Wisdom is the Redemptive Knowledge

The first time I heard the name Jordan Peterson was in 2018.  Sitting in the back two rows of my Fall 2018 communication courses was a group of young men between the ages of 22-30 who found themselves enrolled in college after time serving in the military.  Several weeks into listening to their responses to basic communication theory and to their uncommon topics for argumentative speeches, I became curious and intentionally reached out to each one.  Over coffee or a walk, I discovered the many things the young men had in common besides their non-traditional ages and the military–each one of them named Jordan Peterson as the author and speaker who gave them identity, hope and a reason to earn their degree.  Without delay, I read Peterson’s book, 12 Rules of Life: An Antidote for Chaos, before the semester came to an end which launched a rich dialogue among my students and myself.  Given our distaste for rules, I was surprised by how the young people who read Peterson hungered for rules–or at least they were hungering for guidelines. Yet, they boldly explained to me the seemingly contradictory ideas on morality in which they were raised leaving them feeling chaotic, disoriented and uncertain. I laughed when I read the first rule and chapter title: “Stand up Straight with Your Shoulders Back.”[1] Jordan Peterson’s YouTube speeches and writings captured their imaginations–and seemingly more important–a new wisdom for life.  

The Book Jordan Peterson Wrote 20 Years Earlier

As I took time this week to read Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief, I found a very different approach to Peterson’s thinking. In Maps of Meaning, he organizes his insights around universal themes of world mythology explaining how all cultures create stories to help us understand and ultimately “map” the chaos into which we are all born.  Although not as straightforward as 12 Rules, Peterson seems to find solace while writing Maps of Meaning in declaring that “wisdom is the redemptive knowledge.”[2]  Two reflections I am taking from this seemingly stream of consciousness book are Suffering and Stories.

Suffering

Victor Frankl, who writes about his time in a Nazi concentration camp, says this about suffering:

“If there is a meaning in life at all, then there must be a meaning in suffering. Suffering is  an eradicable part of life, even as fate and death. Without suffering and death, human life cannot be complete”[3] 

Rather than just write about suffering philosophically, Peterson synthesizes the meaning of mythology and our human need for story; he addresses the world as unexplored territory as metaphor for our beliefs and suffering.

Expounding in great detail with the metaphor of a family, Peterson draws the picture of The Great Mother as nature, creative and destructive; The Great Father representing culture, protective and tyrannical yet cumulative wisdom; The Divine Son as the exploratory Word. By creating a Trinitarian model of the world as he perceives it, Peterson then explores the gift of the problem he was given: How can men do terrible things to one another?  I kept waiting for the author to address the problem of sin and suffering–what I did find was that sin was used in the stories[4] he interspersed throughout the book. As I read over the book (not in-depth), I was left wondering what beliefs he held about heaven and hell, sin and suffering.

Stories

It’s in his three levels of analysis within the first 200 pages of the book where Jordan Peterson relies on story as a map of meaning–or as he writes, “a strategy for emotional regulation and behavioral output.”[5]  What captured my attention was Peterson’s connection to stories and ideologies:

“Stories are all ideologies. Ideologies are attractive, credulous, despite its skepticism–particularly if those who embody or otherwise promote them allow the listener every  opportunity to identify with the creative and positive characters of the story and to deny their association with the negative.”

Reading how all stories are powerful and dangerous ideologies, I was reminded of the book we read earlier this semester, Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture, where Petrusek and Collins focus on four Western secular political theories.[6] 

After reading about the ideologies, I experienced the ephemeral fear that often accompanies a discussion of politics. In reading Peterson this week, I see where that fear comes from. He states that ideological power stems from two things:

1) Their incomplete but effective appropriation of myths; and  

2) Their attractiveness in combination with their incompleteness.

Wisdom

Jordan Peterson wrote Maps of Meaning with the driving question of How can men do terrible things to one another? I am left with more of a prayer than an answer to Peterson’s search for meaning.  The Apostle James writes, “Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show by good conduct that their works are done in the meekness of wisdom.” Peterson embodies much knowledge and I am grateful to him for speaking into the lives of the younger generation.  In the end, do we think Peterson has created his own ideology? Might he be hiding from his own fantasy and wishes? I have no idea.  May wisdom be his, and our, redemptive knowledge–the kind of wisdom from above that James writes about: “Pure, peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy . . .”

