Who Needs Theology? – I Do.

WHO NEEDS THEOLOGY?

I was tempted!  Into a 10 hour flight to Brazil, I began surfing the media console seeing  what movie options I had.  There it was – Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter!  No, I wouldn’t watch something so stupid, but yet it lured me in with the first line.  “History prefers legends than men.” 

However, after about five minutes, I repented and changed the channel and ended up watching “Brave” – a fun Disney movie about a princess changing her fate.  But that first line stuck and made me think about the book I’ve been reading.

In “Who Needs Theology” the first paragraph makes a statement, “Happy is the Christian who has never met a theologian.”  A bit of truth perhaps, but what does that type of happiness lead to?  Why are we afraid of contemplating life’s most basic questions including questions about God – or in other words, thinking about theology?

Like the phrase in the movie About Lincoln and vampires – that I didn’t finish – we could use a similar phrase and say that “Christians prefer folk theology.”

Folk theology is un-reflective and non-critical thinking regarding what we believe and how what we believe translates to life and behavior.  I want to stay away from that.  Folk Theology is reacting to life with trite phrases which although have little validity but presents a neat wrapper around hard questions.  Folk Theology is safe, it’s comfortable, but is it a correct way to view life? 

Right away, the authors admit that there will be objections when people are encouraged to learn to think critically and learn a little about theology.  “Theology takes the life out of Christianity,” or that theology is too divisive many think.  Some call it “useless speculation” and others are convinced that dwelling on theology doesn’t allow a believer to grow in their faith.

But surprisingly, the reason I feel is most significant for understanding theology, is its unifying quality.  The possibility of Christians actually getting along makes the study of theology at the least, worthy of a brief examination.  As believers reflect upon their beliefs, examine their way of life and why they live and believe the way they do, a question arise – “how important is that?”

In this day and age, when three people in a room will have three different opinions on church doctrine and correct actions and behaviors, I am encouraged when a group of believers discover those crucial beliefs (dogma) that can be agreed upon.  Theology will help us come together; help us determine those elements that are non-negotiable.

Theology however can take us further than just defining the essentials.  It can help us interface with life in our world.  It can actually help us live day to day, as one who understands why and what they believe will live in peace, understanding his or her purpose before God.

If you want to deepen your belief and grow from a position of believing Folk Theology, to truly understanding the “why’s” of life, join me in learning about theology.

gfesadmin