Where is your dignity Black Woman?

Where is your dignity Black Woman?

Politics and Dignity being mentioned in the same title seemed interesting to me. I found that I enjoyed reading what the author had to say about it. I especially paid lots of attention to his mentions of the treatment of women in the workplace. I also thought that the writer was accurate and explain how African Americans were seen as invisible. I will focus on both of those ideas in this writing.

A report from the U.S. Census Bureau, states that in 2021 women were only earning 84% of what men were earning in professional jobs. As a woman, I am disturbed that this trend continues but also not surprised. In college, I remember paying a tuition, sitting in classes, and taking test. Men had done the same but did not seem to be fighting as hard to have a place in the world. In 1996 we were still listening to the world tell us what was considered a man’s job. Even after fighting for Women’s Rights in the 1960’s and having success through the Civil Rights Act, it seems that the dignity of women continues to suffer. We continue to fight, but what evidence do we have that we will see equality and feel worth from it.

The treatment of African Americans and women are somewhat similar, but very different. Women may have at times felt as if they are invisible but African Americans were invisible because they were not seen as human beings according to the writer and many others. In the professional setting in the past the norm had been white men before white women and white women before black man, but black men did get to be chosen before a black woman. The level of divide in that treatment alone could decrease feelings of worth.

Today some of these practices have changed greatly. Although the exercise of treating these individuals as if they have no worth seems to be increasing. There seems to be a push to have the government and other sectors choose with what women do their bodies and what African Americans do with their hair. Both are personal decisions one would think, but somehow the control keeps landing under a gavel. Some argue this is just treatment and it does not threaten the dignity of the people directly affected. I on the hand agree with Dr. King in his saying that, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” Even in our high-ranking leadership positions, there is a need to treat people fairly and if we can not abide by this, are we truly doing the work of (in God we trust).

― Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from the Birmingham Jail

Fukuyama, Francis. Identity

Shonell Dillon

A daughter of the KING of kings and the LORD of lords. A lover of LIFE!

4 responses to “Where is your dignity Black Woman?”

1. mm Daron George says:

Shonnell,

I deeply resonate with this post. The quote by Dr. King, ‘Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere,’ struck a chord with me. In his book ‘Identity,’ Fukuyama acknowledges the pivotal role of identity politics in mobilizing around issues of racial equality, civil rights, and social justice. This recognition aligns with the broader discussion of how marginalized groups, including ours, have harnessed their identities to advance their interests and seek recognition.

My question is, how can we, as black men and women, effectively lead and mobilize around an identity that carries such profound historical and social weight? Is there a way to do so without inadvertently marginalizing others, or is that even a concern we should be mindful of?

2. Shonnell, we met you in Oxford.
    Your post is thought-provoking. “Even in our high-ranking leadership positions, there is a need to treat people fairly and if we cannot abide by this, are we truly doing the work of (in God we trust).”
    I tend to think that the great wording in our governments’ official documents, like “In God We Trust,” means nothing more than a good desire or wish. Otherwise, horrible atrocities would not have happened had they really been rooted in the faith of our Lord Jesus.

3. Shonnell,
    Thank you for your post. I would so enjoy being able to sit with you and listen and learn more. Thank you for sharing and helping me think deeper. Well Done!

4. Alana Hayes says:

Thank you for your post! I appreciate you bringing attention to both!