You are what you read…

French lawyer, politician, and famous gastronome, Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin became famous for the words‘‘Dis-moi ce que tu manges, je te dirai ce que tu es’’. These words were equivalent to what we now mimic when we say “you are what you eat” (‘Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are’). Even though these words were spoken in the 1800’s the concept that this famous gastronome spoke of lives on and remains true. If one eats foods that are good for you then you will also reap the benefits in good health. I thought of this as I glanced at the pages of “Postmodernism”. I was intrigued to learn from topics that I would have never read if I were not pursuing a doctoral degree. It caused me to remember that I was becoming a well rounded leader and I need to consume something new to produce something great.1.

What was more than clear to me was there were quite a few issues that postmodernism debated. The enlightenment period had not convinced those debating that theorist had the answers through science and other avenues. Some of the more interesting debates include the debate that education was not to train students to become independently functioning adults. Some believe that school is majorly important and see no concerns with its concept. Other debates such as whether Columbus was a hero and affirmative action was bone thrown to minorities/ women. Some theorist have argued that Columbus was not deserving of a holiday due to the miscalculation of his discovery. These issues were great concerns for skeptics.

There is also a debate from the side of those that were followers of the enlightenment. One in particular was a debate that we may often come across. Does reason trump religion? Christians may undoubtingly choose religion but so many attempt to question how God can do the very things that we have faith in. Skeptics may have the belief that those things we thought blessings or destiny may just be by chance.

To conclude there are many debates that stem from both post modernism and enlightenment. What I have consume through reading this particular writing is that we make choices that reflect what we follow. We are lead by what we think is right. Our religion, education and political stance can all be contributors to the side if debate we are on. What ever that side might be what we read will influence how we lead.

Tzameli, Iphigenia. Appetite and the brain: you are what you eat. Cell press,2013.

Hicks, Stephen. Postmodernism. China,2004.

Shonell Dillon

A daughter of the KING of kings and the LORD of lords. A lover of LIFE!

6 responses to “You are what you read…”

Hello, Shonell. We missed you in Oxford. I hope all is well with you. I agree with you when you say “we make choices that reflect what we follow. We are lead by what we think is right.” This definitely holds true with food, exercise, entertainment, and social activities – in person or through mobile platforms. You can tell a lot about someone by what they consume and I know God knows this better than we do. Many of us hide some regrets or bad habits but God is all-knowing and he sees our desires. We are all subject to modern idolatry in many ways. Awareness is definitely the key. Thank you for your insights.

2. Shonell,
    I really appreciated your post, thank you. I liked your directness and confidence in this post. Well done!

Yes, so true. We are what we read. I would like to think I am pretty objective in my reading. However, that’s not totally true. The books I read shape me, whether I disagree or agree. I guess this is a call to intellectual humility and curiosity (something Caleb advocates for in his post).

Hi Shonell

I connected your quote, “I was intrigued to learn from topics that I would have never read if I were not pursuing a doctoral degree. It caused me to remember that I was becoming a well rounded leader and I need to consume something new to produce something great.” I need structure to push myself to be a well rounded leader. I agree that I too have to consume something new to produce something great. Thank you for sharing your insight.

Shonell,
    I agree with all the comments above.
    Id like to say- “ditto”

What I have consume through reading this particular writing is that we make choices that reflect what we follow. We are lead by what we think is right. Our religion, education and political stance can all be contributors to the side if debate we are on. What ever that side might be what we read will influence how we lead.

GREAT CLOSING STATEMENT! Thank you for sharing your heart! You are wise!