Who Am I That You Are Mindful of Me?

Each year, when our school district returns from summer vacation the staff are presented with a new inspirational focus, or buzz word, to frame our collaborative work.  It is a method for framing our thinking around our collective mission and pursuits.  This year, when we returned to begin the 2023-24 school year, we were presented with our district-wide focus for the year:  DIGNITY (see image).  A statement to staff read. . . (the name of the district) is dedicated to creating teaching and learning environments that honor the dignity of each student while providing inclusive, engaging, challenging and relevant instructional experiences. Within our world-class programs and unparalleled academic options, each and every student is supported in realizing their aspirations for life, career and college.  In an effort to highlight the need for recognizing the worth of all people, this is in response to a manifestation of the identity politics phenomenon that Fukuyama discusses in his book.  We desire to honor the dignity of our students.

In a world filled with divisive politics and deep societal rifts, Francis Fukuyama’s book, Identity: The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment, offers a thought-provoking exploration of the role that identity plays in shaping our societies and our politics. Fukuyama takes readers on a journey through the complexities of identity politics, tracing its origins, understanding its implications, and proposing ways to address the challenges it presents. As I read, I made connections to Carl Truman’s book Strange New World:  How Thinkers and Activists Redefined Identity and Sparked The Sexual Revolution. Truman tracks dramatic changes in society today related to the rise of cultural normativity of the expressive individual self. [1] Both Truman and Fukuyama describe Jean-Jacques Rousseau as a fundamental source of many shifts in modern trends such as democracy, human rights, communism, the discipline of anthropology, and environmentalism. [2]  Rousseau initially situated identity within an individual’s inner psychological realm, emphasizing the centrality of emotions in defining a person, and subsequently asserted that society compels individuals into inauthenticity. [3]

One of the questions that came to mind as I read was the impact of social contagions, in particular through social media and tribalism, by which behaviors, emotions, or conditions have spread through a group contributing to the breakdown of identity.  If, as Fukuyama proposes that, “identity grows, in the first place, out of a distinction between one’s true inner self and an outer world of social rules and norms that does not adequately recognize that inner self’s worth or dignity”, then how has social media and the desire to belong or fit in with a group of individuals perpetuated the decline of dignity. [4]  Fukuyama examines the role of social media in amplifying identity-based grievances and facilitating the spread of extreme views. The echo chambers created by online platforms can deepen divisions and polarize societies. As we navigate the digital age, understanding the impact of technology on identity politics and human dignity is crucial.

At the heart of Fukuyama’s exploration lies the concept of dignity. He argues that human beings have an innate desire for recognition and respect, and this quest for dignity is a fundamental driver of identity politics.[5]  People seek recognition of their worth and identity, whether through race, gender, religion, or nationality.  In an increasingly interconnected world, the clash between the demand for recognition and the challenges it poses to social solidarity is more evident than ever.   

Fukuyama delves into the historical context of identity politics, tracing its roots back to the Civil Rights Movement and other social justice movements of the 20th century. While these movements have achieved significant progress in securing rights and recognition for marginalized groups, Fukuyama argues that identity politics has evolved and, in some cases, turned divisive.  He notes “we need, in other words, a better theory of the human soul. [6] 

Fukuyama’s book encourages readers to engage in honest conversations about identity, recognizing that diverse societies can find strength in their differences when they are bound by a common commitment to democratic values and shared ideals. Like Fukuyama, Trueman admonishes readers seek to understand our times in order to respond to our times. 

These thoughts, regarding the identity and dignity of individuals within a greater society, challenge me to ruminate over a few questions:  

• How have my beliefs and opinions been shaped by the world around me?  
  • How do those beliefs about the dignity of human beings align (or misalign) with scripture?
  • How does a follower of Jesus become more integrated to live more fully into their identity?  
  • In what ways can I assist others in realizing and living out the Imago Dei within themselves?
  • Who am I that you are mindful of me?

“What is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?

You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor. 

You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet all flocks and herds, 

and the animals of the wild, the birds in the sky, and the fish in the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas. 

Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!”  

Psalm 8:4-9

[1]  Carl R. Trueman, Strange New World:  How Thinkers and Activists Redefined Identity and Sparked the Sexual Revolution (Wheaton, Illinois:  Crossway, 2022), 29.

[2]  Francis Fukuyama, Identity: The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment (New York, New York: Picador, 2018), 29.

[6]  Ibid, 11.

Cathy Glei

Cathy Glei brings more than 25 years of experience in teaching, leading and coaching. She currently is an Instructional Coach and loves to support individuals in discovering who God has made them to be, both professionally and personally. She has led a variety of professional development opportunities, trainings and workshops both in the fields of education and ministry. Cathy desires to support individuals in discovering the Creator's design and image within. Cathy and her husband, Steve, live in Michigan with their seven year old Springer, Otis. They have three adult daughters and two son-in-laws. Together, they enjoy the company of friends (both old and new) in their home, as well as cycling, camping, backpacking and hiking. They can be found hiking and enjoying the outdoors with Otis right alongside them.