What noticeable similarities do you see in Peterson’s ideologies to other authors?

[1] Peterson, Jordan B. 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos. Random House Canada, 2018.

[2] Peterson, Jordan B. Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief. New York London: Routledge, 1999.

[3] Frankl, Viktor E., William J. Winslade, and Harold S. Kushner. Man’s Search for Meaning. 1st edition. Boston: Beacon Press, 2006.

[4] Pp. 128, 210, 255, 284.

[5] Peterson, Maps of Meaning. P. 72

[6] Utilitarianism: Actions are right if they are useful or beneficial for the majority. Classical Liberalism: Advocating private property, unhampered market economy and the rule of law.Progressivism/Wokeism: Alert to radical prejudice and discrimination.Non-Theistic Conservatism. The principle of separation of church and state.

Pam Lau

Pamela Havey Lau brings more than 25 years of experience in speaking, teaching, writing and mediating. She has led a variety of groups, both small and large, in seminars, trainings, conferences and teachings. Pam’s passion is to see each person communicate with their most authentic voice with a transparent faith in Jesus Christ. With more than 10, 000 hours of writing, researching, and teaching the heart and soul of Pam’s calling comes from decades of walking alongside those who have experienced healing through pain and peace through conflict. As a professor and author, Pam deeply understands the role of mentoring and building bridges from one generation to another. She has developed a wisdom in how to connect leaders with their teams. Her skill in facilitating conversations extends across differences in families, businesses, schools, universities, and nonprofits. Pam specializes in simplifying complex issues and as a business owner, has helped numerous CEOs and leaders communicate effectively. She is the author of Soul Strength (Random House) and A Friend in Me (David C. Cook) and is a frequent contributor to online and print publications. You can hear Pam’s podcast on Real Life with Pamela Lau on itunes. Currently, Pam is a mediator for families, churches, and nonprofits. You can contact Pam through her website: PamelaLau.com. Brad and Pam live in Newberg, Oregon; they have three adult daughters and one son-in-law. One small, vocal dog, Cali lives in the family home where she tries to be the boss! As a family they enjoy worshiping God, tennis, good food and spending time with family and friends.

17 responses to “Wisdom is the Redemptive Knowledge”

1. Jennifer Vernam says:

Pam, your recounting of the young men you met and their attraction to the rules and structure that Peterson provides jumped out at me as I read your post. I too, wrote about the impact that he had on one of my son’s. Your review helped me find a connection between what we we have been learning in our reading on post-modernism as well as intersectionality: perhaps these rules and structures feel like a relief from the societal pessimism we have seen charging these new ideologies.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Jen,
      Once I respond, I’ll head over to your post to read. As I read your response about the pessimism needing a place to find relief, I suddenly realized we could be discovering why so many (thousands upon thousands) of Christians blindly follow strong and domineering personalities like Mark Driscoll and Brett Meeder: They want someone outside of themselves to stop the pain, the chaos and tell them what to do!

Hi

As always, I enjoyed reading your evaluation of the readings.

I especially was interested in your interaction with young military men regarding Peterson. I do need to review the book that you mentioned. Thanks.

Peterson is deep waters and the way you dive in, go deep, and come out with pearls is amazing to me.

You wrote, “Jordan Peterson wrote Maps of Meaning with the driving question of How can men do terrible things to one another? I am left with more of a prayer than an answer to Peterson’s search for meaning.”

I had not consider praying for Peterson and his spiritual quest. I see his catholic upbringing (like mine) in his writing, but I could not find the Holy Spirit – the helper/counselor guiding him in his search. I know in my own Catholic education that the Holy Spirit comes somewhere after Mary.

He seems surprised that our Free Will and our Fall create the sinful atrocities we see in Ukraine, Gaza, Myanmar.

Is Peterson returning to the old question, “Why do bad things happen to good people?”

