Writing With Light

Written by: on December 7, 2023

At this strange time in the world in which we are marching towards a New Year, it is a comfort to look back at this semester at the words we have read, the questions we have asked and the prayers we have prayed. After writing three papers and 11 blogs this year (not counting outside writing any of us do), we all share in common our concerns about leadership, God, human beings, toxic systems, the Church, Body of Christ, broken people–broken but beautiful and incredibly fascinating.  

In reading a writing book like Steven Pressfield’s, The War of Art, our own writing comes into view, for some it is held under a microscope and for others it is widened. In naming an enemy to completing our writing in this program, the author personifies Resistance.  

In Pressfield’s own words he says, “Resistance is not a peripheral opponent. Resistance arises from within. It is self-generated and self-perpetuated. Resistance is the enemy within.”4  

Pressfield’s own battle with resistance seems to stem from his years in the military.  A former Marine, Pressfield served as a rifleman from 1965 to 1971. He is renowned for his ability to bring war and warrior cultures of all eras back to life. Our writing lives develop in strange and unexpected ways but it does help to know we can learn from all kinds of people on the journey. We are not alone.

Rather than saying we are writing against the enemy of Resistance, I prefer to say we are Writing with Light, which is the definition of photography.  What a gift it was to start our semester with a book about Oxford[1] preparing us for an amazing Advance to the historical city where I kept thinking how we need more history, not less in our lives.  Sullivan’s sixty summary pages of the individuals who attended the university still boggles my mind:  Dudley Moore, Oscar Wilde and C.S. Lewis, just to name a few. Although a dry read at times, the question lighting my way while I was writing the blog post was, “What does this history mean for us today as we study leadership?”[2] 

Questions Lighting the Way

Questions continued to light my way as we read difficult and disturbing books by Bebbington, Weber, Fukuyama, and Miller whose works ripped me from the comforts of Simon Walker’s books–books that talked about leadership, power and position from a relational lens. Walker’s personal invitation for us to Lead out of Who We Are, stands in stark contrast to those writers who followed.  So I am asking myself as I write today:  Was I resisting writing about evangelicalism’s history and the origins of its movement? Or was I writing with light? Perhaps a little of both. Pressfield notes that we can use resistance as a compass, we can navigate it, letting it guide us to that calling or action.  Turning the pages of Identity:The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment,[3] I managed to make connections with the historical books we were reading with Fukuyama’s work on the social movements of the 1960’s.  Along with my own questions, my cohort’s posts shed light on the darkness of my thoughts and knowledge.  Their logical and analytical writing journeys concentrated on examining the coherence, structure and meaning in all the writings.  

Collective Writings Light the Way

Simply to list all the books by the great writers we have read isn’t the point of my blog today. I may not agree with all of Pressfield’s musings (or any of our authors), even some who are well known and the best in their field.  Some are pedantic, some are simplistic, unclear, rather than coherent, some profound and engaging,though many are a mixture of all the above.  I am more interested and moved by the collective efforts of all the writings: the books, our blog posts, our papers, perhaps because I need to be taught that my own writing, academic, professional or personal, is individualistic, lifeless, selfish unless it is part of a greater community larger than my own. As Pressfield echoes the artist’s wish for their work: “Make this tale live for us in all its many bearings, O Muse.”[4] 

Prayer Lights the Way

This has been a true semester of learning to read and write.  But I’ve also learned to pray anew with more width and depth–my guess is that’s true of all of you, too. At the end of our Oxford Advance, a few of us spent 24 hours at Waverley Abbey where Dr. Jason Clark is the Principal for the college.  While there, we met with Jill Weber who hosts the Lectio 365 App and oversees the 24/7 international prayer movement. She said many good things but here are a few thoughts that stayed:

• Take a sabbath
  • Take 2 days in a row
  • Intense fellowship
  • Stop starting new things

The last point really stayed with me. At one point, I signed up to be in the prayer room alone and was immediately aware of the atmosphere–an atmosphere that required almost no effort at all to pray.  It was as if all my spiritual needs were addressed the moment I entered the room and I could just simply pray–and listen to God speak. There was zero resistance. I was praying with Light and I was renewed.  

Here is a poem I love for Advent and as we wrap up all our writing projects.

For a New Beginning

In out-of-the-way places of the heart,

Where your thoughts never think to wander,

This beginning has been quietly forming,

Waiting until you were ready to emerge.

For a long time it has watched your desire,

Feeling the emptiness growing inside you,

Noticing how you willed yourself on,

Still unable to leave what you had outgrown.

It watched you play with the seduction of safety

And the gray promises that sameness whispered,

Heard the waves of turmoil rise and relent,

Wondered would you always live like this.

Then the delight, when your courage kindled,

And out you stepped onto new ground,

Your eyes young again with energy and dream,

A path of plenitude opening before you.

Though your destination is not yet clear

You can trust the promise of this opening;

Unfurl yourself into the grace of beginning

That is at one with your life’s desire.