11 responses to “Who Am I That You Are Mindful of Me?”

Hi Cathy,
    I love these questions:
    How have my beliefs and opinions been shaped by the world around me?
    How do those beliefs about the dignity of human beings align (or misalign) with scripture?
    How does a follower of Jesus become more integrated to live more fully into their identity?
    In what ways can I assist others in realizing and living out the Imago Dei within themselves?
    Who am I that you are mindful of me?
    As I sat and reflected upon them I noticed how much my years living overseas has impacted my thinking. Not really a new revelation for me, but an invitation to look a little more closely. I have a tendency to think my experiences have broadened my perspective in positive ways, but I have to be aware of possible drawbacks. In switching the water I swim in I may be unaware of some blind spots. Thank you for the questions!

2. Travis Vaughn says:

Cathy, that’s a pretty compelling district-wide statement. Is that a statement that changes from year-to-year? Also, I’m curious whether or not the district’s administration invites others within the district to speak into statements like this (to share in the ownership of the mission).

(Bonus questions that you don’t have to answer – ha!): Have you ever taken inventory of those factors that may have most influenced how your beliefs and opinions evolved over time? Similarly, (how) did your experience growing up in your home shape some particular ways you approached the need for recognition and respect that Fukuyama says are innate desires in human beings?

Great post!

• Cathy Glei says:

Travis,
      The statement is added to each year focusing on different aspects. A team of administrators and district leaders crafted the logo and focus statement.

Thank you for the questions. I prayerfully revisit these questions often inviting the Holy Spirit to search me and know my every thought to see if there is any wicked way in me. They often end in confession and realignment.

3. Esther Edwards says:

Hi, Cathy,
    You have touched on so many thought-provoking points. Thank you for pulling out Fukayama’s thoughts regarding the digital age and its impact in the area of identity. This, I’m sure, could be a book in and of itself. How is your school navigating this area in view of a student’s self-worth and dignity?

• Cathy Glei says:

The building is evaluating everything closely (for implicit biases especially), from the curricular resources used to how the staff and students interact with one another.

4. mm Kim Sanford says:

Thanks for your thoughtful post, Cathy. You did a good job summarizing Fukuyama’s work and reminding me of a few points that I had forgotten. I really appreciated reading this book, but I got stuck on his proposed solution. « A common commitment to democratic values and shared ideals » sounds great, but what does that look like in a deeply divided society like we see today? My bias is showing through but it seems like « democratic values » aren’t universally shared these days. I struggle to see how to apply Fukuyama’s work when there is little to no common ground, or « shared ideals » as he calls them.

What are you thoughts? How do you think about applying this on a broad/political level but also on an interpersonal level?

• Cathy Glei says:

I contemplated Fukuyama’s historical backdrop to the progression of modern thought more, connecting it to Trueman’s work. The progression of modern thought, both authors seem to highlight, represents a veering away from moral truths and leaning more toward moral relativism. How I lean. . . I believe all scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.

Cathy,
    I ran out of room to talk about the internet identities that abound on the web. So I am glad you put that in here.

Ahh…the internet, we can see lives taken horribly in Israel juxtaposed next to the new fat grizzly bear champion.

The anonymity of the internet reminds me of Judges 21:25 says, “In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as he saw fit.”

Life, Liberty and the pursuit (of my happiness), is a double edged sword. It comes with authority to be whatever IDENTITY I choose to be. IF is goes against social and legal convention so be it.

I have no answer, just frustration.

Today I identify as a Christian Husband and Father.

Shalom

6. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Cathy!

You wrote:
    “The echo chambers created by online platforms can deepen divisions and polarize societies. As we navigate the digital age, understanding the impact of technology on identity politics and human dignity is crucial.”

Your post has piqued my interest and it offers valuable insights into the author’s concerns regarding human dignity in the midst of the digital technology era. Thank you!

What I would like to delve deeper into is whether there is any room for opportunity at all for efforts for human dignity within the realm of social media. If so, why? If not, why not?

7. mm John Fehlen says:

This set of questions is incredible:

1. How have my beliefs and opinions been shaped by the world around me?
    2.. How do those beliefs about the dignity of human beings align (or misalign) with scripture?
    3. How does a follower of Jesus become more integrated to live more fully into their identity?
    4. In what ways can I assist others in realizing and living out the Imago Dei within themselves?
    5. Who am I that you are mindful of me?

I love how you culminated with the Psalm 8 question, which keeps everything within a biblical and appropriate construct, marked by humility and surrender to God.

8. Jennifer Vernam says:

Wow. I really like the framework your district is using! Anytime I see the word “dignity” on a strategic initiative, my ears perk up and I lean in. It seems to indicate that your employer is digging into the philosophies ideas behind inclusion work and not just paying it lip service.

Also, I agree with others who have highlighted your insightful questions that force us to do some slow thinking around what might be our operating assumptions.

Nice post!