While I will forget his name, I will remember his idea of mapping – an interesting concept that I have heard several of our professors mention.

All those of you who have ears…

Selah…

• mm Pam Lau says:

Russell, I appreciate your reminder of Peterson’s Catholic background which does explain, in part, his fixation with the metaphors he uses. I agree with you, though, I didn’t see any mention of the Holy Spirit, even metaphorically. To be honest, I didn’t read word for word. Thank you for your kind words about my posts. I love how we learn from one another.

Thanks to AI….
    Stand up straight with your shoulders back: This rule emphasizes the importance of adopting a posture of confidence and readiness to take on life’s challenges, akin to the dominance hierarchies observed in lobsters.

Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping: Encourages readers to show the same care and consideration for themselves as they would for others, recognizing their own worth and taking responsibility for their well-being.

Make friends with people who want the best for you: Advises choosing friends who support and wish well for you, as they can have a significant impact on your success and happiness.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today: Focuses on personal growth and self-improvement by measuring progress against one’s own past performance rather than against others.

Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them: Highlights the importance of setting boundaries and disciplining children in a way that fosters respect and likability, ensuring they develop into individuals who can function well in society.

Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world: Encourages individuals to address their own issues and improve their personal lives before attempting to fix larger societal problems.

Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient): Advocates for a life focused on long-term meaning and purpose over short-term gain, suggesting that this leads to a more fulfilling existence.

Tell the truth – or, at least, don’t lie: Stresses the importance of honesty and integrity in building trust and meaningful relationships.

Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t: Promotes open-mindedness and the value of listening to others, as everyone has unique experiences and knowledge to share.

Be precise in your speech: Encourages clear and specific communication, arguing that this helps to confront and resolve problems more effectively.

Do not bother children when they are skateboarding: Warns against overprotectiveness and excessive risk-aversion, suggesting that encountering and overcoming risks is essential for development.

Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street: Offers a reminder to find and appreciate the small, joyful moments in life, especially during times of hardship and suffering.

I prefer dogs…but the rest is fun to read.

Selah…

4. Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Pam,
    Great minds think alike! I also used Victor Frankl in my post. I read his life story quite a few years ago and was so inspired to know that suffering can shape and form us for the better no matter how severe. The whole aspect of dying to self is a core component of the gospel. I, too, would like to dig further to see where Peterson stands on this.

One thing that struck me about Peterson was his deep awareness that evil wasn’t just something that someone else could aspire to, but that we all have the ability to become evil. I felt he was on target here, but followed up with man’s ability to choose what is right on his own. This is where I wonder where he stands on our need for a Savior to save us and instruct us in the way of righteousness.
    Thank you for your thought-provoking post.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Esther, I am so honored you shared the term “great minds” with me! Most weeks, I feel like I am slogging through these books trying to find a golden thread!

I find it interesting you talk about Peterson’s view about evil and that any one of us is capable of doing horrific acts. When reading about his time in the prison with the quite, peaceful man who led him out of the hallway, I was stunned when Peterson said he was a mass murderer. In that same section, he writes how he allowed himself to imagine that he did the horrible act. I became so uncomfortable with the whole experiment–how is that helpful? Although I agree we are all sinners and capable of hurting others, I cannot fathom participating in an exercise where I take on a murderer’s mindset. That feels evil. Thank you for you response and kind words. I will now head over to your post.

5. Kally Elliott says:

“I was surprised by how the young people who read Peterson hungered for rules–or at least they were hungering for guidelines.” I find myself arguing for guidelines, a container, even some rules, for children and teens in the church. I’m not saying we should indoctrinate them or teach them to believe everything without question, but to give them a foundation from which they can then ask good questions. I think some churches, with good intentions, have swung so far away from doctrine, rules, guidelines, containers, that our kids are growing up without a solid sense of who they are and Whose they are. I appreciate you pointing out that these young people you spoke to, were hungering for rules or at least guidelines.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Kally,
      As I was reading your response, my first thought was how your NPO for the Wellness center and mental health could focus on providing guidelines, a container, even some rules for children and teens in the church. This morning I met with my former pastor from Lake Grove Presbyterian Church. His wife is a grade school teacher who is taking an 8 month sabbatical from teaching because the students are not being parented. He said parents don’t have rules at home anymore. She became so mentally exhausted, she had to leave. Perhaps Peterson is on to something when it comes to mental health for children and teens!! In taking that thought a step further, the parents would need to buy in to those rules and guidelines. What do you see? I am now curious!