Awaken your spirit to adventure;

Hold nothing back, learn to find ease in risk;

Soon you will be home in a new rhythm,

For your soul senses the world that awaits you.[5]

[1] Sullivan, The Secret History of Oxford.

[2] Pam Lau. DGLP Blog.  Context is Everything. 28 August 2023.

[3] Fukuyama “Identity : The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment

[4] Steven Pressfield. The War of Art. p. 120

[5] PenguinRandomhouse.com. “To Bless the Space Between Us by John O’Donohue: 9780385522274 | PenguinRandomHouse

Pam Lau

Pamela Havey Lau brings more than 25 years of experience in speaking, teaching, writing and mediating. She has led a variety of groups, both small and large, in seminars, trainings, conferences and teachings. Pam’s passion is to see each person communicate with their most authentic voice with a transparent faith in Jesus Christ. With more than 10, 000 hours of writing, researching, and teaching the heart and soul of Pam’s calling comes from decades of walking alongside those who have experienced healing through pain and peace through conflict. As a professor and author, Pam deeply understands the role of mentoring and building bridges from one generation to another. She has developed a wisdom in how to connect leaders with their teams. Her skill in facilitating conversations extends across differences in families, businesses, schools, universities, and nonprofits. Pam specializes in simplifying complex issues and as a business owner, has helped numerous CEOs and leaders communicate effectively. She is the author of Soul Strength (Random House) and A Friend in Me (David C. Cook) and is a frequent contributor to online and print publications. You can hear Pam’s podcast on Real Life with Pamela Lau on itunes. Currently, Pam is a mediator for families, churches, and nonprofits. You can contact Pam through her website: PamelaLau.com. Brad and Pam live in Newberg, Oregon; they have three adult daughters and one son-in-law. One small, vocal dog, Cali lives in the family home where she tries to be the boss! As a family they enjoy worshiping God, tennis, good food and spending time with family and friends.

9 responses to “Writing With Light”

Pam, you wrote “I am more interested and moved by the collective efforts of all the writings: the books, our blog posts, our papers…”

I really like this. It isn’t any one book we read or blog post or conversation but all of them together creating the stanzas of a poem…or even a prayer.

Thanks for recapping the semester. It brought back a flood of good memories and inspired me for the semester to come.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Tim,
      What would have made this post even more meaningful is if we could do a summary of each person’s unique contribution to our collective blog postings. Thanks for reading and commenting. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Hi Pam,
    You quoted Pressfield, ” In Pressfield’s own words he says, “Resistance is not a peripheral opponent. Resistance arises from within. It is self-generated and self-perpetuated. Resistance is the enemy within.”4

So true…In the spirit of pop culture I hearken back to an oldie but goodie. “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” ― Frank Herbert, Dune (https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/3634639-dune)

Overcoming fear/resistance…I think our cohort does this well.

Shalom.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Russell~
      I would like to hear how you differentiate between fear and resistance? Are they from the same family? Is one older or more powerful than the other? Perhaps with an answer, we could recognize what or who we are fighting internally more quickly. Merry Christmas to you!

Pam,
    I just want to say that your title, “Writing with Light” is inspiring and is spurring me onto finish my last paper. Ultimately that is our goal to not only write with light but to bring light into the situations our NPO’s are addressing. Prayer is key to all of it. I am so glad you had that time at Waverley Abbey. I didn’t think to book the prayer room but I did walk the prayer path. It is a special place.
    May you be guided with light this Advent season.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Hello! Jenny~
      Thanks for recognizing the title of the post. If I had more space/time, I would have written about the writing exercise I created years ago for my groups called, Writing With Light. In that case, I was taking people through Scripture passages with directed questions that reflected back to them where they were with God (so to speak). Thus, the title, Writing With Light, was about how praying and writing through Scripture gives us a “picture” of our connection and relationship with God. Merry Christmas to you! I don’t know about you, but I just have a few more items to complete on my paper and then I am turning my attention to much needed family, Christmas, festive food and gifts.

I was reading your poem, and felt so connected as if I knew the writer well and almost like I’ve heard it before, then looked at your footnote! Yes, John O’Donohue is my guy! I carry this book with me to every patient and have almost always found some blessing that fit for every situation I’ve ever encountered! I love this book and you do not know how much I needed this blessing in this moment! John is Celtic and there is a deep embrace of light in this season of darkness…thank you for drawing attention to the light!

• mm Pam Lau says:

Jana! I love John O’Donohue. His poetry moves me and is from a perspective I need. Thank you for reading the poem at the end of my post! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

5. Hey Pam, I really loved your post.

Your reflection beautifully captures the essence of this semester’s journey in studying leadership and writing. The concept of “Writing with Light” as opposed to resisting is a profound perspective. Your exploration of the various readings and their impact on your understanding of leadership and personal growth demonstrates the depth of your engagement with the material. The emphasis on community and prayer as guiding lights in this academic and spiritual voyage adds a rich dimension to your reflection. Thank you for sharing this enlightening perspective.