer’s block or to help craft a Zettelkasten of your own.

Enjoy. Cheers!

Jennifer Eckert

Fundraising director, people connector, believer in second chances, fights poverty, supports justice reform, lives a life integrated with Matthew 25.

12 responses to “Zettelkasten, Overthinking, and a Baby Guinness”

1. mm Kari says:

Jennifer, I have enjoyed personally experiencing your thoughts on life over that Baby Guinness in Oxford! Your zeal for reading, especially multiple types of literature simultaneously, is inspirational. Adler helped revitalize my desire to read more, but I find myself wanting to compartmentalize reading and to finish one piece of literature at a time. What do you find helps you to simultaneously compartmentalize and stay present in each book and also connect those thoughts and takeaways to the rest of life?

2. mm Jennifer Eckert says:

Thank you! I have learned to integrate everything. The more I try to compartmentalize, the more energy is spent doing something unnatural to me. As a “connector,” nothing in my world occurs in boxes. Living a more intentionally integrated life allows me to see Jesus more clearly in the everyday world. This means applying the lessons learned in church, seminars, and books with personal and professional relationships. The downside is the unintended consequences of blurred lines when you need them to be clear.

3. Elysse Burns says:

Jennifer, I understand the multiple writing attempts, only to find myself faced with a blank page. I have struggled “finding my voice” my entire academic career. I believe this comes from a much-needed development in the areas of reading and note-taking. I am intrigued by the Zettelkasten method and can’t wait to implement this practice.

Congratulations on discovering bidirectional links through OneNote! I am encouraged to hear that you are already developing the daily habit of adding notes to this newly adopted system. It doesn’t seem like the Baby Guinness has affected your productivity!

Thank you for sharing more about your work and the amazing transformations you can witness, as well as for this interesting information about Chuck Colson’s library.

I look forward to hearing more of your life-breathing stories.

4. Chad Warren says:

Jennifer, first of all, I am intrigued by the Baby Guinness solution to writer’s block and plan on giving it a go.

You mentioned 2010 as the last time you composed an academic essay but referenced recent experience in grant writing. How do you see your experience in grant writing being a strength in this doctoral program? What do you anticipate having to overcome because of it?

Also, which Chuck Colson margin note have you found most intriguing? A few years ago I was able to spend time with a personal Bible of Jonathan Edwards. One margin note I found particularly interesting is that he believed when the Lord created the first day it was a Thursday.

• mm Jennifer Eckert says:

Hi Chad,
      Thanks for your comments and questions!

Grant writing is pretty cut and dry. There is a form with questions that need to be answered inspirationally and a reasonable budget that should match the proposed project. That skill will add value to my academic writing by revealing new insight for my Zettelkasten. I don’t see any consequences of utilizing it.

In Bonhoeffer’s book, Colson really liked the section that essentially says not everything is simply God’s will; however, nothing happens without God’s will, which gives us access to him at all times and in all circumstances. A rusted paperclip saves the page.

Blessings to you

5. Julie O'Hara says:

Jennifer, When you shared your own enthusiasm over Zettelkasten I was primed to be open minded. I appreciate that you emphasized using the notes method daily and determine to do the same. It sounds like the best way to get started is just to dive right in.

6. mm Chris Blackman says:

Hi Jennifer! LOL love the baby Guineess idea. May have to try that one day as I write about spiritual transformation in recovery. 🙂 I, too, struggled with the idea of self-assessment and tried not to make it a self-condemnation of my shortfalls. It is healthy to understand and embrace our weaknesses. It sounds to me that you have all the tools you need!! (and a baby Guinness!)

• mm Jennifer Eckert says:

Chris! So good to hear from you and to see you and Nancy on screen. Your topic is one that speaks to my heart. I cannot wait to see how it comes to fruition and how I can learn from you.

Bless you, my friend.

7. Adam Cheney says:

Jennifer,
    Yes, the baby Guinness was my first experience with it as well thanks to our Aussie/British mate. I am glad that it helped relieve the stress of the writers block and that you were able to begin writing. I will often sit with a glass of wine when I write at night (though I delay posting:) Is the iPhone really only 14 years old? My kids are amazed that we lived before without them.
    I wonder how you are liking the OneNote app. Have you found that it has been a good platform for collecting and taking notes?

• mm Jennifer Eckert says:

Good job squeezing in the note of accountability! So far, I do like OneNote. My habit of daily entry is probably my biggest hurdle, but the software is good. I chose that out of consideration of longevity. Which will be around longer, Obsidian or OneNote? Perhaps they both will be “forever” in one form or another, but the idea of investing years of input into a tool that goes away is something I want to avoid.

So glad to be in your cohort/peer group. It was a bonus that we all learned about Baby Guinness’ together!