6. mm John Fehlen says:

Pam, you have so accurately captured my feelings about Peterson in this one passage of your blog:

“Peterson embodies much knowledge and I am grateful to him for speaking into the lives of the younger generation. In the end, do we think Peterson has created his own ideology? Might he be hiding from his own fantasy and wishes?”

So well said, and I couldn’t agree more. I’m grateful for him, but apprehensive of the following he has garnered – particularly of young men.

Have you seen his video “Message to the Christian Church” specifically about young men? Facinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ytLpO7mj0

• mm Pam Lau says:

John,
      Thank you for sending this link! I have not heard this talk yet and will listen on my walk today. I am praying that our young men will be cared for, loved and led with extravagant wisdom and grace as soon as possible. We have a entire generation of young men who are being beaten down–not just with voices but with images. You’d be an awesome voice for them!

7. Scott Dickie says:

Pam,

I haven’t read all the comments to your blog (there’s a lot!), but I can also affirm Peterson’s appeal to young men (my nephew and to a lesser degree my oldest son) who, in my view, are reacting against the ‘far left’ ideologies that are adopted by their peers with only a paper-thin understanding of the issues. It doesn’t make sense to them…and Peterson gives voice and rationale to some of their experience. Some of this might be a good….some of it might not be…but I do think Peterson is giving an ideology or a ‘map’ to a certain demographic in North America. Some of this might be a desire to expand his influence, some of it might be capitalizing on financial opportunities…but her is certainly gathering a ‘following.’

Equally important, he is modelling a way of interacting with others that will often fly in the face of the respectful, willing to listen, kind dialogue that we have read is important for real communication, understanding, and change to take place in our society. While I haven’t done a deep dive on Peterson, I would tend to view a decent amount of his content as reasonable, and his presentation as a little lacking.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Scott,
      Thank you for your in-depth look at Peterson (I did read your blogpost, too). Let’s talk further — even here about what you are seeing when you say Peterson communicates in a way that goes against all that we are being “trained” to do when it comes to resolving conflict, listening, being tolerant. I think that’s fascinating. One issue I take with it, though, is that we don’t need more Mark Driscolls in the world of Christianity. We certainly don’t want to model for our young men that arrogance and authoritarianism is the way to build a life. What else do you see in Peterson’s communication style that we could learn from?

8. Travis Vaughn says:

The most noticeable similarities I saw in Peterson’s ideas in Maps of Meaning was to Jonathan Campbell’s Hero’s Journey. Additionally, two evangelical co-authors that came to mind were Michael Goheen and Craig Bartholomew, given their approach to Christianity as a six-act drama in the book The Drama of Scripture. They highlighted the storied form of the Christian metanarrative and the Bible’s plotline as a framework that is instructive for the Christian faith (essentially… creation – fall – redemption). They diverge from Peterson in that they write about Christianity as the “True Story of the Whole World” (the title of their shortened version of The Drama of Scripture) and Jesus as the true Savior. Peterson’s approach to Christ in Maps of Meaning was metaphorical and symbolic (he talks about that in the podcast we were assigned to listened to). Perhaps his approach to the Christian faith may be different in his new book which comes out this year (I learned about this reading Scott’s blogpost).

• mm Pam Lau says:

Travis,
      I really appreciate that you answered my last question from my blog. Thanks for the reminder that we were assigned a podcast to listen to! I, too, am interested in reading Peterson’s next book to see where he is landing now. But I want to ask you what I asked Scott:

One issue I take with Peterson’s following of young men, though, is that we don’t need more Mark Driscolls in the world of Christianity. We certainly don’t want to model for our young men that arrogance and authoritarianism is the way to build a life. What else do you see in Peterson’s communication style that we could learn from?